Anyone regret making the switch to EFI? - Page 6 - Chevelle Tech
EFI Caution: Beyond here be monsters...

94Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #76 of 91 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 8:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Russ

Garage
Re: Anyone regret making the switch to EFI?

I like EFI because you can drive at elevations ranging from sea level (CA) to 12,000' (CO) and the EFI will adjust. No way to tune a carb to run well across that range! I've heard that Cadillac used an altitude compensating Q-Jet carb on some of their engines. If you drive somewhere flat, a carb can be tuned to run well. Factory EFI is a big reason I went LS.
-SS454- and oleskoolchev like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 91 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 8:29 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_69_malibu View Post
Surely.....you can't be serious?

EFI is vastly superior in nearly every way....

Not in WOT operation. Not at all superior.
Yep. Besides, a 396 just doesn’t look right w/anything but a 4150 on top !
post #78 of 91 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 9:05 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SS454- View Post
Be warned. oleskoolchev is like an ambassador for that K&N product. There was a whole thread on it, I recommend doing a search. He has also been on other forums doing the exact same thing. While I encourage your own research, that product would be the last thing I recommend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF74chevelle View Post
I agree, I read through that whole thread of that K&N plate and just don't understand how someone could justify buying that thing. It is seriously for those that cannot tune a carb or don't want to spend on a real EFI system. It's a weird in between.
I think it would work for a guy that has a performance carb with the choke horn milled off, an electric choke so to speak. That would make it easier to daily drive. I know if I richen up my car to idle cold, it idles very rich when warm. Smells up the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomatrd View Post
It's a 500 dollar feedback system.

I didn't think of this before... for whatever reason... But oleskool keeps saying it is cheaper than EFI...
When you factor in NEEDING to have a carb with it, it actually costs the same, or more!
Say you spent 500 dollars on a carb... then 500 dollars on this thing. You now have 1000 dollars into a carb... which you could have easily spent on a Fitech(while not the best out there, still better than most carbs) and fuel system.
I dont think you can use fijunk as a $ compairo from carb to efi. We had one on the dyno for 2 days trying to get the 20hp lost to it. After seeing that debacle I completely changed my attitude towards EFI. Unless its a factory based system I will never buy one.

I see later you do a $ amount from efi to carb. Every Chevelle came with a carb gas tank and fuel lines so why the extra 500 for something it has? My car still has the original tank.
oleskoolchev likes this.

post #79 of 91 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 9:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Gotta tell you, I have a $4k Holley EFI/fuel sys on the Chevelle, and it runs stupendous. BUT, that Holley 950HP carb was just as responsive for $300.00 used lol!!!! It would be hard to give up all that datalogging, rev limiters, ignition control, safety systems, etc.

But then again, if you drive the car ~1000 miles a year, why complicate things more than they need to be? Carbs do work pretty darn good....

*69 SS 502 EFI /224* HR/9.8:1/T56/3.90 11.5/124mph
*11 C6, 6.2, 6spd
*96 Stang 6.0 turbo 10.5/135mph
*61" Scag Kohler 22hp 7mph
***In progress...04 Mustang, 454, TKO***
post #80 of 91 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 12:08 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

as Clint mentioned, stay on topic here or this this will go away quickly. Be a shame, some good stuff in here.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #81 of 91 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 12:11 AM
Bob

This may be sacrilege, but I'm rebuilding a numbers matching 70 ls6 454, and I want to drive it without issue after its been sitting for a few months. Also, my wife doesn't want the smell in the garage. Since it costs a lot more for a divorce, I'm putting in the Holly Sniper kit. When I get ready to sell it. The old carb will go back on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BB7593BB-5FE9-4F73-8BD4-29A22652DF6A_1558066260321.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	593878   Click image for larger version

Name:	550DD2AC-639C-4859-B678-D393E9E78386_1558066292060.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	593880  
pannetron and Kopfjaeger like this.
post #82 of 91 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 10:10 AM
Tech Team
Tj

I agree with pretty much what everyone has said in this thread and I would do it again. Its not for everyone and saving money big picture wise isn't likely so I always try to convince people that that alone isn't a good reason to do EFI.

I don't think I had my handheld controller hooked up more than one time last year and I know its had not yet been plugged in this year and I really like that fact. Its just been working. Actually its been working so well that a lot of other issues with the car have started to really bug me. Just about every time I accelerate I think how nice and smooth it is except for the vibration in the tires and the rattle and the squeak int he dash and the non working speaker and the non working heat or ac and the ........

1975 was a year that Cadillac had a 6 jet Quadrajet. Would that make it a hexajet? I don't know if any other makes used it and I think it was just part of 75 that Cadillac used it. I had a 73 and a 75 almost identical cars except for that carb. That 75 got dang near 20 mpg mixed driving while the other ones would be lucky to get into the low teens.

One of the extra jets was for altitude and I think that was an option on other cars but you only got it as the high altitude option, not on all models like this one year Cad. The metering rod for the jet was hooked to and controlled by what they called an aneroid which was basically a metal balloon.

The other extra jet and variable metering rod I think they called a part throttle compensator that must have had some different vacuum signal than the primary metering rods.

I have heard that they were very difficult carbs to get tuned and running right and very easy to abuse and screw up. Mine was a low mile original car that I don't think had been apart before I took it apart. I was very careful and apparently got it back together correctly.
pannetron likes this.

Sorry no Chevelle, 73 Cadillac Eldorado - Fairly stock low comp 500cid.
FiTech Go4 600 - Timing control via gutted 7 pin large cap HEI - Fuel RobbMc Powersurge with returns.
Previous system was Megasquirt w/Holley TBI so I am not new to DIY EFI
post #83 of 91 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 12:40 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-CHVL View Post
Gotta tell you, I have a $4k Holley EFI/fuel sys on the Chevelle, and it runs stupendous. BUT, that Holley 950HP carb was just as responsive for $300.00 used lol!!!! It would be hard to give up all that datalogging, rev limiters, ignition control, safety systems, etc.

But then again, if you drive the car ~1000 miles a year, why complicate things more than they need to be? Carbs do work pretty darn good....
Hit the nail on the had with this.
That is how I feel myself LOL

Also I sent you a PM, I am curious about your windstar fans.
post #84 of 91 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 1:27 PM
Tech Team

I've put the cheap 400 hp fitech unit on stock '72 c10 with a 350 that previously had a quadrajet. It was a pretty sizeable improvement, though I can't speak about the mileage as it's not my truck. That said, I took a well tuned 850 dp off the 468 in my chevelle and put a street demon 750 on it. I have not compared mileage yet, as I don't have it fully dialed in. By watching my gas gauge, it seems to be better than the 850, while not giving up a noticeable amount of power. The reason I mention the street demon as it has really good manners and cost me $355 or so. It's not as good as efi, but (assuming you already have a carbureted engine) it's a fraction of the price. I could make a case for either efi or carbs, I'm quite comfortable with both. If you get good quality stuff, you won't go wrong with either.

'71 chevelle, 468, TH400, 12 bolt posi w/3.08's, drinks a lot of 87 octane.
post #85 of 91 (permalink) Old May 19th, 19, 9:51 PM
Tech Team

I don't regret going from carb to the Holley Sniper system. My reasoning was that I was going to have to buy a new carb anyways when I dropped in the small block 400 going from a fairly stock 350, so why not?

Of course, just the "master kit" wasn't enough to get the EFI going. And also I decided to pick up the dual sync distributor to be able to control timing. I spent probably 4-5 times as much as i would have just buying a nice holley carb and being done with it. But I love a challenge and learning new things. As a car guy, isn't wasting money a hedonistic pleasure of ours?

I do regret wasting quite a bit of time chasing down what I believed to be a tuning issue for the better part of last summer, which ended up being fuel starvation on acceleration. My car would only behave if i had 3/4 tank of gas or more.

Do yourself a massive favour and just buy an EFI tank if you decide to make the switch to EFI. You will thank me in the long run. I now am running a holley hydramat on a RobbMC 1/2" pickup. The pickup, hydramat, and submersible tube probably cost me just as much as an EFI tank would have. Still considering going to an EFI tank as FiTech has some very affordable options.

https://imgur.com/t1JYALn

72 Chevelle Malibu
Muncie M20
SBC 406
KB Pistons
PW Aluminum heads
RPM Air Gap Intake
MSD 6AL2
Holley Sniper EFI
Holley Dualsync
Stainless Long Tubes to 2.5 Exhaust
UMI Suspension Stage 2
CPP Steering setup
10 bolt rear - 3.55 with Eaton Posi
post #86 of 91 (permalink) Old May 20th, 19, 10:31 AM
Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannetron View Post
I like EFI because you can drive at elevations ranging from sea level (CA) to 12,000' (CO) and the EFI will adjust. No way to tune a carb to run well across that range! I've heard that Cadillac used an altitude compensating Q-Jet carb on some of their engines. If you drive somewhere flat, a carb can be tuned to run well. Factory EFI is a big reason I went LS.
You get it! There is no way to tune a carb to run well across that range.
pannetron likes this.
post #87 of 91 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 19, 2:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Russ

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightballworld View Post
Do yourself a massive favour and just buy an EFI tank if you decide to make the switch to EFI. You will thank me in the long run. I now am running a holley hydramat on a RobbMC 1/2" pickup. The pickup, hydramat, and submersible tube probably cost me just as much as an EFI tank would have. Still considering going to an EFI tank as FiTech has some very affordable options.https://imgur.com/t1JYALn
Edelbrock makes an EFI sump kit (https://www.edelbrock.com/adjustable...psi-36031.html) that might help when using an OEM carb tank. But I agree that an EFI tank with an in-tank pump is the way to go. I used a VaporWorx controller (https://www.vaporworx.com/documentat...l-controllers/) to increase pump life and eliminate the return fuel line.
ssdan likes this.
post #88 of 91 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 19, 9:14 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Garage

For me it was 30+ years of Holley carbs tuned for WOT, which means driving around town for a night out I'd stink up my clothes with rich fuel smells. After the switch, I'm EFI tuned for all RPM ranges and couldn't be happier. I don't think I gained horsepower vs carb but I did gain consistency in power range. I also have noticeable low end torque that I wasn't able to achieve with my carb setup for WOT. And my long distance travels where I'm out for 200 mile run, my gas mileage has improved from 11mpg to around 14mpg. There ain't no way I'm going back to a carb, even if the carb was free, no way.
post #89 of 91 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 9:01 PM
Tech Team

No Regrets at all....Holley Sniper

I actually originally did it because I couldn't us my AC with my 670 Avenger, it would just die when the compressor kicked on and there were no good idle up solutions. Also, cold starts in the spring and fall were a pain as I had to wait for it to warm up before I could drive it reliably...

All that is solved and gone. I had some glitches with EMI early on and learning to get the IAC set up for my car as well the timing control set up, but once I learned all that it has been a great thing...turn the key and it starts and drives! No reliability issues at all.

Anyone want to buy a 670 Avenger with electric choke and all sorts of spare parts?! Boxed up and ready to go!
post #90 of 91 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 10:39 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyGuy View Post
For me it was 30+ years of Holley carbs tuned for WOT, which means driving around town for a night out I'd stink up my clothes with rich fuel smells.
This was a big EFI benefit for me as well. The garage would stink for hours after cranking it up. My professionally prepped blow thru carb was awesome at the track but dead rich at cruise/idle.

Last night I finally made it to the track with the Super Sniper and it did awesome. I put a very conservative tune in it since it was my first time to the track with it and it is all done in seconds on the PC. No loosening the distributor on a scalding hot engine to adjust timing. No draining bowls to change jets. Not to mention air bleed tuning.

I know it is not for everyone, and it is definitely expensive but I am very happy with the Sniper so far.
pannetron and 123pugsy like this.

406 SBC, 9:1, AFR 195s, TH400, Coan converter, 3.50
ProCharger D1SC, 10 psi., AIS meth injection, Carb Shop 750 (Sniper EFI conversion 2019)
1.319 60', [email protected] on pump gas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in