Straub Technologies

1Likes
  • 1 Post By gnicholson

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 18, 6:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Javier

Camshaft for Twin turbos BBC

Hi Sir I got a BBC 496 with 10:5cr Ultrade Harold Billet SR custom build a cam with cast distributor gear for this motor it ran 11.4e/t and it is very streeteble with a 3500 converter .Can I run two small turbos with this compression using Straub billet custom cam ? Harolds cam from Custom Camshaft
110 LSA
max lift in/ex .675
288 /296 (.020)

Please need advice if I can still run two small turbos with this BBC 10:5 CR with one of your custom build camshafts ,please quote me a billet can with the cast distributor gear ,Block is a Mark IV old GM Tall deck block,Do I need to buy new pistons to lower CR ? or a good cam will help me keep the 10.5cr combo?
The car is a 4100Lbs El Camino , You can verify my old post there with anUDHarold my RIP friend desing one camshaft for my motor ,Thanks Harolds cam from Custom Camshaft
110 LSA
max lift in/ex .3970
288 /296 (.020)

71 GMC SPRINT
new 496, still tuning
1.56 60ft
116.8 mph
all steel car

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 18, 7:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

Re: Camshaft for Twin turbos BBC

Way to tight lsa you need around 116 or more. Also unless youre running race fuel thats to much compression. You really need to consult a turbo expert. Jones or straub may be able to suggest a cam
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 18, 8:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Allen

Maybe if you go e85 and keep the boost in check???

May want to consider piston material and where your ring gaps are, general thought process is that you need a wider gap with boost or nitrous. Just a thought.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 18, 9:03 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Javier

Yes I contacted Straub Technologies for a quote ,they respinde fast and send me the invoice quote I ask ,but I just want to know if with low boost 8 to 10psi and 10:5 cr wont kill my motor

71 GMC SPRINT
new 496, still tuning
1.56 60ft
116.8 mph
all steel car

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 18, 9:17 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Javier

we havent talk about cam numbers yet,they said just limit boost on pump gas nomproblem with race fuel, my brother want me to build a new LS motor wrh twins and leave the old rock untouched ,this turbo idea is confusing

71 GMC SPRINT
new 496, still tuning
1.56 60ft
116.8 mph
all steel car

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 18, 9:40 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

You could probably do it with water meth injection. I would talk to a turbo expert
Steve R likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 18, 10:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

hi Javier
welcome to the site;
you can find alot of good info on turbos at this site:
https://www.theturboforums.com/

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 18, 10:53 PM
T_R
Senior Tech Team
Tom

You need to change the cam. You could get away with 10.5 to 1 on race fuel or E85. But that's easy enough. The problem is turbos don't really exist for what you want to do. You can't put small turbos on a 500 inch motor for a little more power, it will just choke it and make no power. Properly sized turbos on an engine that large will make well over 1000 hp, so then you need to drivetrain, chassis and traction to go with it.

Tom

66 Chevelle crew cab 454 FiTech TKO 600 5 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 588 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.