E-Street 2 Write-up - Chevelle Tech
EFI Caution: Beyond here be monsters...

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 16, 7:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
James

E-Street 2 Write-up

Okay everyone. I'm going to do my best on a Edelbrock E-Street 2 w/sump tank install write up. I've noticed there is tons of information on FiTech installs, and I thought I'd provide some insight on my experience with the e-street system thus far.

Why I went with this system:
Honestly- the name says it all. This setup allows me to not have to climb under neath my car. I don't have a lift, and I'd say I have basic mechanic skills, nothing exceptional. Also I'd like to point out that my install time due to my skills is usually doubled. The car is meant to be a driver, I have started driving the car much more now, averaged about 4k miles this year, and plan on ending around 6k miles for the year. I really didn't want the car to be in mod-jail for more than a couple of weeks. I thought this would be an ideal time to install the kit due to the extremely hot weather where I live in CA, and well, you know how much fun it is to drive a car without AC in 110 degree weather.

Unboxing:
Everything is neatly wrapped, labeled, and specified. The instructions are about 27 pages long, mostly pictures, and directions explained in bullet points. Pretty easy to understand with the exception of a few areas, I'll point those out later. Edelbrock did forget to include my coolant sensor, and the correct tach signal harness. They did ship it to me, but it took over a week because their parts guy left on vacation and didn't get the order until he came back. Doh! It must have been the missing parts guy, because I can't imagine all the shipping stopped for Edlebrock while he was gone.

Installation:
I spaced everything out within 30 minute to 3 hour timeframes. I have a 2 year old and my wife is pregnant with another little girl, so finding time to wrench can be a challenge! All in all, I'd say it took me 20 hours to have everything properly installed. I'm still adjusting a few things that needed attention on the motor, so I won't count that.

1. Mounting the sump tank:
This is the most difficult part in my opinion. Edelbrock supplies two mounting brackets that bolt directly to the sump tank, that's really it. It's going to take some additional hardware in my opinion to really get the sump to mount. Luckily I had a leftover aluminum radiator bracket that I modified to make the sump tank sit on the diver side of the radiator, not the most ideal location for looks, but it will get the job done. I added in rubber washers to the bracket to aid with energy suspension. Painted everything black, mounted it up, and left it for good. I didn't get around to installing the -6AN fittings until it was time to make the fuel lines, which are Russel twist lock lines. I didn't install the sump wiring until it was time to connect the ECU harness to everything.

2. O2 Sensor
This is pretty straightforward. I didn't have to do anything but call a local exhaust shop to schedule an appointment. The instructions call for the O2 sensor to be installed greater than a 10 degree angle. This can be 45, 90, onboard or outboard, whichever works best. I was changed $60 bucks for the install.

3. Mounting the EFI:
This was pretty simple. I removed my carb and carb spacer and plopped it down. Once I placed it, there wasn't a reason to move it for any other adjustments. I have a 700r4 transmission, so I just left the existing throttle and kickdown bracket on the manifold. The kickdown linkage has 3 plates to connect to the throttle linkage, almost identical to my 650 Holley double pumper. However, it looked the same, but the middle plate didn't want to fit. I decided not to use it, and just used the two outer plates, still secure, and still functions as needed. I did rotate the fuel lines on the TB. The fuel lines would have to make a pretty nasty bend, due to my sump placement, so I rotated the lines 180 degrees to make a nice clean connection later. Additional note: the new EFI is WAY lighter than the carb. Easy to handle with only one hand.

4. Wiring:
I spent a lot of time figuring out the wiring. My car already had some electrical issues before. I actually ended up sorting them all out by the end of the install. I really wanted to make sure all the connections went to the correct places. There are 4 wires to connect for the whole install, not including the Edlebrock ignition control Distributer, which I installed later. Anyways, there's a positive and a negative for the battery - simple.

There's a 12v when cranking ignition wire. I took some time to figure out my options for this. I looked into plugging it into he fuse box, but eventually went with sharing a connection on the MSD 6AL box for a more permanent solution.

Tach signal wire:
THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT WIRE FOR THE WHOLE INSTALL. Don't overlook it. This wire can be crazy sensitive and can cause 90% of the reported issues for the EFI kit. I had read about the problems on the Edelbrock forums and prayed my car would have a clear tach signal, especially since I have a CDI box. However, I was one of the less fortunate folks and dealt with a variety of tach signal issues.

You have a couple of different options for the tach signal wire, depending on your current setup, or desired setup. I have a CDI box, so I went with those instructions. Note: the instructions call for a gray tach signal wire coming from the CDI box. I have a box from 2004, which had a female tach input connection, no gray wire. Same function, just a different wire for the newer-ish boxes.

Attempt number one: I connected the black and white wire into pin B on the supplied tach signal harness. Cool! Done, right? Nope- the ECU harness had a 4 prong connector, and Edlebrock included the 3 prong connector from their original E-Street kit (come on quality control!!). Told Edelbrock, they got me the parts needed as I mentioned earlier in the post.

Attempt number 2:
Did the same in attempt number one, but now with the 4 prong connector. Extended the white and black wire with some of my leftover wire from my American Auto Wire kit, and then connected that to my tach signal input on the CDI box. Bam! Did as the directions called for, moving along.

Other wiring attempts to be continued later on...

5. Mounting the ECU:
I moved the ECU a total of three times. 1 time due to heat concerns, and the other 2 to clear up my tach signal issues. At first I chose to mount the ECU on the fender next to the CDI box, thinking it would be more convenient to make all the connections, just in case there wasn't enough slack from the harness to make all the connections. I laid everything out to measure beforehand, but I underestimated the amount of generous slack Edlebrock has given to make connections.

Ultimately I mounted the ECU on the passenger side firewall.

6. Coolant sensor install:
The instructions call for the sensor to be installed next to the thermostat. My temp gauge was there, so I moved that over to the driver side head, then installed the coolant sensor in its original place. Don't try to put it elsewhere, it won't give as good of a reading, trust me, I played with this.

7. Mounting the Bluetooth receiver:

The instructions call for the receiver to be mounted under the dash in the middle somewhere. It's also a magnet, so I placed mine by the heater vents (not too close). This connects directly to the ECU harness.

8. Connecting the harness:
The harness is clearly labeled and each connection has a different connector, making it physically impossible to make a wrong connection. Followed the diagrams on the instructions, and made the connections. Done.

I will say, the inline fuse holders and relays don't have much slack, which is my only complaint with the harness. This makes it much more difficult to find an inconspicuous place in the engine bay.

9. Fuel lines:
Edelbrock supplies 8 feet of Russell twist lock fuel lines for the install. They also supply a 50 micron filter, and a 10 micron fuel injection steel filter. I made a bracket for the steel filter that bolts to the sump. Painted it black, and mounted it. Some brass fittings are also included for the fuel pump, but I didn't need them.

I used the existing fuel line from the fuel pump to the 50 micron filter, and then the new Russel lines to the sump, which connects to the clearly labeled "IN" 90 degree -6AN connection. Next I ran a small line to the 10 micron filter, then a lengthier line to the fuel lines on the TB.

NOTE ABOUT TWIST LOCK:
If you don't know anything about twist lock, these lines ******* suck to install!!!

The AN fittings have two barbs. The first one is easy to clear, once you get to the second it suddenly stops. There are tons of nifty ways to install these lines correctly. None of which I knew about prior to my first attempt.

The method I took: freeze the 6AN fitting overnight, hold it in a vice clamp/grip. Heat the Russel fuel hose in boiling water, or with a heat gun (don't make the skin start to bubble!). Lube the fitting, and fuel line with motor oil, then... JAM THAT ***** on there!!! If you don't get very far past that second barb on the first attempt, well then you're pretty much screwed and need to cut it off and start over. A few of my fittings got past the second barb but didn't seat all the way, so far there hasn't been any leaks.

There's a 90 degree vent fitting for the sump take as well. I attached it with a click, fit some old fuel hose I had laying around the garage, then ran it next to the radiator pointing to the ground beneath the frame. So far there hasn't been any strong fuel smell from the vent tube.

Lastly I made my connections for the sump harness to the ECU harness. Edelbrock supplies plenty of wire to make the connections.

10. Priming the system:
Unplug the the sump harness from the ECU, and unplug the coil wire to prevent the motor from starting. I cranked the motor over for 2 20 second intervals to prime the half gallon sump tank. Once the sump tank was primed, if fueled the EFI unit by plugging in the sump harness to the ECU. Without cranking the key fully over, I powered the car by a 1/4 turn with the key to hear the sump pump kick on. I let it run 2-3 times. On the last prime, I started up the tablet...

11. Booting the tablet:
This is pretty self explanatory. Started the tablet, selected the app, then went through the tuning wizard. Engine size, cam size and ignition control pretty much sums up the process. First time starting the motor I didn't have ignition control, so I skipped over that.

12. Starting for the first time:
Holy smokes I was nervous! I double checked all of my electrical and fuel connections, then went to turn the key. Sure enough she fired right up. First things first I had to adjust the idle to match my desired RPM idle. The tablet makes you select your desired RPM, and doesn't let you move to the next step until the motor reaches 170 degrees. The TB has two screws to help you reach the desired RPM idle. In the meantime the motor is making a loud hissing noise from a vacuum hole above the four barrels on top of the unit, really loud! To help the ECU get to the desired idle, I followed the instructions on the Edlebrock website: place a piece of tape on the hissing hole, adjust the screws on the TB until the tablet shows your desired RPMs reached. BAM! Done. Note: if you installed your coolant sensor in a different place, it can take forever for the correct temp to be reached, allowing you to go to the next step on the tablet. I had mine in the back of the manifold at first, no bueno.

13. Take this bad boy out for a ride:

What's next? Well to drive it of course. Pulled out of the garage, and I could tell the ECU is trying to learn, the car is idling high and spluttering. I only took it around the neighborhood, watching the tablet on my lap to make sure everyone is working correctly. Driving around 25 MPH, the setup worked pretty well. I thought, okay, let's go to the street and punch it! Well, what a disappointment that was. I went around the corner and gunned it, only to find the front end falling on itself due to a hesitation and sputter. DAMN! Looking at the tablet I could see the RPMs jumping all over the place. Sure enough, it was the tach signal issues I had dreaded.

14. Troubleshooting:
Big shoutout to Steve Michelson at Edlebrock. I would call, and he would return my call usually within a few hours. Full of great advice. First thing to look at is the placement of the tach signal wire in the engine bay. Anything from spark plug wires, faulty alternator, bad spark plugs, sharing a tach wire with a tachometer call throw this off. I moved the tach signal wire, moved the ECU to help move the tach signal wire, installed an old alternator, installed new spark plug wires, and.... NOTHING WORKED! Gah! This was frustrating. I have the CDI box, which is the most preferred installation method, and I still didn't have a clear tach signal. I figured hell with it. Time to pony up for the ignition control unit... I wanted it anyways...

15. Ignition Control Unit Install:
This actually was pretty easy. Edelbrock supplies a harness with the kit that just plugs in from the Distributer to the ECU harness. Nothing more clear of a tach signal than that. Dropping on the Distributer is like any other. Lined it up to 12 degrees, activated spark control on the tablet, started the motor, confirmed 12 degrees, then locked it in, and tightened down the Distributer. The ECU is now controlling he ignition.

Took the car out for a test run, and it ran beautifully! Now it just needed some serious driving time to learn.

16. Pricing:

Obviously the FITECH unit is cheaper, and I didn't discover this until I discovered the forums, after I bought my unit. However, I'm still happy with my purchase.

Edelbrock EFI W/sump kit Part number 3667 $2120 from THMotorsport, free shipping, no tax. Chase new card $175 rebate from opening a new credit card and spending $500 in three months brought this down to $1,945. I then resold my 650 Holley for $300 on Craigslist to recoup some cost, bring me down to $1,645 for the unit.

Edlebrock Ignition Control Distributer: $328

02 install $60

Misc. parts: coolant, thermostat, bolts, nuts, brackets, thermostat gaskets, connectors, alternator wire: $50

All in: $2,083

17. Overall impressions:

This is a nice quality setup that is relatively hassle free (skills and car permitting). I've learned a ton about correctly tuning a car through this process. I've driven about 1000 miles, starts up and goes without any issues. WOT feels good, and AFR at cruise is around 14.7 I'm going to play with it a bit down the road to see how it likes E85. There's a few people running nitrous on this setup, even though Edelbrock says they don't support it. I don't think I will go that route. I will come back periodically and update this thread. Thanks to the folks who answered my forum questions! This is a great community!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 16, 4:55 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Garage
Re: E-Street 2 Write-up

That's really about the same price as setting up the FiTech if done with the Edelbrock sump, a new distributor with adjustable lock out, and no credit card rebate. I'd say you done good. Enjoy it
rel3rd and 69Chvll like this.

'65 Chev El Camino
350/400+HP, 700R4
Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 MPFI
Global West, QA1, Viking, Wilwood, UMI, ProForged
'68 P-11 Norton
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 16, 5:14 AM
Senior Tech Team

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review. I'm glad it's working out well for you.

Steve R
69Chvll likes this.

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 16, 9:39 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Garage
Thumbs up Re: E-Street 2 Write-up

Very nice write up!

Thanks for sharing.

Would love to see some pics if you get a chance.

So, if I read correctly, the Edelbrock sump actually has a true VENT, not something called a "vent" that is really an overflow/halfa$$ return like the Fitech sump setup has?

Have you noticed any liquid out of the vent hose?

Sounds like it's working well for you and that's awesome!
69Chvll likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
6.0, 4L80e, 3.73's = [email protected], 1.49
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 16, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
James

Here are some pictures:

Sump tank with 10 micron filter

12 volt when cranking connection, shared with the MSD 6AL box.

Tach input connection, not the gray wire like the instructions called for.

Battery connections

ECU location

In line fuse and relay location

02 Sensor

Engine bay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rel3rd likes this.
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 16, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwany View Post
That's really about the same price as setting up the FiTech if done with the Edelbrock sump, a new distributor with adjustable lock out, and no credit card rebate. I'd say you done good. Enjoy it
Thanks! I always try to find a good deal.
It has been nice starting it up with a simple turn of the key. Such a nice addition to the car since I try to daily drive it as much as possible.
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 16, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review. I'm glad it's working out well for you.

Steve R
No problem! I figured I'd share my experience in case someone needs help installing a similar setup.
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 16, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by rel3rd View Post
Very nice write up!

Thanks for sharing.

Would love to see some pics if you get a chance.

So, if I read correctly, the Edelbrock sump actually has a true VENT, not something called a "vent" that is really an overflow/halfa$$ return like the Fitech sump setup has?

Have you noticed any liquid out of the vent hose?

Sounds like it's working well for you and that's awesome!
No problem! Glad you enjoyed the review. Added some pictures this morning. Let me know if you want to see any pictures of a particular area.

It does have a true VENT. I had thought about hooking up a carbon canister to it, but I haven't had any problems with the fumes. I haven't noticed any fuel, or liquid coming out of the hose.

It's been my favorite upgrade for the Chevelle, next to disc brakes, which the car really needed. I honestly have yet to see mileage increase, but that's probably because I keep tuning/messing with the settings. I will report back after the next 200 mile drive.
rel3rd likes this.
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 16, 11:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Garage

Good deal. I'm making a very conscious effort NOT to tweak anything for at least a few hundred miles, on my new setup.

It's hard though...

Did you re-use the spacer you had with the carb?

Dual plane intake?

Heck, I'd try leaning out the cruise AFR until you get a misfire, then kick it back a few tenths.
Mine, I'll probably never see any MPG increase because as hard as I try, I can't just drive/cruise the car like a sane person, lol...

Nice job on the install. Looks good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 16, 12:19 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Chvll View Post
No problem! Glad you enjoyed the review. Added some pictures this morning. Let me know if you want to see any pictures of a particular area.

It does have a true VENT. I had thought about hooking up a carbon canister to it, but I haven't had any problems with the fumes. I haven't noticed any fuel, or liquid coming out of the hose.

It's been my favorite upgrade for the Chevelle, next to disc brakes, which the car really needed. I honestly have yet to see mileage increase, but that's probably because I keep tuning/messing with the settings. I will report back after the next 200 mile drive.
If you drive slow enough, you might see an increase in mileage, but like Bob says, driving slow is easier said than done. Spark plugs looks awesome once these TB things are dialed in, but big mileage increases are optimistic marketing jabber. Besides a throttle body is just a big wet carb with always open secondaries. Gotta feed it fuel to keep up with that much air, or it isn't going to move.

I looked seriously at that Edelbrock sump before going with an external pump, and plumbing everything myself. I'm starting to think saving the money might not have been the best choice. My vent (aka return line) is giving me grief on hard stops. I think it's going backwards.

'65 Chev El Camino
350/400+HP, 700R4
Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 MPFI
Global West, QA1, Viking, Wilwood, UMI, ProForged
'68 P-11 Norton
post #11 of 72 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 16, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by rel3rd View Post
Good deal. I'm making a very conscious effort NOT to tweak anything for at least a few hundred miles, on my new setup.

It's hard though...

Did you re-use the spacer you had with the carb?

Dual plane intake?

Heck, I'd try leaning out the cruise AFR until you get a misfire, then kick it back a few tenths.
Mine, I'll probably never see any MPG increase because as hard as I try, I can't just drive/cruise the car like a sane person, lol...

Nice job on the install. Looks good.
That takes discipline!

No, edelbrock didn't recommend it, so I took it off. I also read that a carb spacer benefits a carb, and none are really seen for a FI system. I might play with it one day to see how it behaves.

Yup dual plane - It's an edelbrock air gap performer RPM intake.

That's a good idea. I also had the exhaust shop weld an 02 bung on the other side of the exhaust to see how the passenger side of the motor AFR reads.

It is super difficult to not romp on it, and get good MPG! The setup now has such a nice throttle response.
post #12 of 72 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 16, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwany View Post
If you drive slow enough, you might see an increase in mileage, but like Bob says, driving slow is easier said than done. Spark plugs looks awesome once these TB things are dialed in, but big mileage increases are optimistic marketing jabber. Besides a throttle body is just a big wet carb with always open secondaries. Gotta feed it fuel to keep up with that much air, or it isn't going to move.

I looked seriously at that Edelbrock sump before going with an external pump, and plumbing everything myself. I'm starting to think saving the money might not have been the best choice. My vent (aka return line) is giving me grief on hard stops. I think it's going backwards.
I'm more of a street guy than a strip guy, so that's why the sump tank made so much sense for me. It's pretty unlikely I will ever have an LS motor, or anything over 600 ponies.
post #13 of 72 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 16, 1:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Garage

Quote:
That takes discipline!

No, edelbrock didn't recommend it, so I took it off. I also read that a carb spacer benefits a carb, and none are really seen for a FI system. I might play with it one day to see how it behaves.

Yup dual plane - It's an edelbrock air gap performer RPM intake.

That's a good idea. I also had the exhaust shop weld an 02 bung on the other side of the exhaust to see how the passenger side of the motor AFR reads.

It is super difficult to not romp on it, and get good MPG! The setup now has such a nice throttle response.
I'll be trying a 1/2" plate, but it isn't really meant to be a "spacer"...it'll be a nitrous plate. That's for over the winter...unless I get antsy and swap the intank pump out in the next week or two...lol. I'll report how the 1/2" plate, changes anything, or doesn't.

I had already installed a bung on the opposite side for my AEM wideband. Previously used to help dial in the carb. It's an easy way to compare side to side readings...Mine are very close to one another. If I installed a brand new sensor on the wideband, it'd probably be even closer.

Like you said, the throttle response is awesome.

post #14 of 72 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 16, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
James

Update: Increased the AFR's a tenth to 13.9 idle and 14.8 at cruise. Seems to like it so far, I'm going to drive a couple hundred miles with this setting then see if I can lean it out some more. I also have the settings set for MPG. The only thing that's a bummer, is I don't have vacuum advance to add some more timing at cruise, so my max timing right now is 42.

Current settings

Timing:
Initial 19.5
Start: 1,200 RPM
36 @ 1850 RPM
Advance: 10

Fuel:
Idle 13.9
Cruise 14.9
WOT 12.5
rel3rd likes this.
post #15 of 72 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 16, 1:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
James

Quote:
Update: Increased the AFR's a tenth to 13.9 idle and 14.8 at cruise. Seems to like it so far, I'm going to drive a couple hundred miles with this setting then see if I can lean it out some more. I also have the settings set for MPG. The only thing that's a bummer, is I don't have vacuum advance to add some more timing at cruise, so my max timing right now is 42.

Current settings

Timing:
Initial 19.5
Start: 1,200 RPM
36 @ 1850 RPM
Advance: 10

Fuel:
Idle 13.9
Cruise 14.9
WOT 12.5
Settings are still the same. MPG average has crept up to 12.5. I'm going to adjust the settings at the start of the next fuel up.

I also just switched my gearing ratio to 3:42
rel3rd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 567 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.