Second thoughts about adding a Sniper. - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
EFI Caution: Beyond here be monsters...

27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 19, 9:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
steve

Re: Second thoughts about adding a Sniper.

I decided to sell the parts. I went thru the pros and cons and there were more cons. The one that I really thought about was 5 years from now when it craps out and they don't repair it. I go for another $2000 for another complete system.
Schwany likes this.

67 GTO more Chevelle than Pontiac.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 19, 11:30 AM
Tech Team
Eddie

Garage

Since everybody is talking about their FI, just wanted to add my experience. All 3 of my classics are carbureted. Carbs are tuned, cars start as they are supposed to, idle and run without bogging, hiccups, stalling or any other issues. All 3 run a mechanical fuel pump too. They have never seen the top of the flat bed truck.....knock on wood.
mr 4 speed and 71350SS like this.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 19, 1:29 PM
Senior Tech Team

I'll stick with the Terminator system over the Sniper any day of the week, thanks.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 19, 5:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427stingray View Post
I decided to sell the parts. I went thru the pros and cons and there were more cons. The one that I really thought about was 5 years from now when it craps out and they don't repair it. I go for another $2000 for another complete system.
You kinda blew it there. I am in the business of installing the Sniper kits and make them right before I give them back to my customers. I've done 16 so far this year and have had one issue, caused by me. Three Fords, five GM products, 7 Mopars, and a lone AMC product. The only downer is leaded gas kills the O2 sensors, but they still run.

Bang for the buck and driveability they are hard to beat. Snipers are Basic Bitches of the EFI world. Even a cave man can do them.
71350SS, rel3rd and 1977chevyvan like this.

Couple of junkers and a few clunkers.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 19, 6:27 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy's Auto Repair View Post
You kinda blew it there. I am in the business of installing the Sniper kits and make them right before I give them back to my customers. I've done 16 so far this year and have had one issue, caused by me. Three Fords, five GM products, 7 Mopars, and a lone AMC product. The only downer is leaded gas kills the O2 sensors, but they still run.

Bang for the buck and driveability they are hard to beat. Snipers are Basic Bitches of the EFI world. Even a cave man can do them.
Well, you're reassuring me! I already bought a Sniper 8 injector system last March ('19) for my 496 cu. in. engine but it's not installed yet. I don't have the means, the required tools nor the place to do it myself even if I understand how it works… The guy who's supposed to install it for me is currently "too busy" to do it so since I don't know anyone else in my area to do it, I have no other choice but to wait 'till he finds the time to take care of me. Also, my car is a show car so I'm very picky about the appearance of the installation as much as it's performance. I'm still missing the fuel tank and return line but I'm unsure if I'm going to be able to keep my current (polished stainless steel) tank and have it modded for efi or sell that and buy another one. I suppose that it'll have to wait 'till next spring… Oh well…

Claude.
Andy's Auto Repair likes this.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 19, 6:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977chevyvan View Post
They will work on a dual plane sometimes a 1" spacer helps with the map sensor reading(so does using the correct gasket) **** the Holley sniper quadrajet is built to replace a stock carb on a stock intake. Speaking of which the sniper comes stock with a 1-1 ratio secondary rod. If you replace that for a progressive rod( same as a stock holley 4bbl secondary rod) and select that in the settings it will make it much easier to drive it wont be as touchy

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
^^^ Also to add to this. These Sniper and similar type EFI's that are designed to replace carburetors do basically the same thing as a stock TBI Chevy injection does and that was on a dual plane intake too.They sold literally millions of them and their driveability was fine,wasn't a rocket ship but it worked.
1977chevyvan likes this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 19, 7:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427stingray View Post
I have a Holley Sniper That I am getting ready to install. I have the tank with the pump, the whole ignition system and the Sniper injector. I am installing it in my 72 vette with a 502. I am having second thoughts on installing it. I have been doing some reading and don't know if it's worth the trouble. I know there are guys on here that have had no problems. But sometimes I think I would rather have a crab. Something I am familiar with. At this point I don't know what to do. If I install it and don't care for it and remove it then I have to sell it as used. But right now it is still new in the boxes if I decide to sell it.
I'd install a 800 cfm quadrajet and a cast iron intake. It should run great and I doubt you will lose any power once it's dialed in.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 19, 2:49 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
The sniper system looks great but seeing more and more guys complaining about hot restarts...is gas stored in the body like a carb?

Maybe theres a solution but if there isnt whats the point of EFI? I say get a modern DP and an electric choke.
Super easy to fix this issue. The base configurations from Holley have way too much cranking fuel when hot which makes them hard to start. A few quick keystrokes on the tune and you are good to go.

These systems are "self learning" but that is really just the base fuel map. You still have to tune them and doing so is 1,000 times easier than tuning and guessing with a carb. You have tons of actual data to be able to make informed and accurate adjustments. And they are all done on a keyboard.

People say all the time "my carb runs great". I am sure it cranks and goes, sure. But is it optimized? What is your AFR at idle? At cruise? At WOT? Do you have lean spots on tip in? With a carb you really have no idea unless you have added a stand alone wide band O2 sensor. With EFI you have the precise answers at your fingertips.

Most carb guys (myself included) can maybe do a jet change and an accelerator pump cam change but how many actually go through fine tuning and optimizing idle air bleeds, channel restrictors and high speed bleeds? Very few so you have a carb that is optimized for one task but typically not all. Get it optimized for WOT but then your cloths and garage reek of fuel whenever you crank it and idle it.

I am not knocking carbs, just highlighting the advantages of EFI I have experienced. Carbs for sure have their place but I have had more fun "tuning" my EFI to optimize all areas than I ever could have on my carb. Keep in mind you can precisely optimize timing with EFI very easily as well. No more springs and weights in the dizzy and try to find the sweet spot.

400 SBC, 9:1, AFR 195s, TH400, Coan converter, 3.50
ProCharger D1SC, Super Sniper EFI conversion 2019
1.30 60', [email protected] on pump gas
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 19, 7:52 PM
Tech Team

I'm a guy that took my Sniper off and went back to a carb. Just last week.
I had some initial problems at the very beginning of the install which Holley helped me with and then it was simply amazing to drive the car. smooth starts, great acceleration.
BUT, all of a sudden about a month and about 700 miles of trouble free driving an O2 sensor went bad, made it home and got another sensor from NAPA, that one lasted about a week. I called Holley tech. told him my problem and they sent me another O2 sensor, that one lasted about 20 min.! I reset the Wizard each time so that wasn't the issue.

Before you ask, I have a freshly rebuilt (less than 1000 miles) 454, mild cam, new Heddman headers, new Pypes X pipe exhaust, all new gaskets, and no exhaust leaks. HEI ignition, all new Taylor wires.
I think something happened internally to the Sniper. I'm going to send it back to Holley to diagnose it.

I'm not very computer literate so the idea of using the laptop to fine tune the unit didn't appeal to me. Some people really enjoy that, it's just not for me. They sell it as a "plug and play" I don't feel it's that simple.

I put a new 750 Edelbrock on it last week and had a great weekend enjoying my back to basics 69.

Just my humble opinion,
Shaun
jeff swisher and Schwany like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in