EFI Caution: Beyond here be monsters...

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 73 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 17, 11:43 AM

Re: E-Street 2 Write-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Chvll View Post
No problem!

I decided to go all in at a low RPM mostly to see if I could get good MPG while cruising, not ideal for WOT.

The ignition control is a lot of fun! But once you get things dialed in it's hardly worth messing with.

Still running well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I currently set mine to
22 initial, 36 Total, Start at 1000 and all in 2000. Vacuum at 10. Cruise is at 14.8 and WOT is at 12.8 a/f ratio. Runs really well and I may up the initial up to 25 degrees. I have tried 37 and 38 degrees WOT and it responds well but I decided to leave it at 36 for safety and to continue using 87 octane.

I also noticed that max timing stops at 42. And idle timing does not go higher than 26-29 even though its set to 22 with 10 vacuum. (run about 19-20 Hg of vacuum) It seems that the setting of 10 for vacuum only produces about 7 degrees max of timing advance. It reflects this also when cruising. Should be higher than 42.

My settings revolve around the way my gearing is set up. My transmission (200-4R) hits 70 mph at 1940 rpms (3.08 rear). So "all in" reflects that. The 1000 start reflects when driving around streets and overdrive hits, rpms drop to around 900 rpms and I can actually drive around 40 mph at 1000 rpms.

When I had my original distributor, my idle timing was at 36 with initial being at 18. This means I had 18 degrees of max vacuum advance. I miss that with this setup. I wish that they allowed more timing for vacuum. I will bring it up in my next phone session with Edelbrock.

Another thing I'm dealing with is my ECU does not respond to AC kickup. Edelbrock stated that it seems that all ECU's they have tested has the same issue. They sent me a new ECU and they are going to have me update the firmware to see if it fixes the problem. (Supposedly I will be the very first to have this Firmware even before it hits the Playstore. I connect with my Smartphone and Tablet.)

Do you use AC kickup (Pin out #7) feature?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 73 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 17, 1:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarantula View Post
I currently set mine to

22 initial, 36 Total, Start at 1000 and all in 2000. Vacuum at 10. Cruise is at 14.8 and WOT is at 12.8 a/f ratio. Runs really well and I may up the initial up to 25 degrees. I have tried 37 and 38 degrees WOT and it responds well but I decided to leave it at 36 for safety and to continue using 87 octane.

I also noticed that max timing stops at 42. And idle timing does not go higher than 26-29 even though its set to 22 with 10 vacuum. (run about 19-20 Hg of vacuum) It seems that the setting of 10 for vacuum only produces about 7 degrees max of timing advance. It reflects this also when cruising. Should be higher than 42.

My settings revolve around the way my gearing is set up. My transmission (200-4R) hits 70 mph at 1940 rpms (3.08 rear). So "all in" reflects that. The 1000 start reflects when driving around streets and overdrive hits, rpms drop to around 900 rpms and I can actually drive around 40 mph at 1000 rpms.

When I had my original distributor, my idle timing was at 36 with initial being at 18. This means I had 18 degrees of max vacuum advance. I miss that with this setup. I wish that they allowed more timing for vacuum. I will bring it up in my next phone session with Edelbrock.

Another thing I'm dealing with is my ECU does not respond to AC kickup. Edelbrock stated that it seems that all ECU's they have tested has the same issue. They sent me a new ECU and they are going to have me update the firmware to see if it fixes the problem. (Supposedly I will be the very first to have this Firmware even before it hits the Playstore. I connect with my Smartphone and Tablet.)

Do you use AC kickup (Pin out #7) feature?

Thanks for sharing your settings! It is strange the timing can't go much higher than 42. I've noticed that with my setup too.

No AC for me.

How many miles have you out on your setup? What stall are you running? Any good mpg gains?

I'm running a 2400 stall 3:42 rear diff, 700r4. No gains in mpg haha!

post #48 of 73 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 17, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your settings! It is strange the timing can't go much higher than 42. I've noticed that with my setup too.

No AC for me.

How many miles have you out on your setup? What stall are you running? Any good mpg gains?

I'm running a 2400 stall 3:42 rear diff, 700r4. No gains in mpg haha!

I'm running a Hughes Performance 1800-2000 Stall Tow Master Lockup torque converter. With my old 750 cfm Edelbrock carburetor I was getting an average of 10 mpg city and 15 mpg all freeway (Big block 454). I set that 750 cfm carb using dual Wideband Oxygen sensors.

I have been running the EFI system for a few months now. I have not calculated the mpg for city yet but I did do an all freeway run. And it turned out to give me the same mpg as the carb..15 mpg (it was like .3 mpg better than the carb). Of course I cant say that is the final calculation. I want to recalculate it now that I have the new timing control ability. I doubt it will be any better because when I was running my old distributor, I was able to get near 50 degrees of timing. And with this new Edelbrock system, it seems to cap off at 42. But I'm hopeful.

I am constantly trying to get a hold of Edelbrock to fix my current problem with the idle control/AC kickup and I will try to get info on why there is a cap or why cant they make the timing go higher than 10 with vacuum. I would like it to be more like a 1:1 Vacuum Hg to Timing degrees of advance.

I did get better performance from the switch from carb to EFI. I was able to do 0-60 in 5.7 seconds. And I have been able to achieve that several times.

Last edited by Tarantula; Jun 12th, 17 at 3:14 PM.

post #49 of 73 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 17, 4:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
James

Quote:
I'm running a Hughes Performance 1800-2000 Stall Tow Master Lockup torque converter. With my old 750 cfm Edelbrock carburetor I was getting an average of 10 mpg city and 15 mpg all freeway (Big block 454). I set that 750 cfm carb using dual Wideband Oxygen sensors.

I have been running the EFI system for a few months now. I have not calculated the mpg for city yet but I did do an all freeway run. And it turned out to give me the same mpg as the carb..15 mpg (it was like .3 mpg better than the carb). Of course I cant say that is the final calculation. I want to recalculate it now that I have the new timing control ability. I doubt it will be any better because when I was running my old distributor, I was able to get near 50 degrees of timing. And with this new Edelbrock system, it seems to cap off at 42. But I'm hopeful.

I am constantly trying to get a hold of Edelbrock to fix my current problem with the idle control/AC kickup and I will try to get info on why there is a cap or why cant they make the timing go higher than 10 with vacuum. I would like it to be more like a 1:1 Vacuum Hg to Timing degrees of advance.

I did get better performance from the switch from carb to EFI. I was able to do 0-60 in 5.7 seconds. And I have been able to achieve that several times.

Performance increase is always better!

I had a Holly 650 DP on the 383 and tuned it nicely to give me an average of 14 MPG city and highway. I'm about the same now.

Let me know what you find out for Eddy regarding the timing. It would be awesome if we can get more vacuum. Good luck with the AC kick up, sorry I wasn't much help.

post #50 of 73 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 17, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Performance increase is always better!

I had a Holly 650 DP on the 383 and tuned it nicely to give me an average of 14 MPG city and highway. I'm about the same now.

Let me know what you find out for Eddy regarding the timing. It would be awesome if we can get more vacuum. Good luck with the AC kick up, sorry I wasn't much help.

They are looking into the timing issue. They told me that one way to obtain more timing at cruise with the system as it is now, is to set the initial at a higher number of degrees at the distributor. Basically even though you are supposed to set it to 12 degrees and the ignition control system assumes that its 12, it would actually be higher...like say 16 degrees (for example). With this tweak, you would always have to remember that whatever number of degrees you see on the tablet, you would really be getting an additional 4 degrees. And with this extra 4 degrees added to the 42 cap, you would really be getting 46 degrees. They told me that they have never taken any of their test vehicles up that high with timing and this is most likely the reason why the system was designed with the cap. Most people don't seek mileage and timing in the 45-50 degrees range is mostly for stock vehicles.

I told them that they should just raise the cap for the vacuum setting from 10 to maybe 20. That way the user can set it to their own custom desire. My stock distributor vacuum canister gave me 18 degrees max.

I do have a question for you. When starting the car, does it crank a bit before it fires or does it start up on the first crank?

With my old carb, it started on the very first crank every time. But with this system, it cranks over a lot more before firing up.

With the AC kickup issue I received a new updated app version that is not even out in the playstore yet. I guess I'm the test subject for this new update. It does outline the AC kickup update in the What's new section.
post #51 of 73 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 17, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
James

Quote:
They are looking into the timing issue. They told me that one way to obtain more timing at cruise with the system as it is now, is to set the initial at a higher number of degrees at the distributor. Basically even though you are supposed to set it to 12 degrees and the ignition control system assumes that its 12, it would actually be higher...like say 16 degrees (for example). With this tweak, you would always have to remember that whatever number of degrees you see on the tablet, you would really be getting an additional 4 degrees. And with this extra 4 degrees added to the 42 cap, you would really be getting 46 degrees. They told me that they have never taken any of their test vehicles up that high with timing and this is most likely the reason why the system was designed with the cap. Most people don't seek mileage and timing in the 45-50 degrees range is mostly for stock vehicles.

I told them that they should just raise the cap for the vacuum setting from 10 to maybe 20. That way the user can set it to their own custom desire. My stock distributor vacuum canister gave me 18 degrees max.

I do have a question for you. When starting the car, does it crank a bit before it fires or does it start up on the first crank?

With my old carb, it started on the very first crank every time. But with this system, it cranks over a lot more before firing up.

With the AC kickup issue I received a new updated app version that is not even out in the playstore yet. I guess I'm the test subject for this new update. It does outline the AC kickup update in the What's new section.

Good to know! Let's hope they allow us to take the vacuum up to 20!

The car starts right up usually within the first crank. Depends on if it's been a day since I've started it. Also, you can turn the key, but not crank the motor if you want to prime the TB. You can hear it priming...

post #52 of 73 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 17, 11:55 AM

Quote:
The car starts right up usually within the first crank. Depends on if it's been a day since I've started it. Also, you can turn the key, but not crank the motor if you want to prime the TB. You can hear it priming...

Mine only starts right up if I cycle the key 3-4 times.

With regards to hearing it prime...Actually, what you are actually are hearing is the fuel pump pressurizing the fuel rails. The actual Pump shot is when you first turn the key. I have actually filmed the fuel injectors to see what happens when you turn the key. It just squirts a little fuel but as soon as the key is in the on position. On my car, the pump shot prime is not enough to start the car instantly. Probably because of my manifold and the fact that I have a big block. But if I cycle the key 3-4 times I will get a pump shot each time I cycle the key. Therefore giving me more fuel in the manifold. And I can cycle it fast or slow. It makes no difference because it shoots a quick burst at the moment it receives power from turning the key. I verified this by filming it.
post #53 of 73 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 17, 12:00 PM

Another question. What is the fuel map that you are using? I want to test the pump shot on my car. I'm using map 36020. Since I currently have 2 ECU's I can run a test without changing my main ECU settings.
post #54 of 73 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 17, 9:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
James

Update: took the car to the track, ran .2 second better than my best with the holly 650 DP @ 13.8 96 MPH

post #55 of 73 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 18, 7:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
James

E-Street 2 Write-up

UPDATE: The car has been running better than ever. My IAC was off at idle. I had to open up the throttle screw. Changed out my plug wires and plugs which really woke the motor back up.

Initial 20.5 @300 0 33.25
Vac advance 10

AFR
idle 13.8 and 900 RPM
Cruise 14.8
WOT 12.5

Running 87 octane

Pulls nicely up to 6k RPM, shifting into 2nd gear chirps the tires! I adjusted the valuable lash last night. Iím also going to see if my misfire in 2nd gear @5.5k RPM goes away. Canít wait to see what it runs at the track now. Head swap coming soon.

Last edited by 69Chvll; Jan 6th, 18 at 8:49 PM.
post #56 of 73 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 18, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
James

E-Street 2 Write-up

Took the Chevelle on a 225 miles work trip today. Ran great! I think Iím around 14 MPG Highway right now with 7k miles on the new EFI setup.

post #57 of 73 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 18, 6:42 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Quote:
Took the Chevelle on a 225 miles work trip today. Ran great! I think Iím around 14 MPG Highway right now with 7k miles on the new EFI setup.

Interestingly, I didn't gain any mpg either when I replaced my 850DP that was running 12.5:1 at cruise with a multi-port EFI system at ~15:1 at cruise. These 25-30% claims are just flat-out BS.

OD transmissions/rear gears are where its at for mpg increases.

*69 SS 502 EFI /224-228* HR/9.8:1/T56/3.90/ 4000lbs RW 11.5/124mph
*96 Stang 6.0 turbo 10.5/135mph (9.13 ET w/E85 and 16psi) **SOLD**
*2011 Mustang GT premium
*61" Scag Kohler 22hp 7mph
post #58 of 73 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 18, 8:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-CHVL View Post
Interestingly, I didn't gain any mpg either when I replaced my 850DP that was running 12.5:1 at cruise with a multi-port EFI system at ~15:1 at cruise. These 25-30% claims are just flat-out BS.

OD transmissions/rear gears are where its at for mpg increases.

Agreed! The motor must have been poorly tuned before to see those types of MPG increases.

post #59 of 73 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 18, 11:36 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Update: took the car to the track, ran .2 second better than my best with the holly 650 DP @ 13.8 96 MPH

Did your MPH change much? I am hopping my system runs about the same as I ran previously with my victor jr/demon. I am running the proflo3 set up, which uses the same software as the TBI system. I haven't driven mine in a while due to setting up a hydroboost system. Hope to get it out this weekend. I was having a misfire due to a burnt sparkplug wire so I reset the computer and will need to have a complete relearn.
post #60 of 73 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 18, 1:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomatrd View Post
Did your MPH change much? I am hopping my system runs about the same as I ran previously with my victor jr/demon. I am running the proflo3 set up, which uses the same software as the TBI system. I haven't driven mine in a while due to setting up a hydroboost system. Hope to get it out this weekend. I was having a misfire due to a burnt sparkplug wire so I reset the computer and will need to have a complete relearn.

My MPG didnít change, because later I found out I was having spark issues from my plug wires and plugs. I canít wait to take it out again. I think I can hit 100mph and a 13.6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in