Electromagnetic/RF interference and Sniper - Chevelle Tech
EFI Caution: Beyond here be monsters...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 19, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Electromagnetic/RF interference and Sniper

Iíve had my Sniper in for a couple weeks and The car has been running very poorly...backfiring, stumbling. the data on the handheld during these 1-2 second episodes reads ďno dataĒ or goes black. My (Holley certified) installer, after a long convo with Holley engineering have decided itís electromagnetic interference. Plan is to change my Taylor spark plug wires to a Holley Street Fire set for now. Per Holley, Taylorís are notorious for causing interference. Next up would be moving the ignition coil. Anybody else have issues like this too? I havenít read a lot about RF/EMI as the source of poor performance on this forum, so I figured Iíd throw it out there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D8A8A3E5-D7A2-438B-B61E-249FE35FEE11.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	591840   Click image for larger version

Name:	2493ED1D-6989-4847-8AFC-B7CD6029577B.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	591842  

Restomodded 1970 Chevelle SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 12:03 AM
Senior Tech Team
Justin

Garage
I don’t have an RF issue with my sniper but I’d suggest using the super conductor wires rather than the street fire wires. And I’d move the coil away. Are you running timing control? Take a datalog and have the tech review it, that’ll show if it is a RF problem or not.

1974 chevelle with 73 laguna nose sbc 357 Brodix IK180 heads Comp Cams XE274H Edelbrock RPM airgap 650 AED double pumper, M20 muncie, Truetrac with 3.73s
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 5:40 PM
Senior Tech Team
Andrew

Re: Electromagnetic/RF interference and Sniper

I just went through Holley Tier 1-3 training. I would also consider adding a ground strap to the air filter base. Also make sure you have good (use star washers and bare metal) grounds from the block to the body.

Andrew

1970 GTO Version 2.0
1967 Cougar LSx build
My YouTube Channel
Instagram @projectgattago

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets."

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 8:12 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Run good grounds to each head, manifold, block and frame
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 11:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

You can also run twisted wire shielded cable for power and signal wiring and ground the shield only on the power source end.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 19, 12:32 AM
Tech Team
Tj

Is this a real big problem with Snipers or is it just something about this one setup? Doesn't seem like I have read about this being an issue before. Noise in the tach signal sure but everywhere else kinda seems like there has to be an issue in this car other than the sniper.

Sorry no Chevelle, 73 Cadillac Eldorado - Fairly stock low comp 500cid.
FiTech Go4 600 - Timing control via gutted 7 pin large cap HEI - Fuel RobbMc Powersurge with returns.
Previous system was Megasquirt w/Holley TBI so I am not new to DIY EFI
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 19, 6:46 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jimmy

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 19, 8:03 AM
Joel

I had some EMI with my Super sniper as well. Its very susceptible to picking up EMI/RFI. I ended up moving all the sniper connectors and wires as far away from I could from the plug wires. I also got under the header plug wires and routed them out behind the engine and down to keep everything as far away as possible. It looks like you have some sniper wires actually touching the plug wires on the passenger side there. That maybe your issue (along with the coil location).

On my setup, the WBO2 wire was too close to the plug wire causing stalling issues. Once I move the plug wires as far away from it as I could the issue went away. Also, I think you said you were going to do this, but definitely get that coil out of there as that is not helping. As the others have mentioned make sure you have good grounds as well. Good luck!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 19, 8:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF74chevelle View Post
I donít have an RF issue with my sniper but Iíd suggest using the super conductor wires rather than the street fire wires. And Iíd move the coil away. Are you running timing control? Take a datalog and have the tech review it, thatíll show if it is a RF problem or not.
The coilís getting moved away next week, when I take the car back to the shop. Timing is controlled via the Holley and a dual sync distributor. Datalogs are suggestive of RFI. Iíll try to include a short video of what the handheld looks like during these episodes. Basically, itís glitching...reads ďno dataĒ during the roughness.

https://youtu.be/3kt9h_4wzYQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
I just went through Holley Tier 1-3 training. I would also consider adding a ground strap to the air filter base. Also make sure you have good (use star washers and bare metal) grounds from the block to the body.

Andrew
I ran the car without the snorkel air cleaner and the car ran great! Itís getting grounded too, next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Eldo View Post
Is this a real big problem with Snipers or is it just something about this one setup? Doesn't seem like I have read about this being an issue before. Noise in the tach signal sure but everywhere else kinda seems like there has to be an issue in this car other than the sniper.
My installer was talking to Holley engineers and they admitted itís a problem in about 5% of their installs.

Restomodded 1970 Chevelle SS
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 19, 6:17 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

All those wire running back by the distributor and plug wires are an issue.

1967 Chevelle Malibu 4 door

http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r...ton/?start=all

The 7.99 at 173mph pass:

https://youtu.be/SIF0dosu-7s

8.02 at 171mph:

https://youtu.be/hH3PS_TrHOc
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 19, 8:11 AM
Senior Tech Team

Granatelli Motorsports makes a zero Ohm wire core spark plug wire. They slip an inductive ring on one end that quashes EMI. I've used them on many cars without issue, including the Monte with eight coils and Fitech fuel injection. I didn't do anything to separate wiring or do any special shielding. No EMI issues. They're great wires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coils.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	592130  

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 19, 8:25 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Im running Taylor 8.2 Thundervolts on my 454/sniper setup.No rfi.
Im not using sniper to control timing,just using it as a "carb" and everything's been good from the getgo.
Also using a pertronix flamethrower distributor.I did try to run the wires away from as much as possible on install(nearly impossible),lol.
Are your power and ground lines their own line,directly to the battery?
Also,holley recommends if you have to run past other wires,to cross them at a 90* to minimize RFI.

GenVI 454,Autogear M-22W,Moser 12 w/3.42s

'67 Malibu,468 w/TH400

Project-
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/142-...esto-67-a.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in