View Single Post
post #42 of (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 17, 4:03 PM
67EC
Tech Team
Frank

Re: Big Block vs LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew540 View Post
Somebody asked a question on the difference I see between the two motor/cars I own LS vs BBC. Well my 540 BBC does 550 / 515 hp/tq to the tire and the LS does 610 / 565 hp/tq to the tire on the same dyno. The other thing is Chevelle weighs 3,780 pounds full tank of gas Corvette weighs 3,180 pounds full tank of gas. As far as speed and pulling goes to the Corvette has it over my Chevelle the combination of the 600 pounds and the 60 rwhp is very noticeable. The 540 has a lot of power buy Mr. Turbo 400 wants a lot of that and thus probably 25% power loss versus the stick Corvette with new technology 15% power loss. So the motors are probably pretty close in power but driveline takes it away. The Corvette is about 138 mph while Chevelle is 127 mph in 1/4 mile. As far as sound the 540 is a tone lower and the 3.5 inch exhaust helps that. The Corvette has a 3 inch exhaust with cats, both cars all the way out the back. The LS revs a little easier. LS little better throttle response, but that is the fuel injection versus carb. I agree with the LS good engine comments above but as a few people mentioned sort of looks nice with a big block under there. Also very simple set up no computer stuff which can be good and bad.
Interesting info and a little depressing! Ive always wanted to see the difference between an LS 454 and a BBC 454 with AFR or equivalent heads. With around the same cam specs I'd figure they'd be close, but not so sure now!

64 Chevy II, L92 6.0, 57mm S200s, AWD with Syclone/Astro transfer case

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

63 Impala, 454ho short block, 265 afr heads, 60mm S300s
62 Biscayne LS3 turbo, M23

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome