Any reported Holley EFI related engine fires - Chevelle Tech
EFI Caution: Beyond here be monsters...

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 18, 9:16 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Any reported Holley EFI related engine fires

On a FB Chevelle page, the claim was made that a Holley Sniper EFI was the cause of a massive engine fire that destroyed this guys car.

When I pressed for more details the owner stated he, and others, believe a stuck injector was the culprit. He had discussed the incident with many at this years Good Guys show and ďeveryoneĒ was in agreement.

For the life of me I canít wrap my head around how a stuck injector would cause such massive damage. According to the owner, the vehicle was running fine prior with no display anomalies. He went to start it, and she would not fire up. He turned the key off then back on, checked the display, all was normal. When he went to crank the engine, flames went up the firewall, came up around the car, and inside because the windows were open. Too me, that sounds like a massive fuel leak, most likely supply line, that was ignited by a spark, not a stuck injector.

The photo he attached shows massive fire damage to the rear half of his engine. The front half was unscathed. The firewall is toast, distributor cap melted completely off and no rubber or plastic items on the back half of the engine survived.

The owner routed his supply and return line up the rear of the engine and used push lock AN fittings. They were not stainless braid since the hose melted off the inlet at the passenger side rear of the throttle body.

I do have a picture that he posted but Iím not sure of the rules about posting photos off another site that are not mine.

The owner is blaming Holleyand bashing their EFI. Iím having a tough time wrapping my head around how a stuck injector is the cause here. To me it sounds like a massive external fuel leak.

Are there any reports of EFI related engine fires?

Joe

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
Soon to be a 427 equipped Tahoe Turquoise head turner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 18, 9:36 AM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Any reported Holley EFI related engine fires

Without knowing more info, a non-start could be caused by low fuel pressure, which could be caused by a fuel leak.

Perhaps he had this fuel leak from the lines at the rear of the block and it hit the distributor.

A stuck injector would cause other problems but not an external fire while trying to start the engine.

Yes, please post pics.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 18, 9:55 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Here the photo he posted to the other site.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	857E9E5B-936A-4BEE-9902-77E3BE1ACDAC.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	570064  

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 18, 10:06 AM
Senior Tech Team

Yeah, no way a stuck injector caused an external fire right where the fuel lines are.

HE SAYS everybody "was in agreement" with his assessment. Sure.
Kopfjaeger likes this.

How may I help you?
1999 Trans Am-500hp
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 18, 10:53 AM
Tech Team
Tj

Isn't the most catastrophic damage from a stuck injector usually hydrolock?

Sniper injector is below the throttle blades right? So say injector is stuck and squirting fuel, throttle blades are going to direct it into the intake. Same thing happens with a stuck float in a carb and electric fuel pumps and I have heard of fires but they were not from a startup they were after stalling.

So the fuel somehow came out of the top of the throttle body? Air cleaners are pretty good at slowing down fire and the top of the TB doesn't look especially burnt so was the air cleaner not on at the time?

If the fire came from the top of the TB why did he spread to the back? Engine running so the fan blew it? If the engine was running that usually has the effect of sucking in the flames?

I don't know but based on the little info given in this thread if the fuel lines were at the back that sure fits a lot better than a stuck injector.
rel3rd and Kopfjaeger like this.

Sorry no Chevelle, 73 Cadillac Eldorado - Fairly stock low comp 500cid.
FiTech Go4 600 - Timing control via gutted 7 pin large cap HEI - Fuel RobbMc Powersurge with returns.
Previous system was Megasquirt w/Holley TBI so I am not new to DIY EFI
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 18, 11:01 AM
Tech Team
Tj

And the other thing is I would assume the fuel pump shuts off as soon as its not seeing a tach signal? Seems like with that much burning the fuel pump had to keep running for a bit?

Sorry no Chevelle, 73 Cadillac Eldorado - Fairly stock low comp 500cid.
FiTech Go4 600 - Timing control via gutted 7 pin large cap HEI - Fuel RobbMc Powersurge with returns.
Previous system was Megasquirt w/Holley TBI so I am not new to DIY EFI
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 18, 11:24 AM
Senior Tech Team
gary

As a retired GM tech I have seen stuck open injectors. None caused a fire.
Kopfjaeger likes this.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 18, 12:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Looks like a massive leak ran down the back of the engine and ignited. He was more than likely a victim of his own ignorance and in search to place blame on something else besides himself.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 18, 12:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Garage

I can tell you one thing for sure. When I get my car back on the road, Iím carrying a fire extinguisher for sure!

70 Chevelle, Vortecpro 496, TH400, Moser 12 bolt, custom Tom's Eaton posi, 3.73, UMI/Viking front suspension, PMT rear. Sniper efi, RobbMc PowerSurge.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 18, 1:57 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Paul,

Exactly what I said! I asked where his regulator was. I assumed he had it mounted to the evap. housing. He said the Sniper uses an internal regulator. I was under the impression you still needed a regulator before the TB.

Iím no arson investigator but it seems the hottest most intense flames was at the firewall and since he said.flames rolled up the firewall, around and in the vehicle, I told him it was consistant with a supply line failure. It kinda got ugly then.

Guys, thanks for clarifying what I suspected. The owner is full of crap and is blaming the EFI.

Oh, when I asked him to explain how a stuck injector sprayed fuel up out of the TB and onto the rear of his engine he said it backfired. 😂🤣😂

Joe
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 18, 4:39 PM
Senior Tech Team

These EFI systems will run the fuel pump during cranking. If cranking stops, the pump may still run for a few more seconds after crank sensor stops reporting crank rotation. In this case, it's the pickup in the distributor.

A fuel injector stuck open won't flow enough to even partially fill the cylinder in a single piston stroke to cause hydrolock. But it can still cause damage: The piston rings get washed down resulting in no oil on them and excessive cylinder wall wear AND the oil sump gets filled with fuel. More oil than fuel in the sump results in very low oil pressure-and of course wiped bearings, if it's run for a long time like this.

This guy screwed up the fuel lines. Curse, learn, move on.
rel3rd, Kopfjaeger and Schwany like this.

How may I help you?
1999 Trans Am-500hp
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 18, 5:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Garage

You donít need an external regulator unless your pump is putting out way more than the 60psi needed. In another words if it puts out so much pressure, it over powers the internal regulator.
Kopfjaeger likes this.

70 Chevelle, Vortecpro 496, TH400, Moser 12 bolt, custom Tom's Eaton posi, 3.73, UMI/Viking front suspension, PMT rear. Sniper efi, RobbMc PowerSurge.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 18, 5:17 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70CHEVELLE396 View Post
You donít need an external regulator unless your pump is putting out way more than the 60psi needed. In another words if it puts out so much pressure, it over powers the internal regulator.
I thought I had remembered the 66 SS 396 those two guys converted on You Tube mounted a regulator on the inner fender on their install. I donít remember what PSI their pump was putting out. Thanks
70CHEVELLE396 likes this.

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 18, 8:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kim

Garage

well, here's my take on this-
1- ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher
2- If you screw up your fuel lines and burn your nice ride up, OWN IT. Do not act out like a baby and blame anyone but yourself.
3- Before you open your mouth and blame a faulty injector, you had better have a real good understanding of the systems and parts thereof.
4- I'm in for the part out.
5- Did I mention a fire extinguisher?
427L88, davewho1 and 70CHEVELLE396 like this.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 18, 8:40 PM
Senior Tech Team

Hey Kim, Shelter Island?

How may I help you?
1999 Trans Am-500hp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in