post #24 of (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 16, 2:44 AM
1966_L78
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
Re: 11 year old tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Keep this in mind when considering running old tires due to the cost, new tires are way cheaper than paint and body work. Circumstances of the failure may also injure or kill you or someone else, that could cost your family everything you own. Spend the money on new tires, $600 - $1000 investment isn't worth the risk.
Sure,

But along those lines, any new car, perhaps a V6 Camry, will be safer, and probably cheaper and quicker than an old Chevelle...

Truthfully, I'd really like to know the reasoning. I have had a few people tell be its because the "rubber" has changed, with more "polymers", etc, that break down regardless of UV/sunlight exposure.

What really irks me, is that I had to go to 5 different tire shops before I found one willing to replace a valve stem on a set of rollers... They weren't even balanced... because of the age, most shops didn't want the liability...

Now I have the dilemma... The tires are "old", but great tread. But the wheels are thrashed, so I don't want to buy new tires for those rims, but then if I buy new rims too, that's $$$...

Funny, I just sold a set of tires; 12 and 14 years old. The buyer saw the date and mentioned that the tires go bad and they were too old. I was asking $135 for the set of 4 (275/40/17) and I figured he wasn't going to buy them.. Then the guy ended up offering me $100... Sold! I was going to dispose of them in the trash (my city will take up to 5 tires for free), but I decided to throw them up on Craigslist instead... glad I did.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome