UMI Adjustable Rear Uppers - Chevelle Tech
UMI Performance

2Likes
  • 1 Post By sampoerna415
  • 1 Post By lucifershammer

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 20, 6:10 PM Thread Starter

UMI Adjustable Rear Uppers

So I just installed these UMI Adjustable rear upper control arms and forgot to check which direction extends or retracts while they were on the bench. If I'm laying on my back under the car looking up with my feet at the bumper , which way do I turn the turnbuckle to extend the control arm to add length ???? ..Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 20, 8:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rame

Garage
Re: UMI Adjustable Rear Uppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firetick1 View Post
So I just installed these UMI Adjustable rear upper control arms and forgot to check which direction extends or retracts while they were on the bench. If I'm laying on my back under the car looking up with my feet at the bumper , which way do I turn the turnbuckle to extend the control arm to add length ???? ..Any help is appreciated.
Probably not best to double post, but one of the best things about buying from UMI is their support, so perhaps call them, I'm not trying to be ugly here but I don't know what bolts they used, or may or may not have changed over the years or if they kept the manual up with it. You can't take info like this in blind faith, you are just going to have to get under the car and do it and see for yourself.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 20, 9:22 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Re: UMI Adjustable Rear Uppers

It’s pretty easy to figure out with a little trial and error.

What I did was put a little mark on each turnbuckle so I had a reference point. Then I simply loosened up the lock nuts and started turning keeping track of how many turns I made. I then checked to see if it got longer or shorter. That told me which way to turn it. I then put them back to where I started.

For me, I didn’t actually care much which way was in or out though, because I was adjusting the pinion angle with them, and turned each side equally watching the pinion angle move the direction I wanted, and if it went the wrong way, I turned them the other way.

After I was done, I checked rear end for center again, and it was.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

1972 Chevelle, 454, 200-4r non-lockup, 12 bolt 3.73
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in