Team Chevelle banner

Sniper: Anyone using the standard "kit?"

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  eightballworld 
#1 ·
'68 SS El Camino:

I'm growing a bit weary of my warm-up procedure with my Holley 770SA atop my MJ 467 and keep toying with the idea of going with a Sniper system. When I first priced everything out my plan was to go with a new Tanks Inc. tank with the internal pump. But I only recently replaced my fuel tank and really don't feel like scrapping it since it's almost brand new.

I keep looking at the Sniper "kit" that includes the inline pump and filters. Certainly the in-tank Walbro pump is the best choice, but if their external pump is seriously good enough and not loud, it seems like a good idea to save some serious $$$ and just run that. I guess if I'm unhappy with it I could always upgrade later. But I'd rather only do this once. I see an advantage, in that if the pump ever does go south it's a whole lot easier to replace if it's just mounted under the car instead of having to pull the tank to access it.

So anyone here running that system with their pump? My main concern is regarding how loud it is. I've run their other blue & red electric pumps before and really had to get creative with the rubber mounts to make them acceptably quiet (barely). Is this feed-through pump better than their other pumps?

Thanks for any input,
Tom.

See less See more
#2 ·
I’m running that Tanks Inc setup with pump. It’s loud. In fact, it’s loud to the point I’m convinced I need to pull the tank and see if the pump is somehow vibrating against the baffle or the wall of the tank. Since you already have a new tank, I’d just run an external like you suggested.

#3 ·
I dunno, I had my share of issues with external pumps and would never recommend them. The problem is they don't pull/suck very well, and having an external means you gotta pull fuel all the way up to top of tank through the sending unit.

Then there's the lack of baffling in a stock tank, meaning when fuel gets low, it can slosh away from the pickup, and these kind of pumps do not like sucking air. Holley Hydramat could help that, but by the time you buy that and do all the work, you probably could've just gotten a Tanks Inc unit for similar money, less work, and a better end result.

I bought a Tanks Inc tank back in 2013 when they first came out for A-bodies and I have zero regrets and would do it again in a minute.

I get that you have a new-ish tank, (i have a brand new one in my basement too) but if you really want to do it properly, get an in-tank pump setup.

-Dave

Reactions: carpoor
#17 ·
I went the stock tank route with external pump, as I had replaced the tank with a stainless unit the year before. Tons of starvation/slosh issues that had me stumped for a while. Ended up putting the Hydramat in which helped, but I still am planning on going to a Tanks Inc EFI tank soon. So yeah, just get the thing right off the hop and save yourself the headache.

#4 ·
Yeah... my inclination is to suck it up and go with the internal pump. It’s not like tossing a new gas tank is the most painful thing I’ve done. Honestly, I just wish I could make my mind up about whether I even want to go with EFI. I’d be pretty upset though if I went through all of that only to have the internal pump making noise.

#6 ·
I bought the Tanks Inc tank in my 64 Tempest about 4-5 years ago (don't think it had the internal baffles back then but not sure) It came with an in tank pump that is loud (can hear easily when priming it/prior to starting motor) and at idle can hear a small whine from the pump in the tank as well. There are upgraded pumps that are quieter and I have toyed with replacing the pump someday with a quieter pump.

The newer tanks do have baffles which you may appreciate if you autocross the car I guess but mine is street driven.

I too have a Mark Jones 468 in my 1966 Chevelle and dislike the cold startups with the Holley 850 DP with divorced choke. I recently acquired a Sniper kit....

#9 ·
I used the in tank "muscle car EFI module" fuel pump assy. from Holley in my 69 Camaro with a Sniper Stealth. It's a pump and regulator and sender all in one. Fits in a stock tank, regulated to 58 PSI. No need for a return line. Pump is not too loud, sometimes makes a chirp noise after priming and before starting engine. Not really sold on the Sniper yet. Just installed it recently, car starts instantly hot or cold. But I had an issue with the fuel pressure going to 70 PSI at times, Holley sent me a new regulator. Also any time the car was running the AFR was reading 15-16 to 1. So fuel was dumping in. After installing another sensor, moving the sensor in the pipe, connecting another wide band sensor to compare, Holley sent me another complete Sniper. Still haven't had time to play with it to sort it out as I'm doing full body work on my Chevelle now. The Camaro is for my daughter and I thought it would be easier to drive with the Sniper but it seems like there's more to go wrong than the old carb. Oh yeah and the throttle body has 1 to 1 linkage which makes it very snappy when trying to pull away from a stop. You can put a progressive linkage on it but have to change the tune, and also will need to by a cable to hook up to your laptop. I think the kit is good for someone that has a lot of time to tinker with all the settings. I just don't have the time now. Maybe next year when she goes to college.

#14 ·
as my Z28 went past 150,000 miles the acceleration and lowend peformance suffered and the warm up time to drive away time was unacceptable in cold weather, I was pretty sure an MSD would help in the cold weather because I had used them in the past on chokeless carb more radical street engines, sure enough the warm up was improved by maybe two thirds, this was my daily driver and I just didn't have time to replace the cam and timing set

#16 ·
I have installed both kits on mine.
At first,on my 454 72 camaro,I went with the master kit.
Its great if youre not sure what to buy,and you save about 200.00 if you were to buy the same things outright.
The inline pump is extremely loud.
And you have to run a return line.
Your rubber should be upgraded to FI line regardless of which way you go.
On my 468 chevelle,I just bought the regular kit.
I bought holleys intank retro pump.(also bought their fuel tank,which was awesome for the money(108?)
The pump is extremely QUIET and I will be buying another one for my camaro.
You dont need a return line with the intank pump.
Both setups require tank venting,either aftermarket or gascap.
I use the stock setup in my 67.
I also went with a welded flange bung for my O2(vibrant)
Filter numbers are available for what you need.
Also,with the inline pump you need a pre filter,intank pump you dont(sock)
Both need a post filter.Wix ones are whats used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.