Chevelle Tech - View Single Post - 66 zap from ignition switch after turning off
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 16, 2:16 PM
Jim Streib
Senior Tech Team

Re: 66 zap from ignition switch after turning off

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6cylcecil View Post
Thanks Jim the headlights are fine after connecting the dimmer switch, but I noticed I have no dash lights, and the dome light stays on all the time. It'll take some sorting out but I'm hoping it is not the headlight switch. Replacing it would've have been way easier when I had the dash out of the car.
I believe on the Chevelle's the headlight switch sends power out to an LPS fuse in the fuse block and from there it goes out to the instrument panel lights. This output for the dash lights is variable so you can dim or brighten the lights. Also too since the headlight switch dims the instrument panel lights through an arm wiping on a wrapping of wire, maybe try rotating the switch fully clockwise, then counterclockwise a bunch of times and maybe the connections will clean themselves some and things start working.

I agree with oldcutlass, check the rotation of the headlight switch. In the headlight switch there is a switch that connects to ground to turn on the dome light(s). For troubleshooting if it's not a rotation problem with the switch and then you would unplug the headlight switch and the issue goes away, then I would think it's an issue with the headlight switch. If the dome lights were to still be on, then either one or both of the door switches are not lifting the ground for the dome light or there is a short to ground on the ground side of the dome light circuit.

Jim

Always working on something:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome