EFI (FITECH or Sniper) Success Stories? - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
EFI Caution: Beyond here be monsters...

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 18, 8:41 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: EFI (FITECH or Sniper) Success Stories?

I have had more than a few people that use my EFI conversion ignition systems change from systems FAST, FiTech, and go directly to HOLLEY. EVERY one of them got better results, and quicker resolution in setup, operation, and all of them that had asked questions of their system manufracture4r's techs, said the same, Holley is far superior to all the Keystone Kops on the other tech lines.

Me, I am biased, I worked for Holley years ago, drag race carbs, and I know those Holley techs, there are none better.
rel3rd and paul bell like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 18, 5:15 AM
Tech Team
Doug

I installed Holley Sniper EFI. They support all NASCAR and NHRA Pro Stock so the engineering base and field experience should be better/best. I loved the install in my 66 300 Deluxe so well that I installed it on my 66 C10. The EFI side is - simply put - easy. Five wires: Batt pos.; batt neg; tach; fuel pump; switched ignition. That's it. Bolt it on and modify the throttle to fit.

Most important wire is the switched ignition. It MUST be switched and 12v in the CRANK position as well as the RUN. All EFI systems are similar. Use the "IGNITION" source at the panel and check with a test light to be sure.

As I said, the easy part is the EFI install. The fuel delivery and return is the time consumer. Use a submerged pump for cooling. This might require a new tank. Some have used an external pump, but they get hot and can fail. I used my 3/8" stock hard line fuel feed for the return-to-tank and it's on the passenger side of the car which is perfect. I would not use a fuel kit offered by the usual vendors. They will supply non-SAE rated hose. Buy a 25 ft. coil of 3/8" steel is much cheaper including the necessary transition fittings. I'm in the process of converting both cars now to steel with much shorter hose lines. Installing a shut off at the tank as well. Never know when you need to get to the tank in the future.

Another modification that was a surprise is the throttle arm. Why Holley decided to change the leverage geometry is beyond me. They shortened it 1" and you'll experience a "breakaway" throttle that is uncontrollable if using a throttle rod, not a cable. Stupid as they advertise the EFI as a carb replacement. Then why didn't they use their carb lever system that's been around for decades! You'll have to buy a throttle arm extension to make a throttle rod work on the Sniper. FITECH is better and does not have the problem - throttle arm is same as a carburetor. You will probably need an air cleaner spacer to clear the throttle arm in both cases.

Programming is a breeze. I've gone over the FITech as well and Sniper seems to be a bit more user friendly, but not a big deal. A few minutes and you're on the road.

You really can't go wrong with both. Save some money with FITech. Support with Sniper. As with all support techs, it depends on who you get on the line. Sniper is the same. I would call FITech support to see how long you wait, etc.

I'm sorry I waited so long to install, but the current systems are much easier and less programming.
Good luck.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 18, 5:22 AM
Tech Team
Doug

To continue...
Don't use a 5/16" line for supply or return. It builds too much pressure on the return and not enough fuel on the supply side possibly. 3/8" is best.
Holley supplies a throttle arm extension and available everywhere...Summit, Jegs, etc. About $30. You do NOT need a throttle return spring as there is one on the primary and secondary shafts.

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 18, 5:38 AM
Tech Team
Doug

You do not need an adapter with the Sniper. There is a mounting hole on the throttle arm that gives you the right geometry for the 700R4 or 200-4R.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 18, 5:50 AM
Tech Team
Doug

Fuel hose...
The Russell supplied hose from Tanks is not SAE rated, but NHRA approved?! I called and was confirmed by Edelbrock who owns Russell. Tech said he would have someone from Russell call back. Hurry up and wait. SAE rating should be J30R9 for pressure. The '9' is the important rating as permeability is reduced from the non-SAE hose. That is why I'm converting to hard line. Buy just what you need in transition hose from your local auto store.

Oh yeah. The Twist Lok hose fittings are a bitch to install by hand. I clamped the hose in a flaring vise in the 1/2" opening. Put that in your bench vise and an Irwin bar clamp will schmooze the fitting into the hose. Use some slick'em of course. Let me know and I'll send you some photos. The tool from Speedway will break on the first try. Plastic. The others are $250.
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 18, 9:24 AM
Senior Tech Team
Kevin

I might as well chime in on EFI. I don't have FITech or Sniper but having used carbs for a long time and then switching to EFI, I wouldn't go back. MY first EFI was an AEM system which requires a dyno and someone proficient in laptop EFI tuning. The new self learning systems are pretty damn good at doing what they were designed to do. I jumped in way back when with a FAST Gen 1 TBI system. The only complaint I had was fuel distribution. I switched to a MPFI system and after playing with the AF ratios, drivability and throttle response was much better. The wiring as stated above, is critical. Good grounds and solid power connections if not done correctly, will cause all kinds of headaches (read and follow the instructions supplied with your EFI kit). The fuel system probably took the longest to get right. I started out with the FAST external pump but quickly found an in tank setup was better (as was used with the AEM system). Rick's was too expensive so I bought a new tank and added a Aeromotive Phantom 340 in tank pump with -8AN feed lines and 3/8" hard line return (formerly the carb feed line). In areas where flex line was required I used either braided SS or Aeroquip Push-lok hose. The junk Fragola line supplied by FAST with their "Fuel System" sucks. It has been on my car for 8 years and thousands of miles and have never had an issue.

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space" - Jim Whittaker

Ermine White/Red 1967 Chevelle Malibu
Forged Mike Lewis 383 rotating assembly
AFR Eliminator 195's
Lunati Voodoo 60122 roller cam
Inglese 50mm 8 stack injection
FAST XFI Street
SC&C Stage II Plus suspension
Hotchkis/Hellwig sway bars
Tremec TKO 600
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 18, 11:44 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 elky 455 pontiac View Post
Can you post photos of where you used the nylon fuel line. I have been considering going this route. After all, OEM are using nylon on millions of cars now and have been for some time.
I used nylon for 100% of it other than the metal fittings. I used GM quick connect fittings everywhere except on the FiTech unit itself, and that is the one that I don't feel as good about of all of them. I used 3/8 line everywhere with either 3/8, or 5/16 fittings to quick connect to the 3 fuel pump fittings, and the 3 fittings on the pressure regulator filter.
Most info is here
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/89-...zz4-700r4.html
This fitting from Napa is the one oddball that I had to use on the filter out port. The nylon line fits perfect, and I used the crimp on steel clamps after.

One other thing, using nylon line and putting the fittings in, is a PITA. Look on YouTube, the correct tool must be real nice, but I'm cheap... DON'T use heat, heat gun, boiling water...
Use something to clamp the line and hold it, silicone spray, and a socket over the fitting to hold it, and tap it in. I made plastic v-blocks for the jaws of my vise that worked.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 18, 8:12 AM
Tech Team
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevelleFan70 View Post
My only gripe with the Sniper is the throttle stiffness, which has been covered in another thread here. The little extension that r3lerd showed looks like an easy fix that I haven't gotten around to yet. (but why did Holley screw this up??)

-Dave
I'm going to retract my comment on throttle stiffness -- I finally got around to working on it yesterday and forgot I had added an additional return spring! I removed it and the throttle stiffness is totally gone and feels fine to me. Not sure why I did that in the first place..

-Dave

'70 Chevelle ZZ383/700r4/3.73, [email protected] -- MS3X efi / Hotchkis A-arms & Springs / B-body 12" brakes / 1.25" F-body swaybar / UMI rears & swaybar / JGC PwrStrUpg
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 18, 4:11 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by faded67 View Post
Hi TC,

I have been on the fence for a long time with converting from carb to EFI. I have read all the install, tips and tricks, and issues threads from those who have made the jump. I know my carb is not perfect and sometimes just a PITA. I was looking at TB EFI as a panacea for all my carb woes. Reading through these threads has made me a bit paranoid about aftermarket EFI. So far it seems like if the EFI system has an issue your stuck on the side of the road, and depending on the issue may need to send back the unit for repair. At least with the carb, you can usually find a way to sputter back home and take it apart.

I know for the most part people post for assistance on forums, so we are seeing more issues than anything else. I read about how well the system is running, then a month later there are issues. Would be nice to see a bit more long term positive feedback. Does anyone have a success story where there has been no issues or breakdowns to share? Preferably an install that's been working for a long time with some mileage?

PS: I know nothing is perfect, particularly with these 50 year old vehicles. I do my research to "help" myself, but damn its like looking up some health symptoms on WebMD..everything leads to cancer lol!

Thanks,

Rock
Rock,

We just made the jump from a Holley double pumper to a FiTech EFI. My son daily drives his 67 Chevelle to college, so we had to find a way to make his car dependable. Currently he commutes to the local campus, but next year he will move to the main campus, so I can't have him calling me every weekend with some new issue. We decided to go all the way. We bought a brand new stock 350 small block from Radley Chevrolet on Ebay, a FiTech Fuel Injection System (400HP and below), the retrofit fuel pump kit from FiTech, and a new EFI gas tank and fuel sending unit from tanks inc. The gas tank was very impressive! It has baffles built into it, and it is powder coated chrome! Everything was very easy to install. The trickiest part for us was finding a proper wire for what FiTech labels the "Key" wire. It requires 10 volts while cranking, and we ended up connecting it to the HEI Distributor wire which should be getting a full 12 volts during cranking. My son currently has 100 miles on the car since the install, so we are still in the break in period. Here's what I can say about the system right now. The car runs amazing! It starts like a new car! It is extremely responsive and has much more power than what we expected out of a stock 190HP 350 Small block. They say you can 260 HP out of the motor with an intake and headers, which we do have, but I would venture to say the fuel injection system has added some more horse power to it. We did end up replacing the cheap electric fans on my son's car, because it was running hotter with the EFI. I guess because it is running so much more efficiently, that it is creating more heat. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong about that. We replaced the fans and we are running around 190 degrees again. He is definitely getting better gas milage and we are going to start tracking it. We filled it up the other day and we annotated the current milage, so we should be able to report back on that soon. Again, he daily drives it. he runs 93 octane from the pump, and winter is coming, so we will see how she does in the snow. I hope this helps, and if you have any questions, we would be glad to try to answer them.

camaro-guy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2891.JPG.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	575270   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2897.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	575272   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E2864.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	575274  
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 18, 4:19 PM
Tech Team
Doug

Holley makes a throttle arm extension part no. 20-14. You'll need it if you don't have a cable throttle. Summit, Jegs, etc.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 18, 4:22 PM
Tech Team
Doug

Get Holley P/N 20-14. Fixes the stupid engineers redesign that shortened the arm! You should not run a counter spring. I can't believe Holley did something SO STUPID. if I had known, I would have bought FiTech.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 18, 10:08 AM
Tech Team
Tj

I think I'm on my 3rd summer now with FiTech. No real issues related to the FiTech system itself. Never been stranded. I had previous EFI experience so I was likely better positioned to have a successful install than some others. I have had a little hands on with the current Holley stuff and read a lot about them here. Seems like both companies and systems have their pros and cons.
faded67 likes this.

Sorry no Chevelle, 73 Cadillac Eldorado - Fairly stock low comp 500cid.
FiTech Go4 600 - Timing control via gutted 7 pin large cap HEI - Fuel RobbMc Powersurge with returns.
Previous system was Megasquirt w/Holley TBI so I am not new to DIY EFI
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 18, 8:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

well till I tor my car down to do some work on it mine ran fine all last year. Had to add some pump shot because of the adapter from 4150-4500 was so large acted like a mini tunnel ram lol. other then that it ran great. Hd a few issuses setting up timing control but that is because I used the GM replacement dist by cardone but all in all would do it again and gonna lol since I removed the current intake and sold it to finance rebearing the super charger and getting it installed. That will be a nother learning experiance all together as this system was not designed with roots blower in mind but with a blow thru application. wish me luck.

78 Malibu, 402, eddy heads, 174 B&M blower, th350, holley sniper EFI, 9" 3:70, 26X8.50-15 slicks.
69 VW baja 1679cc. stick shift toy.
96 chevy 1500, tow vehicle.
03 yz85 fun bike.
04 scion XB daily driver.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 18, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rocky

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro-guy View Post
Rock,

We just made the jump from a Holley double pumper to a FiTech EFI. My son daily drives his 67 Chevelle to college, so we had to find a way to make his car dependable. Currently he commutes to the local campus, but next year he will move to the main campus, so I can't have him calling me every weekend with some new issue. We decided to go all the way. We bought a brand new stock 350 small block from Radley Chevrolet on Ebay, a FiTech Fuel Injection System (400HP and below), the retrofit fuel pump kit from FiTech, and a new EFI gas tank and fuel sending unit from tanks inc. The gas tank was very impressive! It has baffles built into it, and it is powder coated chrome! Everything was very easy to install. The trickiest part for us was finding a proper wire for what FiTech labels the "Key" wire. It requires 10 volts while cranking, and we ended up connecting it to the HEI Distributor wire which should be getting a full 12 volts during cranking. My son currently has 100 miles on the car since the install, so we are still in the break in period. Here's what I can say about the system right now. The car runs amazing! It starts like a new car! It is extremely responsive and has much more power than what we expected out of a stock 190HP 350 Small block. They say you can 260 HP out of the motor with an intake and headers, which we do have, but I would venture to say the fuel injection system has added some more horse power to it. We did end up replacing the cheap electric fans on my son's car, because it was running hotter with the EFI. I guess because it is running so much more efficiently, that it is creating more heat. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong about that. We replaced the fans and we are running around 190 degrees again. He is definitely getting better gas milage and we are going to start tracking it. We filled it up the other day and we annotated the current milage, so we should be able to report back on that soon. Again, he daily drives it. he runs 93 octane from the pump, and winter is coming, so we will see how she does in the snow. I hope this helps, and if you have any questions, we would be glad to try to answer them.

camaro-guy
Camaro-guy,

Thank you for the response and congrats on a trouble-free install. Sounds like there were no negatives experienced!
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 18, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rocky

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebchevelle View Post
well till I tor my car down to do some work on it mine ran fine all last year. Had to add some pump shot because of the adapter from 4150-4500 was so large acted like a mini tunnel ram lol. other then that it ran great. Hd a few issuses setting up timing control but that is because I used the GM replacement dist by cardone but all in all would do it again and gonna lol since I removed the current intake and sold it to finance rebearing the super charger and getting it installed. That will be a nother learning experiance all together as this system was not designed with roots blower in mind but with a blow thru application. wish me luck.

Jebchevelle, thanks for your feedback! Good Luck with the SC!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 484 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.