Anyone regret making the switch to EFI? - Page 5 - Chevelle Tech
EFI Caution: Beyond here be monsters...

85Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 86 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 10:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Re: Anyone regret making the switch to EFI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleskoolchev View Post
Don't blame another member when you make a reference. Either own it or don't mention it.

Now go back to the beginning and you will see that I shared my hands-on experience with this product and those with NO experience chimed in negatively. I don't care if another unit is ever sold; my experience with it was more than favorable and I'd recommend it to anyone with a carburetor.

If your claiming that I'm trying to pitch a sale by sharing my experience, so be it. But be consistent and do the same with those pitching EFI!
I had no intentions on bringing other members into your little spat. I didn't go looking on other forums, so don't call me a stalker. But the information was published on here for everyone to see and I think that information is useful.

Maybe if you were a frequent contributor to this forum your opinions would be viewed differently. Apparently the only "hands on" experience you have is for the K&N ECI. Nothing about a Chevelle, an engine, a transmission, a set of tires. Nothing. I see you revived the K&N thread for some reason. It's a shame you have no other information to share. And just to be clear, I was not giving warning about the K&N product, I was giving warning about YOU.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/SS454LS6
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ss454_ls6/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SS454_LS6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 86 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 10:55 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SS454- View Post
I had no intentions on bringing other members into your little spat. I didn't go looking on other forums, so don't call me a stalker. But the information was published on here for everyone to see and I think that information is useful.

Maybe if you were a frequent contributor to this forum your opinions would be viewed differently. Apparently the only "hands on" experience you have is for the K&N ECI. Nothing about a Chevelle, an engine, a transmission, a set of tires. Nothing. I see you revived the K&N thread for some reason. It's a shame you have no other information to share. And just to be clear, I was not giving warning about the K&N product, I was giving warning about YOU.
You clearly brought another member into this 'spat' as quoted by you. ("It was another member that found the other forum where you promote the product.") Like I said; own your actions.

I didn't realize there was a "frequent contributor" group that new contributors should check with before sharing their experience. Perhaps you should put a notice on the front page of this site. Nor did I realize that posting in other sections of the site was a prerequisite to posting in one section. Again, post a notice...

Why do I need to give a reason for reviving the K&N thread? Is that another no-no?

And why do I scare you so much that you feel the need to warn others? I provided my experience and backed it with facts. It seems that those are worthwhile contributions to a tech forum.
post #63 of 86 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 8:40 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Anyone regret making the switch to EFI? OR
Anyone regret posting in the thread "Anyone regret making the switch to EFI?"

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.

post #64 of 86 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 8:57 AM
Tech Team
Tj

I thought it was a pretty decent thread till it went sideways. People were making lots of good points that are likely pretty useful to people considering the swap.
BB68 and oleskoolchev like this.

Sorry no Chevelle, 73 Cadillac Eldorado - Fairly stock low comp 500cid.
FiTech Go4 600 - Timing control via gutted 7 pin large cap HEI - Fuel RobbMc Powersurge with returns.
Previous system was Megasquirt w/Holley TBI so I am not new to DIY EFI
post #65 of 86 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 9:37 AM
Senior Tech Team
Justin

Garage
Yeah, I do. This guy pretty much took this one down. Good info here for EFI and carbs. And guys on the fence about making the jump or staying with a carb. Both are fun.

My thing is, I think once you just dive into efi many begin to enjoy it. Yes it is a learning curve and can be intimidating but so can tuning a carburetor. I’m not one of those “car” guys that is satisfied by a mediocre running car. Even when I had my edelbrock and Holley carbs I was always tuning on them to make them run the best they could. Then I got the efi and I still am doing my own tuning on the software. It’s just fun for me learning new things and exploring the world of EFI. Carburetors are great too, I think as long as you are enjoying the car and understand how it works then it’s okay.
123pugsy likes this.

1974 chevelle with 73 laguna nose sbc 357 Brodix IK180 heads Comp Cams XE274H Edelbrock RPM airgap 650 AED double pumper, M20 muncie, Truetrac with 3.73s
post #66 of 86 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 9:47 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Eldo View Post
I thought it was a pretty decent thread till it went sideways. People were making lots of good points that are likely pretty useful to people considering the swap.
Agreed, me on both sides...
Again to sum up my personal experience. I am waffling on indifference. I don't regret it, I am quite happy with it, but I didn't need to do it, I just plain wanted to, plus my goal includes the timing control, and automatic idle with A/C which I haven't finished totally, so my regret level will go down even more, with no additional money spent.
If starting from scratch, on a non-restoration, I would almost definitely do it again. The conversion/addition of pressurized fuel system is the biggest part of the job, and it can be extremely expensive. Personally, I did it cheap, and could have saved maybe $75-$100 more if I just re-used the fuel pump in the Roadmaster wagon tank I got, so my total would have been close to $1050-$1075. And I used basically 100% factory style replacement parts everywhere including fuel line and GM style Quick-Disconnect fittings and line.
If I had a bigger budget, I would love a knock sensor input on timing, and maybe even a port system with wideband on both sides.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #67 of 86 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 10:23 AM
Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF74chevelle View Post
Yeah, I do. This guy pretty much took this one down.
Are you talking about me?

This post "took this one down". "Great decision. Adding one of these would be a nice upgrade for you. https://www.knfilters.com/eci"

Really?
post #68 of 86 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 12:43 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Are you talking about me?

This post "took this one down". "Great decision. Adding one of these would be a nice upgrade for you. https://www.knfilters.com/eci"

Really?
I will say that is a valuable post, but I would not say the K and N system is a valuable system.
post #69 of 86 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 1:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Pat

Did not mean start anything guys with this thread was just looking for some input on EFI. Once again I thank those that weighed in and gave me tons on valuable input.
post #70 of 86 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 1:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

Quote:
Great decision. Adding one of these would be a nice upgrade for you. https://www.knfilters.com/eci
The $500 carb spacer guy is back, lol.
123pugsy and tacomatrd like this.

1967 Chevelle Malibu 4 door

http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r...ton/?start=all

The 7.99 at 173mph pass:

https://youtu.be/SIF0dosu-7s

8.02 at 171mph:

https://youtu.be/hH3PS_TrHOc
post #71 of 86 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 1:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

EFI has a learning curve, but no regrets going with it. Ask me once I have the 174 supercharger installed and running. I will be on a new learning curve with boost and this type of EFI.

78 Malibu, 402, th350, holley sniper EFI, 9" 3:70, Hoosier 26X8.50-15 slicks.
69 VW baja 1600cc.
96 chevy 1500, tow vehicle.
03 yz85 fun bike.
post #72 of 86 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 2:04 PM
Senior Tech Team
Justin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebchevelle View Post
EFI has a learning curve, but no regrets going with it. Ask me once I have the 174 supercharger installed and running. I will be on a new learning curve with boost and this type of EFI.
What efi system are you running? I like seeing them with the super chargers it’s neat.

1974 chevelle with 73 laguna nose sbc 357 Brodix IK180 heads Comp Cams XE274H Edelbrock RPM airgap 650 AED double pumper, M20 muncie, Truetrac with 3.73s
post #73 of 86 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 2:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF74chevelle View Post
What efi system are you running? I like seeing them with the super chargers itís neat.
Holley sniper I have the original so had to make the changes they did to run it with a roots type of blower. All I had to do is drill out the hole in the front and tap both holes the one in front and in bottom for a 6/32 set screw. The new ones come with this modification all ready done you just unscrew the plug from the front and put it in the bottom.

78 Malibu, 402, th350, holley sniper EFI, 9" 3:70, Hoosier 26X8.50-15 slicks.
69 VW baja 1600cc.
96 chevy 1500, tow vehicle.
03 yz85 fun bike.
post #74 of 86 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 5:07 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculated Risk View Post
The $500 carb spacer guy is back, lol.
Another stalker.
post #75 of 86 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 7:30 PM
Clint

Stay on topic or this thread will be locked.
123pugsy and lovebohn like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in