EFI Caution: Beyond here be monsters...

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 20, 2:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Sniper: Anyone using the standard "kit?"

'68 SS El Camino:

I'm growing a bit weary of my warm-up procedure with my Holley 770SA atop my MJ 467 and keep toying with the idea of going with a Sniper system. When I first priced everything out my plan was to go with a new Tanks Inc. tank with the internal pump. But I only recently replaced my fuel tank and really don't feel like scrapping it since it's almost brand new.

I keep looking at the Sniper "kit" that includes the inline pump and filters. Certainly the in-tank Walbro pump is the best choice, but if their external pump is seriously good enough and not loud, it seems like a good idea to save some serious $$$ and just run that. I guess if I'm unhappy with it I could always upgrade later. But I'd rather only do this once. I see an advantage, in that if the pump ever does go south it's a whole lot easier to replace if it's just mounted under the car instead of having to pull the tank to access it.

So anyone here running that system with their pump? My main concern is regarding how loud it is. I've run their other blue & red electric pumps before and really had to get creative with the rubber mounts to make them acceptably quiet (barely). Is this feed-through pump better than their other pumps?

Thanks for any input,
Tom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 20, 2:41 PM
Tech Team
John

Re: Sniper: Anyone using the standard "kit?"

Im running that Tanks Inc setup with pump. Its loud. In fact, its loud to the point Im convinced I need to pull the tank and see if the pump is somehow vibrating against the baffle or the wall of the tank. Since you already have a new tank, Id just run an external like you suggested.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 9:20 AM
Tech Team
Dave

I dunno, I had my share of issues with external pumps and would never recommend them. The problem is they don't pull/suck very well, and having an external means you gotta pull fuel all the way up to top of tank through the sending unit.

Then there's the lack of baffling in a stock tank, meaning when fuel gets low, it can slosh away from the pickup, and these kind of pumps do not like sucking air. Holley Hydramat could help that, but by the time you buy that and do all the work, you probably could've just gotten a Tanks Inc unit for similar money, less work, and a better end result.

I bought a Tanks Inc tank back in 2013 when they first came out for A-bodies and I have zero regrets and would do it again in a minute.

I get that you have a new-ish tank, (i have a brand new one in my basement too) but if you really want to do it properly, get an in-tank pump setup.

-Dave
carpoor likes this.

'70 Chevelle ZZ383/700r4/3.73, [email protected] -- MS3X efi / Hotchkis A-arms & Springs / B-body 12" brakes / 1.25" F-body swaybar / UMI rears & swaybar / JGC PwrStrUpg

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Yeah... my inclination is to suck it up and go with the internal pump. Its not like tossing a new gas tank is the most painful thing Ive done. Honestly, I just wish I could make my mind up about whether I even want to go with EFI. Id be pretty upset though if I went through all of that only to have the internal pump making noise.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 11:00 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

I have a Rick's stainless tank and internal 340 lph pump and can't hear it aside from when I prime it.

Make sure you put a rubber barrier between the tank and your trunk floor. It acts as an insulator and reduces vibrations and noises.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter:
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 11:56 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
steve

I bought the Tanks Inc tank in my 64 Tempest about 4-5 years ago (don't think it had the internal baffles back then but not sure) It came with an in tank pump that is loud (can hear easily when priming it/prior to starting motor) and at idle can hear a small whine from the pump in the tank as well. There are upgraded pumps that are quieter and I have toyed with replacing the pump someday with a quieter pump.

The newer tanks do have baffles which you may appreciate if you autocross the car I guess but mine is street driven.

I too have a Mark Jones 468 in my 1966 Chevelle and dislike the cold startups with the Holley 850 DP with divorced choke. I recently acquired a Sniper kit....
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 5:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

I read somewhere that the Hydramat put a strain on fuel pumps. Something about increased resistance. Is there any substance to that?

Joe

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
Soon to be a 427 equipped Tahoe Turquoise head turner!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 5:25 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64tempestwagon View Post
I bought the Tanks Inc tank in my 64 Tempest about 4-5 years ago (don't think it had the internal baffles back then but not sure) It came with an in tank pump that is loud (can hear easily when priming it/prior to starting motor) and at idle can hear a small whine from the pump in the tank as well. There are upgraded pumps that are quieter and I have toyed with replacing the pump someday with a quieter pump.

The newer tanks do have baffles which you may appreciate if you autocross the car I guess but mine is street driven.

I too have a Mark Jones 468 in my 1966 Chevelle and dislike the cold startups with the Holley 850 DP with divorced choke. I recently acquired a Sniper kit....
When I bought my engine from Mark he recommended the 770 for my street-duty. Was the 850 DP something you already had or did he recommend that to you? Mine is his mild build which only put out 553 HP on his dyno.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 10:48 PM
Tech Team
Don

Garage

I used the in tank "muscle car EFI module" fuel pump assy. from Holley in my 69 Camaro with a Sniper Stealth. It's a pump and regulator and sender all in one. Fits in a stock tank, regulated to 58 PSI. No need for a return line. Pump is not too loud, sometimes makes a chirp noise after priming and before starting engine. Not really sold on the Sniper yet. Just installed it recently, car starts instantly hot or cold. But I had an issue with the fuel pressure going to 70 PSI at times, Holley sent me a new regulator. Also any time the car was running the AFR was reading 15-16 to 1. So fuel was dumping in. After installing another sensor, moving the sensor in the pipe, connecting another wide band sensor to compare, Holley sent me another complete Sniper. Still haven't had time to play with it to sort it out as I'm doing full body work on my Chevelle now. The Camaro is for my daughter and I thought it would be easier to drive with the Sniper but it seems like there's more to go wrong than the old carb. Oh yeah and the throttle body has 1 to 1 linkage which makes it very snappy when trying to pull away from a stop. You can put a progressive linkage on it but have to change the tune, and also will need to by a cable to hook up to your laptop. I think the kit is good for someone that has a lot of time to tinker with all the settings. I just don't have the time now. Maybe next year when she goes to college.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 20, 9:10 AM
Team Member
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopfjaeger View Post
I read somewhere that the Hydramat put a strain on fuel pumps. Something about increased resistance. Is there any substance to that?
I had Ricks Tanks tell me the same thing.
Kopfjaeger likes this.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 20, 9:11 AM
Team Member
Mark

Pretty sure you can get an in-tank module to put in your existing tank.

69 Chevelle Malibu
427 sbc, TH400, 3.55 12-bolt
n/a best: 11.24sec/118mph
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 20, 9:38 AM
Tech Team
Bob

are you using an MSD box with the poor carb warmup?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 20, 9:46 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbcbob View Post
are you using an MSD box with the poor carb warmup?
Regular HEI distributor. I spent several hours yesterday trying to get the carburetor tuned properly for a 65 day. Once I get motivated this morning Ill fire it up and see how it warms up.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 20, 3:12 PM
Tech Team
Bob

as my Z28 went past 150,000 miles the acceleration and lowend peformance suffered and the warm up time to drive away time was unacceptable in cold weather, I was pretty sure an MSD would help in the cold weather because I had used them in the past on chokeless carb more radical street engines, sure enough the warm up was improved by maybe two thirds, this was my daily driver and I just didn't have time to replace the cam and timing set
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 20, 9:18 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by any4xx View Post
When I bought my engine from Mark he recommended the 770 for my street-duty. Was the 850 DP something you already had or did he recommend that to you? Mine is his mild build which only put out 553 HP on his dyno.
I had a 625HP/625 TQ motor built. He sold it complete with the 850 DP Holley.
any4xx likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in