Holley Sniper issue - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
EFI Caution: Beyond here be monsters...

 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 19, 1:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northeast New Jersey
Posts: 8,396
Garage
Re: Holley Sniper issue

Have you considered switching to a cable operated gas pedal ?One of the reasons that GM switched to a cable to a cable operated carb linkage is it's much more comfortable on the foot and easier* to modulate.It would definitely take some fabricating but shouldn't be too hard to do.
*(for most people)

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
71350SS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 19, 5:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
sam
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: utica, ny
Posts: 521
Garage
Re: Holley Sniper issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71350SS View Post
Have you considered switching to a cable operated gas pedal ?One of the reasons that GM switched to a cable to a cable operated carb linkage is it's much more comfortable on the foot and easier* to modulate.It would definitely take some fabricating but shouldn't be too hard to do.
*(for most people)
No fabricating needed. On the 66/67, the lokar pedal bolts to the holes that the old lever linkage bolts to. Holley sells a bracket for the cables that bolt to the sniper. One hole in the firewall for the cable.

1967 Royal Plum, 434BB, AFR Heads, 3.90 gears, New Chris Straub Hyd Roller!, 200r4
scalise71 is offline  
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 19, 7:14 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Kurt
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Georgia
Posts: 518
Re: Holley Sniper issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalise71 View Post
No fabricating needed. On the 66/67, the lokar pedal bolts to the holes that the old lever linkage bolts to. Holley sells a bracket for the cables that bolt to the sniper. One hole in the firewall for the cable.
I have looked at a Lokar, and going to a cable .... What do you mean "one hole in the firewall for the cable" ??
Looks like a simple lever to lever hookup ....

1966 Black/Red SS coupe .....
402 BBC
Holley Sniper EFI
Long tube headers
Tremec TKO 600
13/12 4 wheel disc brakes
Truetrac 3:73 Posi
Classic a/c
Dakota VHX gages
thebeast is offline  
 
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 19, 10:49 PM
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Winston Salem
Posts: 335
Re: Holley Sniper issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisch View Post
This will do the trick. Make sure you follow the setup instructions. Easy to install but you need to use the handheld and set the throttle position telling the sniper exactly what throttle position the secondaries start to open with the link installed.
The part referenced is the throttle extension not the progressive linkage so no reprogramming is required. It still uses 1:1 for the secondaries but the extra length makes the pedal feel MUCH less stiff. This is what I used on my Camaro that still has a throttle rod. No cable conversion needed. No reprogramming needed. The big potential "gotcha" is air cleaner clearance. I am boosted with a carb hat so no clearance issue for me but sometimes they hit a standard air cleaner.

Holley actually recently released a new extension since I did mine. https://www.efisystempro.com/sniper/...on-lever-20-16

400 SBC, 9:1, AFR 195s, TH400, Coan converter, 3.50
ProCharger D1SC, Super Sniper EFI conversion 2019
1.30 60', [email protected] on pump gas
Greg Owens is offline  
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 19, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Kurt
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Georgia
Posts: 518
Re: Holley Sniper issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Owens View Post
The part referenced is the throttle extension not the progressive linkage so no reprogramming is required. It still uses 1:1 for the secondaries but the extra length makes the pedal feel MUCH less stiff. This is what I used on my Camaro that still has a throttle rod. No cable conversion needed. No reprogramming needed. The big potential "gotcha" is air cleaner clearance. I am boosted with a carb hat so no clearance issue for me but sometimes they hit a standard air cleaner.

Holley actually recently released a new extension since I did mine. https://www.efisystempro.com/sniper/...on-lever-20-16
Yes .... The new one is what I have ..... Hope to get on today ....

1966 Black/Red SS coupe .....
402 BBC
Holley Sniper EFI
Long tube headers
Tremec TKO 600
13/12 4 wheel disc brakes
Truetrac 3:73 Posi
Classic a/c
Dakota VHX gages
thebeast is offline  
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 19, 4:01 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Kurt
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Georgia
Posts: 518
Re: Holley Sniper issue

Got the extension on .... Works great .... All stiffness is gone ....

1966 Black/Red SS coupe .....
402 BBC
Holley Sniper EFI
Long tube headers
Tremec TKO 600
13/12 4 wheel disc brakes
Truetrac 3:73 Posi
Classic a/c
Dakota VHX gages
thebeast is offline  
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 19, 5:39 PM
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Winston Salem
Posts: 335
Re: Holley Sniper issue

What air cleaner are you running? Is it drop base? Just curious which ones will clear.

400 SBC, 9:1, AFR 195s, TH400, Coan converter, 3.50
ProCharger D1SC, Super Sniper EFI conversion 2019
1.30 60', [email protected] on pump gas
Greg Owens is offline  
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 19, 6:09 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Kurt
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Georgia
Posts: 518
Re: Holley Sniper issue

Iím using a Holley base (part#120-510) made for a Sniper..... Has a 1 Inch drop ....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8FE3693A-9CFD-4DBA-BCAD-44A04F78C3AE.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	608852   Click image for larger version

Name:	3A673C75-954B-43B9-84F2-F4977F7EE481.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	608854  

1966 Black/Red SS coupe .....
402 BBC
Holley Sniper EFI
Long tube headers
Tremec TKO 600
13/12 4 wheel disc brakes
Truetrac 3:73 Posi
Classic a/c
Dakota VHX gages
thebeast is offline  
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 19, 8:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
sam
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: utica, ny
Posts: 521
Garage
Re: Holley Sniper issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeast View Post
I have looked at a Lokar, and going to a cable .... What do you mean "one hole in the firewall for the cable" ??
Looks like a simple lever to lever hookup ....
Yes for the cable

1967 Royal Plum, 434BB, AFR Heads, 3.90 gears, New Chris Straub Hyd Roller!, 200r4
scalise71 is offline  
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 19, 8:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
sam
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: utica, ny
Posts: 521
Garage
Re: Holley Sniper issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Owens View Post
What air cleaner are you running? Is it drop base? Just curious which ones will clear.
Iím using a 2Ē drop due to the air gap intake, and stock 67 Malibu hood.
Kopfjaeger likes this.

1967 Royal Plum, 434BB, AFR Heads, 3.90 gears, New Chris Straub Hyd Roller!, 200r4
scalise71 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome