EFI Caution: Beyond here be monsters...

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old May 30th, 20, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Daryl

Garage
505 with ProFlo4 real (to me) world test

Took the Chevelle for a good long drive today to sort out a few more fuel/timing parameters.

A quick run down on my combo:
1970 Chevelle with power steering, power brakes, A/C, cruise control
10.5 to 1 505 Promaxx heads, Straub Tech hydraulic roller 250/260 @ .050 .640 lift LS 108
Edelbrock ProFlo 4 fuel injection
2" Dougs headers, full 3" exhaust with Dynomax mufflers
700R4 trans, FTI 3600 rpm converter, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt

72 degrees and sunny, perfect day for a cruise and a quick bite to eat. Had to go to an adjoining state to find a place to sit down and eat but it made for a good 150 mile round trip test drive.

Highways varied from 75 mph interstate to 50 mph back roads along a river. A lot of stop and go through small towns.

Cooling system worked great. 180 coolant temp on a 180 t-stat. Fans didn't run most of the time.
Oil temp ran from 185 to 215. Keeping an eye on that as the block is partially filled.
A/F ratios held very well with short term and long term trim rates in the mid to low single digits. Still working on a slight stumble/surge on initial throttle opening from a stop. Manageable but not right yet.
Trans working well, I want to get my 3-4 shift a bit crisper, gonna look into the accumulator settings.

Overall quite pleased. Still have a cold start issue that I am working with Edelbrock on. Can't seem to get enough crank fuel for a quick start. Could have something to do with a lot of overlap

Runs smooth and quiet on the highway. Filled before leaving town and refilled when I got back. 110 miles/8.11 gallons of 93 octane = 13.56 MPG

Seems to be a keeper. Now to see if I can get it down the quarter mile without breaking anymore parts!

1970 Chevelle
505 Promaxx 317 Heads
Straub Custom HR
Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 Fuel Injection
670hp/610tq
700R4 2.84 Gearset FTI Converter
Moser 12 bolt 33 Spline Axles 3.73 Gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old May 31st, 20, 5:17 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Re: 505 with ProFlo4 real (to me) world test

Sounds like you got it going good! Have you increased the cold initial prime shot or tried to just key on twice maybe to see if that helps?
I guess what I'm suggesting it's like giving it 2 pumps of the pedal with a carb to light it off?
This may help with seeing what to change "IF" it helps.

73 nova,3515#(all steel)Pump gas!(91octane)406ci N/A, best 1/4,1.45 '60,[email protected],10.6 @ 122.38, short shifting,NO tuning!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old May 31st, 20, 6:10 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

185-215 oil temps seem pretty good to me. How many quarts is your pan?

I love the real word experiences on the efi's

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram:

Twitter:

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old May 31st, 20, 8:22 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Daryl

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHT/73 View Post
Sounds like you got it going good! Have you increased the cold initial prime shot or tried to just key on twice maybe to see if that helps?
I guess what I'm suggesting it's like giving it 2 pumps of the pedal with a carb to light it off?
This may help with seeing what to change "IF" it helps.
This Pro Flo setup does not have an initial "key on" prime shot like my Fitech did. Seems to completely depend on crank fuel which I have maxed in the cold start settings. If I put a small amount of fuel down the throttle body before starting it pops right off.

1970 Chevelle
505 Promaxx 317 Heads
Straub Custom HR
670hp/610tq
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old May 31st, 20, 8:23 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Daryl

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SS454- View Post
185-215 oil temps seem pretty good to me. How many quarts is your pan?

I love the real word experiences on the efi's
6 quarts total in the engine. Running standard long filter.

1970 Chevelle
505 Promaxx 317 Heads
Straub Custom HR
670hp/610tq
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old May 31st, 20, 11:32 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77sonic View Post
Took the Chevelle for a good long drive today to sort out a few more fuel/timing parameters.

A quick run down on my combo:
1970 Chevelle with power steering, power brakes, A/C, cruise control
10.5 to 1 505 Promaxx heads, Straub Tech hydraulic roller 250/260 @ .050 .640 lift LS 108
Edelbrock ProFlo 4 fuel injection
2" Dougs headers, full 3" exhaust with Dynomax mufflers
700R4 trans, FTI 3600 rpm converter, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt

72 degrees and sunny, perfect day for a cruise and a quick bite to eat. Had to go to an adjoining state to find a place to sit down and eat but it made for a good 150 mile round trip test drive.

Highways varied from 75 mph interstate to 50 mph back roads along a river. A lot of stop and go through small towns.

Cooling system worked great. 180 coolant temp on a 180 t-stat. Fans didn't run most of the time.
Oil temp ran from 185 to 215. Keeping an eye on that as the block is partially filled.
A/F ratios held very well with short term and long term trim rates in the mid to low single digits. Still working on a slight stumble/surge on initial throttle opening from a stop. Manageable but not right yet.
Trans working well, I want to get my 3-4 shift a bit crisper, gonna look into the accumulator settings.

Overall quite pleased. Still have a cold start issue that I am working with Edelbrock on. Can't seem to get enough crank fuel for a quick start. Could have something to do with a lot of overlap

Runs smooth and quiet on the highway. Filled before leaving town and refilled when I got back. 110 miles/8.11 gallons of 93 octane = 13.56 MPG

Seems to be a keeper. Now to see if I can get it down the quarter mile without breaking anymore parts!
I have a proflo 3 and when I made my maiden voyage, I was a little worried it might act up and it was flawless. It helped MPG quite a bit too-- from 7 to 11mpg and hoping 16 on the next one with the new overdrive!
I have a slightly bigger cam on a slightly smaller engine and haven't had any hesitation on take off. Mine runs a tad rich on start up, but when I leaned it out it make it act weird so I just left it and haven't had any issues since. I do want to redo some of my wiring. That is my only issue with EFI, lots of wiring.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 20, 6:12 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
This Pro Flo setup does not have an initial "key on" prime shot like my Fitech did. Seems to completely depend on crank fuel which I have maxed in the cold start settings. If I put a small amount of fuel down the throttle body before starting it pops right off.
Wow, I would have thought it would do that or at least have that feature.

This was what you adjusted?

Cold sart vs water temp
This advanced function adjusts the additional fuel contribution required at various water
temperatures during warm up for overall performance. A larger value increases cold start fuel,
a smaller value will decrease the cold start fuel. An indicator light will illuminate during warm
up indicating the Coolant Temperature range currently active. For adjustment of Cold Start Fuel
above 165 degrees Coolant Temperature use standard Cold start page.
Edelbrock recommends not adjusting the Cold Start vs Water temperature values until the ECU
has had sufficient time to Learn and the standard Cold start Fuel values have been adjusted
sufficiently

73 nova,3515#(all steel)Pump gas!(91octane)406ci N/A, best 1/4,1.45 '60,[email protected],10.6 @ 122.38, short shifting,NO tuning!

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 20, 7:25 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jarad

That sure looks like a well thought out combo! Very nice.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 20, 7:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

Quote:
What is your IAC reading warm? Is your TP sensor at zero at idle? I had the same issue cold start. I set the idle as high as I could and got the IAC down to 1 warm. Now fires right up. Good way to check this is to just crack the throttle and see if it fires up. Also you you could save all your settings and change the map to the next higher and that will richen it up.You should not have to max out the crank fuel.

64 Chevelle 496
64 F100 Street Rod with BBC /Chevy trapped in a ford body
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 7:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Daryl

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHT/73 View Post
Wow, I would have thought it would do that or at least have that feature.

This was what you adjusted?
Yup.

1970 Chevelle
505 Promaxx 317 Heads
Straub Custom HR
670hp/610tq
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 7:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Daryl

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenS View Post
What is your IAC reading warm?.
0-2

TPS is zero at idle/closed throttle.

If I crack the throttle it will fire but go extremely lean and die, even lean backfire at times. To get it started cold I need to just barely crack the throttle. let it fire, close throttle and open a tad a few times to let it get running on cold enrichment fuel. Then it will find the proper fast idle and stay running fine. Or put about 10 drops of fuel down it's throat first

1970 Chevelle
505 Promaxx 317 Heads
Straub Custom HR
670hp/610tq
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 9:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

Quote:
0-2

TPS is zero at idle/closed throttle.

If I crack the throttle it will fire but go extremely lean and die, even lean backfire at times. To get it started cold I need to just barely crack the throttle. let it fire, close throttle and open a tad a few times to let it get running on cold enrichment fuel. Then it will find the proper fast idle and stay running fine. Or put about 10 drops of fuel down it's throat first
Takes about 30 seconds for the 02 sensor to heat up and control afr. Did you try cold enrichment too. You running 5038 map? 2 things helped me. Wait for the fuel pump to cycle off before starting to purge air. Also I removed the vaccum line to the regulator if you have one. Another trick is to up the fuel pressure then back off the fuel modifiers if need be.

IMO your car should run the 5039 map. Good system I like mine.

64 Chevelle 496
64 F100 Street Rod with BBC /Chevy trapped in a ford body
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Daryl

Garage

Thanks Steve. Food for thought. Running the 5038 map. Will give the 5039 a shot.

1970 Chevelle
505 Promaxx 317 Heads
Straub Custom HR
670hp/610tq
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 20, 10:06 AM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Quote:
It primes the fuel system and injectors. The PF4 software doesn't let users change the prime shot time though. Let it run the full 7 seconds in the key On position, then turn the key to Start. Chances of getting the motor to start immediately when cold are slim to zero. Mine has never lit off turning the key straight to Start immediately using Fitech or Edelbrock when the motor was stone cold.

I can't remember if you put the 60lb Siemens Deka injectors in it, but if you did, they are finicky off idle. Not the best injector for low duty cycle light pedal. They respond well to more pedal than is safe with cars in front leaving lights though. Maybe try richening up the Idle AFR and Acceleration fuel, which I'm sure you are in the process of playing with. Timing might still need some tweaks as well.

You'll get there. I haven't driven my PF4 fueled gas hog in a month. I can hardly remember how it runs on the road. I have started it a couple of times though. Lights right up cold as long as I go the full 7 seconds before turning the key all the way to Start.

Your motor might like the IAC closer to 5 fully warmed up. Close the throttle an 1/8th of a turn and see if IAC goes up. If it doesn't, something is holding either the front or rear throttle pairs open a little.

'65 Chev El Camino
SBC350/Maybe 400HP @ crank, 700R4
Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 4150 MPFI
Global West, QA1, Viking, Wilwood, UMI, ProForged
'67 P-11 Norton
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 20, 11:09 AM
Tech Team

just to add my account on it
I just did an 87 mile drive and managed to use 6 gallons(and a cruise around main street) which works out to 87/6=14.6mpg!
I can't complain about that out of a 489 with a big cam!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in