EFI Caution: Beyond here be monsters...

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 19, 1:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Garage
Replaced FiTech Go Port with a Pro-Flo 4

I put the FiTech Go Port back in its box and placed the box on the same shelf in the garage where the FiTech Go EFI box sits. I then installed an Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 (PF4). The PF4 is more work than installing a FiTech product because the PF4 harness, ECU, and weatherpak connectors are huge, sensors are external, and it's a little difficult to hide all the wiring. I actually gave up on trying to hide the ECU and just screwed it to a flat sheet of aluminum I screwed to my heater fan box in the engine bay. Looking into the left corner of the engine bay from the front of the car it looks like the inside of a service box for a commercial laundry. Not doing a restoration, so even though it is a rookie move, I figured I could live with it. Besides it's a '65 Chev El Camino.

All in all the design, performance, and ease of use with an android tuning device over Bluetooth is a very welcome improvement over using the half baked FiTech MPFI setup and credit card sized tuner. If you haven't tried both versions of MPFI, you won't ever know what you are missing settling on what FiTech provides.

Edlebrock is working on support for forced induction in the Pro-Flo 4 and 4 XT products. Nitrous support won't be included. So if you need nitrous support, you have to come up with another solution or use another EFI system that does provide software support for nitrous.

For a NA street only ride, the PF4 checks all the boxes including the price performance box. I plan to leave this setup on unless it dies, in which case I will go back to carburetion, and get a new heater box. YMMV

'65 Chev El Camino
350/400+HP, 700R4
Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 MPFI
Global West, QA1, Viking, Wilwood, UMI, ProForged
'68 P-11 Norton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 19, 1:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Re: Replaced FiTech Go Port with a Pro-Flo 4

I thought the Pro-Flo 4 looked very good. Will you do any dyno tuning?

How's the software, can you get really detailed in the tuning?

What about timing control?

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter:
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 19, 1:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Garage

I don't even know who you are anymore...

Why the change?

2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
6.0, 4L80e, 3.73's = [email protected], 1.49

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 19, 7:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rel3rd View Post
I don't even know who you are anymore...

Why the change?
I tried keeping the faith, but my FiTech tolerance meter maxed out. The system started getting real flakey and never ran right after a long trip where it acted like it was shutting off and restarting about every 8 minutes or so. Did that for 107 miles heading home. Never thought I'd get home, but I did. I got it close to running right again just before I bought the Pro Flo 4, but really lost my trust in the system, and it was time for it to go. If I were 30 years younger and living paycheck to paycheck I might have put up with it some more, but I'm done putting up with stuff that makes me work too hard to keep it running.

The Pro-Flo 4 is impressive. Edelbrock did their homework.
91c1500sleeper likes this.

'65 Chev El Camino
350/400+HP, 700R4
Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 MPFI
'68 P-11 Norton
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 19, 7:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SS454- View Post

The PF4 has enough user tuning features to make just about anything run well. AFR, pump shot and duration, timing control, overall fuel, crank fuel, yadd yadda. Edelbrock has 32 base fuel maps to choose from, and you can custom tune from those base maps. If you want to edit VE tables and dig deep into EFI, you should probably look at systems that support HP tuner.

It is a sequential firing MPFI system that relies on timing control. It comes with a distributor that is a locked, and you drop it in at 12 degrees BTDC. Then verify base timing with the handheld tuner and a timing light. So yes indeed it supports timing control. You can modify the curve in the software.

The tuning software looks really dumbed down intentionally, but it isn't dumbed down internally. The ECU in the PF4 is quick. Small tuning changes in the right direction get implemented and integrated instantly. It's a winner if you don't want to spend endless days trying to make the system work.

If you want more information about installing the system and the tuning features, you can download pdf documents from Summit racing and other places.

'65 Chev El Camino
350/400+HP, 700R4
Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 MPFI
'68 P-11 Norton
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 19, 9:37 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwany View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by -SS454- View Post

The PF4 has enough user tuning features to make just about anything run well. AFR, pump shot and duration, timing control, overall fuel, crank fuel, yadd yadda. Edelbrock has 32 base fuel maps to choose from, and you can custom tune from those base maps. If you want to edit VE tables and dig deep into EFI, you should probably look at systems that support HP tuner.

It is a sequential firing MPFI system that relies on timing control. It comes with a distributor that is a locked, and you drop it in at 12 degrees BTDC. Then verify base timing with the handheld tuner and a timing light. So yes indeed it supports timing control. You can modify the curve in the software.

The tuning software looks really dumbed down intentionally, but it isn't dumbed down internally. The ECU in the PF4 is quick. Small tuning changes in the right direction get implemented and integrated instantly. It's a winner if you don't want to spend endless days trying to make the system work.

If you want more information about installing the system and the tuning features, you can download pdf documents from Summit racing and other places.
I want to add to this(although mine is a 3 and slower sadly)...
Honestly I don't feel a dyno tune is necessary as the system works awesome without it. No weird bogs, issues at high rpm, or idle. Once it starts learning it's pretty much set and go--if you know what you really need for afr you are set to go.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 19, 9:49 PM
Tech Team
Ken

Garage

Two years with the FiTech and absolutely no problems. The previous owner had it professionally installed by a high end restoration shop right before he sold it.
Maybe that's why it works so well, it was professionally installed and set up.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 19, 11:43 PM
Senior Tech Team

Same here.

A year with Fitech's most complex system, the Ultimate LS system, that I hacked up and modified to work on a Mk IV 496. No problems here.

Steve, shutting down every 8 miles, I would think that was a fuel supply problem.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 19, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksky View Post
Two years with the FiTech and absolutely no problems. The previous owner had it professionally installed by a high end restoration shop right before he sold it.
Maybe that's why it works so well, it was professionally installed and set up.
Professional installation doesn't hold water for me. Doesn't matter if it's a high end shop or not. The FiTech 4150 mount throttle body system is the easiest to install out there.

The FiTech Go EFI 600HP I installed originally worked fine for over a year. I took it off to try out the FiTech Go Port MPFI setup. I'm sure the Go EFI I have still works fine, it just happens to be in a box now. The Go Port I installed worked well for about 18 months, but out of the blue took a crap. It's got nothing to do with the install, and FiTech system failures are not that uncommon. I'm sure the overall percentage compared to units sold is not that high, but it does happen.

'65 Chev El Camino
350/400+HP, 700R4
Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 MPFI
'68 P-11 Norton
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 19, 10:27 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
...FiTech system failures are not that uncommon.

I haven't seen this. I follow (and participate a lot) in the Ultimate LS Facebook page and I also follow the Holley Terminator-X (LS) page.

Many Fitech users are good at first start up, some have had issues, a ver few had bad ECUs. But I haven't seen anybody say over time things go bad. As time goes on, the product seems to had become more reliable. Many problems are installation/user caused.

The Holley system is the same, they have their issues, mostly with components not communication.

How may I help you?
1999 Trans Am-500hp
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 19, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul bell View Post
Steve, shutting down every 8 miles, I would think that was a fuel supply problem.
Yeah, I thought that and about 40 other things.

It didn't shut down and die. It stopped firing for a tick, nose dived a little, and started running normally (if you can call it normally) again. I never had to pull off the HWY, and restart the car. 8 minutes is an approximation guess at the frequency. It was random and more frequent, since it happened about 40 times in 107 miles.

Not a fuel supply problem. More than likely it was something noise or poor connection related in the electrical system. Could have been in the car's electrical system, the ignition system, or the ECU itself. It definitely confused the hell out of the ECU, and the next day the motor would run and die idling, which is usually a loss of RPM signal.

I went through the entire electrical system, rerouted the main harness and had to re-flash the ECU and start over with the calibration to get the motor to run reasonably well the next day. I also tried different distributors, coils, plugs and so on and so forth while troubleshooting. I did get it to run again, but the system never worked as smoothly as it did before the incident during the cruise. It still hauled butt from a stand still. The Go Port's greatest strength for me was that it always took full throttle without a hiccup. Regardless, I had been looking for an excuse to take off the FiTech and try sequential firing MPFI designed by a mature company that had been working with EFI since 1979.

I'm running the same fuel system I was using with the Go Port with the Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 and zero problems. The Edelbrock reads fuel pressure (which the FiTech does not do) and it matches the adjustable bypass fuel pressure regulator gauge exactly. Never a hiccup.

I'm not here trying to hurt the feelings of satisfied FiTech users. I'm just reporting an experience.
paul bell likes this.

'65 Chev El Camino
350/400+HP, 700R4
Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 MPFI
'68 P-11 Norton
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 19, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul bell View Post
I haven't seen this. I follow (and participate a lot) in the Ultimate LS Facebook page and I also follow the Holley Terminator-X (LS) page.
Several users in the "FiTech owners group" on facebook have reported ECU failures. FiTech replaces some of the ECUs at no cost, and some ECUs the users have to pay for. Since you don't belong to that group, you wouldn't have seen those failure reports.

'65 Chev El Camino
350/400+HP, 700R4
Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 MPFI
'68 P-11 Norton
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 19, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomatrd View Post
I want to add to this(although mine is a 3 and slower sadly)...
Honestly I don't feel a dyno tune is necessary as the system works awesome without it. No weird bogs, issues at high rpm, or idle. Once it starts learning it's pretty much set and go--if you know what you really need for afr you are set to go.
Yep, compared to the Go Port the Pro-Flo 4 system is a dream so far. Must be all the installer errors I made that makes it work so well.
paul bell likes this.

'65 Chev El Camino
350/400+HP, 700R4
Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 MPFI
'68 P-11 Norton
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 19, 3:43 PM
Senior Tech Team

Steve, here in the Chevelles Forums, one has to be tough and not let their feelings get hurt!

And I'm certain you performed a quality install.

How may I help you?
1999 Trans Am-500hp
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 19, 3:49 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Yep, compared to the Go Port the Pro-Flo 4 system is a dream so far. Must be all the installer errors I made that makes it work so well.
Yep, I have let mine sit for a year(moved out of state) came back and it fired up like I was driving it every day.
alex1970 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in