Sniper throttle linkage extension (homemade w/pics) - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
EFI Caution: Beyond here be monsters...

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old May 18th, 18, 6:50 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Garage
Re: Sniper throttle linkage extension (homemade w/pics)

Does the TPS reach 100% if you manually open the throttle blades, right at the throttle body?

You may have a situation like I had on my present car, which was the steel rod that the gas pedal attaches to, and that pivots on the floorboard, was slightly bent, and no matter what, was not allowing the full pedal travel....basically it was "bottoming out" on the carpet, before the throttle blade was fully open....worth a look.

Also, one of my buddy's simply had the wrong cable...it worked fine on his Holley carb, but didn't have enough pull on the EFI throttle body. I ordered him a new cable, from Rock Auto, and it had 2 attachment points for the gas pedal end of the cable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
6.0 LQ4, 4L80e, 9", Turbocharged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old May 19th, 18, 12:54 PM
Tech Team

I get to 96% when it is hooked to the standard hole. It also feels like it is fully extended. The butterflies are straight up and down.

I can check the throttle cable. This is in a 78 Camaro and it is a stock Throttle cable for a 350.

It looks to me that with that slight tip backwards of the extension I am losing some of the reach. The TPS comes to 80% and I am not getting the throttle blades fully open. That second link allows me to adjust the cable if there is one available that fits the sniper. Otherwise I guess I need a different throttle cable.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old May 19th, 18, 1:48 PM
Tech Team
Tj

The further from the pivot point you go the more overall travel you need. There may not be enough travel available in the original cable and pedal setup. Try disconnecting the cable from the carb and measure the travel available and then compare that to how much travel you need in the various holes.

I suspect one reason us GM people have issues is the Qudrajet. The primaries were so small on those it took a lot of movement to get a response so they essentially used the 'small hole' and the travel was based on that. Going to the Holley style there is just too much response for the GM Q jet geometry so we move farther out which fixes the geometry but then gives us a travel issue. I wonder if there would be the same issues on a car that came with a 1 or 2bbl carb or if maybe those used a more typical geometry?

Sorry no Chevelle, 73 Cadillac Eldorado - Fairly stock low comp 500cid.
FiTech Go4 600 - Timing control via gutted 7 pin large cap HEI - Fuel RobbMc Powersurge with returns.
Previous system was Megasquirt w/Holley TBI so I am not new to DIY EFI

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old May 21st, 18, 2:34 PM
Tech Team

Thanks, good info.

I solved the travel problem on my Avenger by using the adjustable bracket which let me move the throttle cable to get more or take up the slack. I think if I could find one that fit the Sniper that would solve the problem but I still need to check the whole linkage to make sure nothing is bent.

If anyone knows if there is a bracket where the cable can be adjusted please share!!

Rel3rd, was the cable you bought for a Chevelle or a generic GM cable. I have a 78 Camaro that originally had a Quadrajet but the pics of the Chevelle cable look very similar if not the same, but the length may be different....
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 18, 1:42 AM

Hi Guys, thanks for the information and pictures I have been trying for the last couple of months to find out what the cause was for my hard throttle and couldn't fine anything on Aussie forums about the problem that's now fixed and the car drives like a manual car should, I have included some pictures of what I did as I have a drop base filter and also wanted to keep my exiting aluminum cable brackets.

Regards
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0586.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	569724   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0588.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	569726   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0587.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	569728   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0589.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	569730  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0590.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	569732  
LKN BCK likes this.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 18, 9:02 PM
Tech Team

What brand and model number is that throttle bracket. I am trying to find one that will fit the sniper and that looks like it is it....
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 18, 11:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Pack View Post
What brand and model number is that throttle bracket. I am trying to find one that will fit the sniper and that looks like it is it....
I used this with my Sniper, https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fst-304147

-Dave
70CHEVELLE396 likes this.

'70 Chevelle ZZ383/700r4/3.73, [email protected] -- MS3X efi / Hotchkis A-arms & Springs / B-body 12" brakes / 1.25" F-body swaybar / UMI rears & swaybar / JGC PwrStrUpg
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 18, 2:55 PM
Senior Tech Team
Justin

Garage
I’d like to add to this thread, I had this same exact issue with my Sniper EFI, the throttle was super sticky, very unsafe. I made that little bracket just that you guys said. Bam the throttle is cured and runs like it should!! Very good thread!!
70CHEVELLE396, rel3rd and Nobees like this.

1974 chevelle with 73 laguna nose sbc 357 Brodix IK180 heads Comp Cams XE274H Edelbrock RPM airgap 650 AED double pumper, M20 muncie, Truetrac with 3.73s
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 18, 9:50 AM
Tech Team
Rocky

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevelleFan70 View Post
I used this with my Sniper, https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fst-304147

-Dave
Thanks Dave! So just the kit alone was all that's needed? Fixed the pedal stiffness and still provides 100% WOT?
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 18, 9:59 AM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by faded67 View Post
Thanks Dave! So just the kit alone was all that's needed? Fixed the pedal stiffness and still provides 100% WOT?
Provides 100% WOT, but does not fix throttle stiffness. I haven't gotten around to finishing my little throttle linkage extension outlined in the first post of this thread.

-Dave
rel3rd likes this.

'70 Chevelle ZZ383/700r4/3.73, [email protected] -- MS3X efi / Hotchkis A-arms & Springs / B-body 12" brakes / 1.25" F-body swaybar / UMI rears & swaybar / JGC PwrStrUpg
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 18, 10:04 AM
Tech Team
Rocky

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevelleFan70 View Post
Provides 100% WOT, but does not fix throttle stiffness. I haven't gotten around to finishing my little throttle linkage extension outlined in the first post of this thread.

-Dave
Roger that. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 671 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.