• 1 Post By Hugger67
  • 2 Post By Hugger67
  • 1 Post By darksky

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 19, 6:52 PM Thread Starter
Rick

Using FiTech ECU as Anti-Theft Device - Questions

Hi All,
First off, this is not a post to rant about how my FiTech has made my car impossible to steal because it never starts! Mine is actually running very well...now. But there were MANY times along the path to having it run well when my, yes my way off CALs loaded to the ECU kept it from coming anywhere close to starting. And that got me thinking...well, it actually got me swearing, but after I finished swearing and it was running, I starting thinking that maybe I should create a CAL load specifically as an anti-theft measure.

For the FiTech (using GoEFI 600) there's one setting change that would keep the engine from starting, and a new CAL would not be required, just use the handheld to navigate to Go-EFI Initial Setup/Engine Setup/07-Tach or 2Wire+Coil. If set to "TACH" just change to "VRCOIL" or reverse those setting and presto, no starting that engine no matter how long you crank it. I've proven that works by mistake. The problem with that solution is the system still dumps fuel in the engine. The longer you try cranking it the more fuel that gets dumped, and that's not good at all. Do that too long and you'll have fouled plugs and it might be hard to start even when you correct the ignition issue...yep, proven that also.

I want to create a CAL, change it's name to "Security Locked" and have settings that disable both the ignition and the fuel. The ignition part is easy (read above), it's the fuel part for which I'm seeking assistance. I'm thinking if I set the Prime Fuel Mul to -100 and all the Crank Fuel settings to -70, that should keep any fuel from being delivered even if someone bypasses both my ignition and fuel pump kill switches. Anything else to change? Or is there one setting that would ensure no fuel would be delivered if someone is able to crank the engine?

To use this Security CAL I would first write the current CAL from ECU to the handheld to make sure all the learned data would be saved; then write the Security CAL to the ECU. When I want to use the car, I would just write the "good" CAL back to the ECU. If I forgot to load the good CAL it would be evident, but also, I would not have been causing any harm because no fuel would get dumped into the manifold. You might be thinking two kill switches would be enough, but I live in Albuquerque, NM...the auto theft capital of America! I want to make it so painful that even if the car was towed, and they found both switches, it still would not start...and there would be nothing physical for them to find to fix. This isn't a CAL I would use very often, but if I was leaving the car in a public place for a long time, such as for a show, or parking at a hotel when taking trips, I would use it as extra security.

And for anyone that came to this thread because their FiTech is serving as a non-intended, swear inducing security device...good luck getting it running!

Cheers!
Rick
Pioneer4x4 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 19, 9:17 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage
Re: Using FiTech ECU as Anti-Theft Device - Questions

Good idea, maybe easier to change something like cylinder count, or cid to something so far off it won't run, but it will draw attention as it almost does.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 19, 10:44 AM
Tech Team
John

I have been having the same thoughts in the back of my mind, I was thinking about setting the redline as low as it will go, but always forget to see what is. IF it can be set to zero, that would be a no start situation.

But regardless, if they want it, there are no amount of security measures that will trump a determined thief. Sometimes itís best to insure for replacement value and hope for the best.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 19, 11:32 AM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Garage

A small FiTech sticker in the corner of a window might also work.

I worry more about asshats in parking lots in big trucks swinging their doors out hard and dinging my body panels than anyone jacking my sled. I don't keep the handheld in the car that much, and although a good idea, I'd forget to do what you are talking about anyway.

I agree with John. If they really want it and know how to take it, they are going to take it.

'65 Chev El Camino
350/400+HP, 700R4
Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 MPFI
Global West, QA1, Viking, Wilwood, UMI, ProForged
'68 P-11 Norton
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 19, 12:32 PM
Tech Team
Eddie

Garage

If they are going to steal it, they will have a tow truck. They are not gonna try to start it. Unlock the door with a slim jim (ridiculously easy on our cars), throw it in neutral, roll it around the corner where tow truck awaits. I witnessed this from my friends video footage when they stole his Charger, car was gone in less than 3 minutes.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 19, 5:56 PM
Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie K View Post
If they are going to steal it, they will have a tow truck. They are not gonna try to start it. Unlock the door with a slim jim (ridiculously easy on our cars), throw it in neutral, roll it around the corner where tow truck awaits. I witnessed this from my friends video footage when they stole his Charger, car was gone in less than 3 minutes.
Exactly. In another life as a young welder, I fixed many a repo truck.

Such a simple setup, regular looking pickup, nothing to see here kind of thing.

In the bed was a hydraulic extendable arm with hooks on it. The whole thing was mounted on a large swivel.

He gave a demo to us at the shop first time he came in, back up to the rear of the car in question while extending the arm, hook the car, and drive off while retracting the arm.

IIRC, there were about 5-6 buttons on the remote in the cab. I'm talking a huge remote, like one off an industrial 100 ton crane, but specifically made for the tow rig. It was awesome.

Whole thing took about 10 seconds.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 19, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Rick

Well those are depressing stories...no wonder so many folks trailer their rides! So for those that love to drive their cars on long trips...I guess the answer is to spend the night curled up in the back seat with Ms. Smith and Ms. Wesson!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 19, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Rick

Actually, the sticker idea is great! "Warning: This car is protected by FiTech EFI; don't even try to start it!" Could serve dual purposes...provides a laugh for those in the know...and...if a thief does try to steal it and it doesn't start...and they come back and sue your ass for mental anguish (this is America after all!); you can explain you had posted a warning!
71350SS and SSJohn like this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 19, 1:39 AM
Tech Team
Ken

Garage

The previous owner of my 67 Chevelle (350 ZZ4 crate engine) had a Fi-Tech professionally installed and it has been problem free for the last two years. When I took it on the initial test drive it wouldn't start and we quickly discovered one of the fuse holders near the Fi-Tech unit wasn't latching onto the fuse tightly enough. A simple fix. This gives me an idea for this thread... remove the fuse. Then when the key is turned on the fuel pump doesn't even run. Yeah I know it could be towed away anyway.
SSJohn likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 19, 9:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie K View Post
Most thefts are via roll back or tow truck. If they want it bad enough they are going to get it no matter what you do so just ensure you have it insured right.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 19, 12:02 PM
Tech Team
Tj

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisch View Post
just ensure you have it insured right.

That is the million dollar statement there. There are usually lots of restrictions and limitations on classic car policies. One a lot of people miss is if you are in a state that offers 'special' plates and those plates have restrictions all the insurance company has to say in their policy is that the car has to be legally operated and registered. Lets say you state has classic plates that are only good for weekends and something happens on a weekday? Insurance is off the hook because the car wasn't being operated legally based on the type of registration.

My state the classic plates (which I don't have) don't really mean much so the insurance company doesn't require them. Some states some insurance companies require the classic plates so you can really be limited to how and when you use the car.

Sorry no Chevelle, 73 Cadillac Eldorado - Fairly stock low comp 500cid.
FiTech Go4 600 - Timing control via gutted 7 pin large cap HEI - Fuel RobbMc Powersurge with returns.
Previous system was Megasquirt w/Holley TBI so I am not new to DIY EFI
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 19, 8:31 PM
Senior Tech Team
Andrew

Pull the ECU fuse and the fuel pump relay.

Andrew

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram @projectgattago

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in