Looking to convert to EFI - Chevelle Tech
EFI Caution: Beyond here be monsters...

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 19, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Looking to convert to EFI

If this has been addressed, my apologies. I have done a good amount of research on the efi conversion and many people seem happy. I am ready to pull the trigger, but I needed some clarity on a few things. I am leaning toward the Holley Sniper kit, but wasn’t sure if anything else was needed. Here are a few questions for you guys....

1. Is the kit sufficient? Is there anything I am missing that I would need in addition to the kit?

2. Has anyone had issues with fuel slosh? If so did you go with something like the g surge? I noticed fitech offers a kit with the g surge as well.

3. Regarding the return line, I noticed Holley said that you could put it in the neck, but also noticed they recommended having a hose sent to the bottom of the tank to prevent aeration. A bit of a contradiction. What are your suggestions?

I am sure many of these suggestions are based on ALL vehicles, so I was looking to you guys to tell me your experiences, Chevelle specific. Are these issues that you have seen with Chevelles (specifically 67’) and what is the best route to make sure I don’t have these issues.

Don’t mind going new tank if that solves all issues, but I just had the original tank replaced 2 yrs back and if it isn’t needed, I’d avoid it.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 19, 10:53 AM
Tech Team
Greg

I am looking at the same thing for my 66 SS, also looking at the Sniper. A buddy of mine did this to his 72 Duster but it’s a Dodge and never ran right from new. (A friendly rivalry we have). But he loves extra drivability it gives, not to mention the improvements in power and fuel savings.

Interested to read others view of the installation, setup and use.

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 19, 10:54 AM
Tech Team

Re: Looking to convert to EFI

I have the Sniper, but didnt get the kit. I wanted the pump in the tank. So I got the Holley in-tank kit. Love it. Cost me an extra $200 in the long run, but I can run the tank dry (if I wanted), I cant hear it with the engine on and none of the issues associated with the pump inline.

68 Chevelle 138 car, 6.0 LQ4 w/ 75mm and 4L80e
73 CJ-5 with a 468 BBC 10:1, 265 AFR's, Sniper EFI. The wheelie machine

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 19, 1:16 PM
Tech Team
Tj

Except for one race application I don't think anyone has had issues with the new proper in tank setups. If they make one for your car that really seems like the way to go. Only compromise involved there is a slight cost issue but its cheaper to spend it all up front rather than buy and install some other setup and not be happy.

The rest of the options have more compromises. In some situations they may not be that bad but in others they can be a real pain. I originally thought the g surge type of thing was the perfect solution but it too has issues. Among them is you need to find a cool place to mount it which means next to or in front of the radiator which isn't always the easiest thing to do.

Sorry no Chevelle, 73 Cadillac Eldorado - Fairly stock low comp 500cid.
FiTech Go4 600 - Timing control via gutted 7 pin large cap HEI - Fuel RobbMc Powersurge with returns.
Previous system was Megasquirt w/Holley TBI so I am not new to DIY EFI
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 19, 4:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

I already bought the Holley Sniper for my 496 but haven't installed it yet.

Claude.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 19, 9:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
sam

Garage

I actually bought the kit first, then decided for peace of mind to get the sniper tank for my 67. I think if you were getting the kit for 1250 or the unit itself for 999, and adding the sniper tank for 550, the extra few hundred would be worth it. Remember youíll need fittings and EFI hose. I found vibrant to be good price and quality.
I had previously bought a 67 SS style-pickup with the return on it, from spectra, so I wouldnít have to drill the tank but was concerned about the size of the return fitting. Also have the in tank pump, and other fittings too. I figure someone will need the. At some point.
Good luck with your decision.

1967 Royal Plum, 434BB, AFR Heads, 3.90 gears, New Chris Straub Hyd Roller!, 200r4
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 19, 10:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTC67 View Post
If this has been addressed, my apologies. I have done a good amount of research on the efi conversion and many people seem happy. I am ready to pull the trigger, but I needed some clarity on a few things. I am leaning toward the Holley Sniper kit, but wasnít sure if anything else was needed. Here are a few questions for you guys....

1. Is the kit sufficient? Is there anything I am missing that I would need in addition to the kit?

2. Has anyone had issues with fuel slosh? If so did you go with something like the g surge? I noticed fitech offers a kit with the g surge as well.

3. Regarding the return line, I noticed Holley said that you could put it in the neck, but also noticed they recommended having a hose sent to the bottom of the tank to prevent aeration. A bit of a contradiction. What are your suggestions?

I am sure many of these suggestions are based on ALL vehicles, so I was looking to you guys to tell me your experiences, Chevelle specific. Are these issues that you have seen with Chevelles (specifically 67í) and what is the best route to make sure I donít have these issues.

Donít mind going new tank if that solves all issues, but I just had the original tank replaced 2 yrs back and if it isnít needed, Iíd avoid it.

Thanks!

Do yourself a favor and get the EFI ready tank. I got the Tanks Inc tank along with the basic Sniper. It will only cost about $200 more and makes for a cleaner and easier install. Got the Sniper and all the necessary fittings, return hose and filter from https://www.efisystempro.com/

Found a good deal on the Tanks Inc tank on ebay and was all in for $1600.

Just make sure you mount the vent for the tank above the tank. I mounted mine just above the filler neck behind the bumper
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 19, 10:54 PM
Tech Team

I would also say that I wish I had just gone with an EFI tank from the get-go on my sniper. Had a long chase of a starvation issue that I misdiagnosed for a while as tuning, etc. Ended up with a stock tank with a McRobb 1/2" fuel pickup and a hydramat. Still probably going to update to an EFI tank in the near future. I've seen a Tanks Inc tank in person and they are quite nice.

72 Chevelle Malibu
Muncie M20
SBC 406
KB Pistons
PW Aluminum heads
RPM Air Gap Intake
MSD 6AL2
Holley Sniper EFI
Holley Dualsync
Stainless Long Tubes to 2.5 Exhaust
UMI Suspension Stage 2
CPP Steering setup
10 bolt rear - 3.55 with Eaton Posi
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 5:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone’s info, I feel much better now about how to move forward. I will update!
eightballworld likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 19, 2:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Build PTFE fuel lines. Rubber EFI hose works, is cheap, and super easy to work with, but eventually off gases fuel vapor. PTFE is rated at 1600psi, is considerably stronger, never stinks, and is not that difficult to work with.

In-line pumps work fine if you buy the right pump, and have the right vehicle to get the pump low and close to the fuel out from the sender unit on a stock tank. Sedans with low fuel tanks in the chassis with no clearance around them are not the right vehicle.

My return goes into the filler tube, but the filler tube is not low and on the rear of the tank. It is on the side of the vehicle and high.

FiTech is no longer associated with HyperFuel products. I would avoid anything fuel pump related from FiTech anyway.

Essentially... One more check box for spending the money on an EFI tank. It'll solve all your concerns.

'65 Chev El Camino
350/400+HP, 700R4
Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 MPFI
Global West, QA1, Viking, Wilwood, UMI, ProForged
'68 P-11 Norton
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 19, 9:53 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Funny, what I read on this internet goes against what I SEE at car cruises. People have nothing but trouble with those Retro fuel injection systems from what I see. Almost every big cruise I see the flat bed because of a FI issue. Another one is the Retro roller set ups going south..
I live in Pittsburgh which is one of the gear head capitals of the east.. We have dozens of very good garages and mechanics here.. However, this could all be due to owner/ installer error..
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 19, 5:43 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Just a W.A.G. most EFI install issues are electrical issues, agreed? You go from 1 wire for ignition to about a dozen. Most of that is all new wiring, lots of places for errors, or quality connection issues.
As for fuel, go with the most stock setup you can, proven, dependable, replaceable.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 19, 6:33 PM
Senior Tech Team

I installed a rather complicated fuel injection system and a proper fuel injection fueling system and I haven't had any problems. I've gone on long drives and not once needed a flatbed. The system has yet to fail me-and I don't expect it to.

Of course, proper electrical practices and carefully reading and following the maker's instructions are required. And yes, from what I see (I follow the Fitech and Holley pages on Facebook) most problems are caused by installer errors or not following the instructions.

A proper fuel injection fuel system, with pump in tank, is pretty much required to ensure reliability and drive-ability for any fuel injection system.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 8:02 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Actually I don't like the FiTech I installed for one reason. I installed it, looking forward to having the in car display, and tuning it a bit. The only thing I learned from it is I never wind my ZZ4 up that high. I removed my extra gauges for A/C underdash, and the FiTech handheld covers temp and volts, and tach, but not Oil Pressure, and I never worry about that anyway, still have a light. I don't think I have driven the car with the in car display more than 5% of the time. I drive it like a modern car now, fire it up, put it in gear and go, almost makes the El Camino a bit boring in a good way. There is a couple little things that I want to try to tune out and make it perfect, but out of the box, it is already pretty dang good.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 11:39 AM
Tech Team

I just installed the Sniper master kit on my '69 3 weeks ago.
Everything came with the kit that I needed. There is room to mount the fuel pump in the frame rail so no issues with that.
There were a couple issues that I had and I was able to speak with Holley techs who helped me with them. I have not had any starvation issues with my mild 454. I'm using a new stock style tank with a return line. everything is 3/8 hose.
So far I'm more than happy with the system, it is still "learning", I have about 150 miles on it so far.
It is plug and play, however, you can use a laptop and their software to do a more custom tune if you desire.

Hope this helps, Shaun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in