EFI Caution: Beyond here be monsters...

87Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 242 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 18, 7:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage
Edelbrock EFI

Anyone know about these Pro Flo 3 systems? What do you guys think about this system vs the regular throttle body MPFI?

Edelbrock 3236: Pro-Flo 3 XT EFI System Big Block Chevy | JEGS
Schwany likes this.

64 Chevelle 496
64 F100 Street Rod with BBC /Chevy trapped in a ford body
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 242 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 18, 8:18 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Edelbrock EFI

I don't see how any of the Pro Flo 3 systems can be sequential fuel injection without a crank sensor. Unless it's actually batch fire or it's either in time with valve openings or 180 degrees out of time with them.

It takes a crank and cam sensor for the ECM to know what's where and when.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #3 of 242 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 18, 9:01 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

SEFI has been around since the mid eighty's. Way before they started using crank and cam sensors. SEFI was done thru the hall effect distributor. Distributor would have a different spacing for no 1 cyl and the rest would be by firing order. I am sure in todays tech they became more accurate then years ago. Mustang 5.0L has been SEFI since 1986 and they ran well and still do.
rel3rd likes this.

64 Chevelle 496
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 242 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 18, 9:08 PM
Senior Tech Team

Fair enough. I'd confirm that the Edelbrock system does what they say it will.
StevenS and rel3rd like this.

How may I help you?
1999 Trans Am-500hp
post #5 of 242 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 18, 10:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Seems like such a nice system for the price. Is it outdated in some way???

*69 SS 502 EFI /224* HR/9.8:1/T56/3.90/ 4000lbs RW 11.5/124mph
*96 Stang 6.0 turbo 10.5/135mph (9.13 ET w/E85 and 16psi) **SOLD**
*2011 Mustang GT premium
*61" Scag Kohler 22hp 7mph
post #6 of 242 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 18, 10:51 PM
Senior Tech Team

I do like it but I consider distributor ignition very old school. I prefer modern coil near plug systems, it's not even new technology anymore.

How may I help you?
1999 Trans Am-500hp
post #7 of 242 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 18, 11:46 PM
Tech Team
Byron

I’m interested in this system too. In the instructions there is a discussion about how to set the distributor. I think it has a missing tooth on the reluctor. As noted I’m pretty sure that’s how they get the sequential firing. The price dropped a while ago to more reasonable level. I couldn’t get near Edelbrock at Back to the 50’s last year. They were packed.

Their under hood high pressure reservoir looks nice but I think it would suffer the high heat problems that the others do. If I do this I’ll get a new tank and the Walbro pump kit. I’d do new fuel lines too. No point in messing with a 40 year old tank. I’m surprised it hasn’t had problems already.

Byron

41 Willys 6-71 blown sbc, 2x 750 dp. Sold but not forgotten

'77 el Camino SS 300hp/350 crate motor Quadrajet

94 Buick RoadMaster Estate station wagon. LT1, 4L60e. 3.08 gears

99 Dodge Ram 3500 dually Cummins 5spd, 4.10
410k miles 20 mpg.
post #8 of 242 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 18, 1:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Thanks for starting a separate thread about the Pro-Flo 3 Steve. Now this breakthrough in price can get the attention it deserves.

I would have bought this at the current price when I bought the FiTech GoPort.

I'm no expert, but believe that the tunnel intake is a better solution for a street car than a 4 hole throttle body in the middle of the intake. The intake runners in the tunnel are all of equal length and nearly straight down. Every cylinder should in theory get the same flow numbers in and out. That said, I make stuff up that might only be factual between my ears.

The negatives are no power adder support, unless that has been added recently to the ECU firmware, fewer user tuning features, and the loss of the nostalgic look of an air cleaner on top of old school intake. None of those things would stop me, cuz I don't need to go 200 MPH in a quarter mile on the street, and could live without the nostalgic look.

'65 Chev El Camino
350/400+HP, 700R4
Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 MPFI
Global West, QA1, Viking, Wilwood, UMI, ProForged
'68 P-11 Norton
post #9 of 242 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 18, 4:23 PM
Tech Team

For that price, I would be all over it again.
Mine was 2600 to the door about a year ago now I guess.

It works great.
rel3rd likes this.
post #10 of 242 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 18, 4:29 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwany View Post
Thanks for starting a separate thread about the Pro-Flo 3 Steve. Now this breakthrough in price can get the attention it deserves.

I would have bought this at the current price when I bought the FiTech GoPort.

I'm no expert, but believe that the tunnel intake is a better solution for a street car than a 4 hole throttle body in the middle of the intake. The intake runners in the tunnel are all of equal length and nearly straight down. Every cylinder should in theory get the same flow numbers in and out. That said, I make stuff up that might only be factual between my ears.

The negatives are no power adder support, unless that has been added recently to the ECU firmware, fewer user tuning features, and the loss of the nostalgic look of an air cleaner on top of old school intake. None of those things would stop me, cuz I don't need to go 200 MPH in a quarter mile on the street, and could live without the nostalgic look.
Pretty much hit the nail on the head. I haven't had to touch mine at all. The problems I have had have been due to spark plug wires melting(they are 4 years old now so they need replaced anyway). Since I have fixed all that, I haven't had a hiccup at all.
I really enjoy driving it and it makes enough power--mind you it is all self learning--to run an 11.3 without much learning time(about 100 miles).
It was missing at the track due to spark plug issues and having wayyy to much timing. Fuel pressure stays steady with the 400lph pump and it works great with how large of a cam I have.
StevenS likes this.
post #11 of 242 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 18, 8:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

Going to download the software and see what it can do.

How do you guys think low end torque would be like with this intake vs the one I use now. I have the rpm airgap.

64 Chevelle 496
post #12 of 242 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 18, 9:57 PM
Tech Team
Byron

The “tuned port” version is a bit more cash, I think. Is it better? My guess without data to back me up is that Edelbrock recognizes the tuning effect of longer runners. To that end I would think they either modified single plane manifold to have equal flowing runners or made an entirely new manifold for the single plane system incorporating equal length runners. It also needed to fit under the hood of most cars with their throttle body. Cost and simplicity also entered into it I’m sure.

The “ tuned port” version removes some compromises and could provide low end torque improvement. How beneficial,is this going to be? Most of us use some kind of higher stall converters so tromping on the gas almost immediately puts the motor close to 3000 rpm so it’s already in almost peak torque so will probably not gain much more in the next couple seconds. Maybe not using a lot of throttle it would produce more torque per degree of throttle opening. IE make a more efficient motor at lower speeds, say pulling a trailer or big heavy car.

I may be way off base here but when someone says “more......something”. I’m interested in how much is more. In this case pulling numbers what if the gain is 10 lbs. ft. Pretty small if you have 300 available with the single plane. Now if it came out 50 lbs. ft. It would be significant.

So again just my thoughts.

As far as power adders, nitrous I know 0. About it. Supercharging, roots blower probably doesn’t apply, centrifugal and turbo is probably possible but not in the market price range.

So that leaves us with a real street system getting close to the late model jelly bean cars at an affordable price.

With this I’ll get off the soap box and pick up my sword and shield and be “en guarde”.
StevenS likes this.

410k miles 20 mpg.
post #13 of 242 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 18, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage
Cool Re: Edelbrock EFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwings View Post
The “tuned port” version is a bit more cash, I think. Is it better? My guess without data to back me up is that Edelbrock recognizes the tuning effect of longer runners. To that end I would think they either modified single plane manifold to have equal flowing runners or made an entirely new manifold for the single plane system incorporating equal length runners. It also needed to fit under the hood of most cars with their throttle body. Cost and simplicity also entered into it I’m sure.

The “ tuned port” version removes some compromises and could provide low end torque improvement. How beneficial,is this going to be? Most of us use some kind of higher stall converters so tromping on the gas almost immediately puts the motor close to 3000 rpm so it’s already in almost peak torque so will probably not gain much more in the next couple seconds. Maybe not using a lot of throttle it would produce more torque per degree of throttle opening. IE make a more efficient motor at lower speeds, say pulling a trailer or big heavy car.

I may be way off base here but when someone says “more......something”. I’m interested in how much is more. In this case pulling numbers what if the gain is 10 lbs. ft. Pretty small if you have 300 available with the single plane. Now if it came out 50 lbs. ft. It would be significant.

So again just my thoughts.

As far as power adders, nitrous I know 0. About it. Supercharging, roots blower probably doesn’t apply, centrifugal and turbo is probably possible but not in the market price range.

So that leaves us with a real street system getting close to the late model jelly bean cars at an affordable price.

With this I’ll get off the soap box and pick up my sword and shield and be “en guarde”.
My car makes 650 ft ibs at 3800 so nailing it is brutal with a 3500 stall converter. I like to feel a little more 0 to 1/2 throttle.
71350SS likes this.

64 Chevelle 496
post #14 of 242 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 18, 5:27 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

I have ordered the kit. They are selling fast. I beleive when stock is gone that will be it until the 4th version shows up.

64 Chevelle 496
post #15 of 242 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 18, 6:28 PM
Tech Team
Byron

Nice! We’ll await your report.

410k miles 20 mpg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in