• 1 Post By GoFast Beaumont
  • 1 Post By Jebchevelle
  • 1 Post By travisch

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 20, 5:13 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Ignition set up for Holley Terminator Stealth

Ok, what set ups are you using with your Holley EFI?
I知 building a 427 BBC and wanted to have a stock look so I purchased the Holley Terminator Stealth EFI. I知 shooting for around 550 hp. I plan to cruise with this car and occasionally take her to the track.
I have the in tank fuel pump and am plumbing the supply and fuel lines. That痴 the easy part. I ordered my Lemons headers with the O2 bung in the collector. I知 confused as hell about what ignition system will work best with this.
Full disclosure, I知 not very tech savvy. Sure, my daily driver has fuel injection and a computer but I haven稚 a clue how it operates. I chose EFI for my Chevelle because I felt it would be the the best choice for reliability and consistency. The last muscle car I built was 30 years ago and had 3 two barrel carburetors and dual point ignition!
I know the EFI Computer can adjust my timing. Should I go this route? I plan to let the computer turn on my cooling fans so why not let it adjust my timing too, right?
Ok, so........
Distributor- dual sync or hyper spark?
Ignition boxes- what and why?
Coils-which one?

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate the help.

Joe

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
Soon to be a 427 equipped Tahoe Turquoise head turner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 20, 3:10 PM
Tech Team
Chris

Re: Ignition set up for Holley Terminator Stealth

running a super sniper but the ignition system is still the same principle between the two as far as I know.

Running a MSD distributor, mostly because that's what I hade as well parts are readily available anywhere if you run into road problems.

Running a holley coil driver, this takes the place of a MSD box. it was a plug and play piece and does not transmit near the noise a MSD box does. handy if you have a radio.

Coil I am Running a blue MSD HVC 6 series. ultimately you could run a 7 series coil if you wanted to. The coil driver provides enough juice to supply 5 amps of current to a coil. Most street series coils draw less than 1 amp.

Why no box, I have had bad luck with any ignition box and decided to keep things simple. so far it has worked out great for my boosted big block. all ignition is controlled by the computer.
Kopfjaeger likes this.

1968 Beaumont
540 BBC + 15psi Boost via Single Garrett GTX
Stock looking, and fairly stock sounding
HP and ET not determined yet!

Boosted Beaumont Build:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 20, 9:56 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Chris,
Thank you so much for your reply. So I guess you are not having the EFI computer set and adjust your timing? I have not looked up your dizzy but is it vacuum advance or just mechanical?

Like I said, I知 a low tech guy. I知 kinda out on a limb here. I figured it would be nice to take a more automated and modern approach with my build but in doing so, I致e really put myself into uncharted waters.

Joe

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 20, 11:50 AM
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopfjaeger View Post
Chris,
Thank you so much for your reply. So I guess you are not having the EFI computer set and adjust your timing? I have not looked up your dizzy but is it vacuum advance or just mechanical?

Like I said, I’m a low tech guy. I’m kinda out on a limb here. I figured it would be nice to take a more automated and modern approach with my build but in doing so, I’ve really put myself into uncharted waters.

Joe
My distributor is locked out and the EFI computer is controlling the timing. There is no vacuum or mechanical advance when you do this. Just very simple inputs on a computer that can be changed.

That said I have programmed my timing to simulate both advancing/retarded timing conditions. IE, low throttle cruise I have vacuum advance simulation hooked up.

Once you get closer to completion if you want I could send you my timing map, pretty standard setup to be honest. Just a quick ‘copy and paste’ into yours and done.
Kopfjaeger likes this.

1968 Beaumont
540 BBC + 15psi Boost via Single Garrett GTX
Stock looking, and fairly stock sounding
HP and ET not determined yet!

Boosted Beaumont Build:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 20, 4:38 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Thanks a Chris, that is very generous! I am truly behind the curve, pun intended, with this aspect. I知 going to need to do a ton of research to get myself up to speed. Perhaps I値l need to join the Holley forum to absorb a ton of knowledge.

Thanks again!

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 20, 1:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/89-...cost-dist.html

this is a write up on using a stock gm small cap TBI/TPI dist with some of the aftermarket efi systems. It does not work for them all but it can work with most, I do believe I read some where on the forums that it will work with the terminator check the holley forums to be sure. hope this helps.
Kopfjaeger likes this.

78 Malibu, 402, th350, holley sniper EFI, 9" 3:70, 27X10.5-15 hoosiers quick time Dot pro.
69 VW baja 1679cc. stick shift toy.
96 chevy 1500, tow vehicle.
03 yz85 fun bike.
04 scion XB daily driver.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 20, 6:33 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Jeff,
Thanks for your post. I知 going to need to join the Holley EFI forum since 的知 lost in the sauce, with this tech.

Joe

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 8:06 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Well, I joined the Holley EFI forum and it was less than I had hoped for. There seems to be only one guy who really posts and fields all the tech questions. It痴 not nearly the co-operative as this site is. That痴 a bummer.

Joe

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 9:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopfjaeger View Post
Well, I joined the Holley EFI forum and it was less than I had hoped for. There seems to be only one guy who really posts and fields all the tech questions. It痴 not nearly the co-operative as this site is. That痴 a bummer.

Joe
Give Chris at EFIsystem pros a call and he will get you sorted out. I'm running a Holly Sniper and using the hyper spark and CDI box. All plug and play - works great.
Kopfjaeger likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 5:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisch View Post
Give Chris at EFIsystem pros a call and he will get you sorted out. I'm running a Holly Sniper and using the hyper spark and CDI box. All plug and play - works great.
Thanks, I値l call him.

Joe

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in