Team Chevelle banner

MSD or Holley or FiTech?

20K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  toofastforyou 
#1 · (Edited)
I want to get rid of the carburetor and convert my '71 big-block Chevelle to EFI using the MSD "Atomic" carb-replacement throttle body.
I'm leaning towards this setup because I already have a complete MSD ignition system (MSD 6AL box, MSD distributor, coil and plug wires) which apparently can be tied-in to the EFI system allowing to control timing. There's just one detail though… MSD claims that their "Atomic" system is good for up to 625 hp...but I guess it would still be fine for my engine setup (496 cu.in. 698 hp on the dyno) as I rarely use 100% of it's power on the street and have no plans to race it either… but maybe I should give them a call to find out what they're going to say about this.
I'm also looking at the new Holley "Sniper" which will be available in a 1,200 hp version.
I was interested in the FiTech system but after I read all the problems that some members had with their "FCC" (fuel command center) which I wouldn't need since I'll be going with a return line and an in-tank pump, but what bugs me is the (apparently) poor customer service which leaves me undecided about them… too bad because logically, they have the perfect system for my engine (the 800 hp. "Meanstreet"). :yes:
Here is a link to the MSD unit: https://www.msdperformance.com/produ...tbi/parts/2910 and the one for the Holley Sniper: https://www.holley.com/products/fue...sniper_efi/sniper_4bbl_tbi_kits/parts/550-511

Let me know what you guys think,
Thanks,

Claude.

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: It's going to be either MSD or Holley but no FiTech for me.

MSD claims that their "Atomic" system is good for up to 625 hp...but I guess it would still be fine for my engine setup (496 cu.in. 698 hp on the dyno) as I rarely use 100% of it's power on the street and have no plans to race it either…
Not a good idea. The power rating is because of injector flow. First time you go WOT you'll go way lean as the injectors can't flow enough fuel.

There are a few TBI style systems that are good for more. One of them I think even claims to be good for over 1000 hp.

But what you really need on an engine like you have is port injection.

There's also no need to stay with MSD for the EFI just because you have an MSD ignition system. Any EFI system worthy of the name can control timing. MSD ignition or not.

#5 · (Edited)
Re: It's going to be either MSD or Holley but no FiTech for me.

Not a good idea. The power rating is because of injector flow. First time you go WOT you'll go way lean as the injectors can't flow enough fuel.

There are a few TBI style systems that are good for more. One of them I think even claims to be good for over 1000 hp.

But what you really need on an engine like you have is port injection.

There's also no need to stay with MSD for the EFI just because you have an MSD ignition system. Any EFI system worthy of the name can control timing. MSD ignition or not.
Thanks everyone for your replies. ;) I know that MSD's "Atomic" system might not be enough for my engine setup… :rolleyes: which brings me back to "square one" and choosing between the FAST EZ-EFI 2.0 (1,200 hp) which might work great but looks ugly, the soon-to be released Holley "Sniper" (available in a 1,200 hp version) and looks real nice or the FiTech "Meanstreet" (800 hp) and last, the FiTech GO EFI 8 (1,200 hp.). Logically the FiTech Meanstreet should be just right for me, no need to pay more for one of the 1,200 hp systems… and this along with a return line and in-tank pump should be the ideal EFI setup for my engine.
I agree with what "HandOverFist" said about the FiTech being fine… I guess I should change my opinion on them. :yes:

Claude. :)

#8 ·
You're right…I just noticed that. :rolleyes: That leaves me with TWO choices: either the Fitech Go EFI 8 or the new Holley Sniper (both are good for up to 1,200 h.p. and can control timing).:thumbsup:
One thing I'd like to see is a comparison between these two's hand-held controllers… :yes:

Claude.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.