Team Chevelle banner

Price Check on 70 SS Dash

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  TJP 
#1 ·
Ok.. my 70 came with the SS dash, 120 speedo, so on and so forth. I bought a repro, and well, I am very unhappy with it. The dash on my 70 was restored excellently by a local guy. He did the outlines and fixed some plastic issues that I could never tackle.
Couple years ago, I was dumb and bought a non-stock radio, back then I was thinking more pro-touring, not realizing my documented LS5 was something special.
The restoration aside, if I can find one, what should I be looking at price wise to pay for the dash? What to look out for?
It doesn't have to have the pad, doesn't need a radio (but needs stock radio holes), needs a glove box cover, non-AC car (not sure if they had different vents), just a generally ok dash. I'm talking the front part where the silver outlining goes, etc, over to the glove box. I get mixed up with terminology here.

Any help would be appreciated. I get angry every time I look at that blue radio with its micro-sized buttons (especially while I'm driving). The guy that installed the radio offered to hang it under the dash.. darn i was so much stupider 6 years ago..

matt

#2 ·
a original with all the guages for 70, which was really rough just sold for $710 on ebay. Your probably better to check with your friends and find one rather that looking to ebay. That's how I found mine!

#3 ·
I don't need the guages or anything, just the plastic dash shell.. I will look local on or TC classifieds, maybe call some used parts dealers, but just wondering what I should be expecting? so I can feel if I am getting a fair deal?

matt

#5 ·
I bought a dash from year one a while ago. It looks too shiny and some of the silver over spray was done a little carelessly. I've never had bad luck with year one, but my bet is it is the same company making them for ground up. I'm not saying I need a dash right now, but if I do find one, looking to know what I should expect the seller to be asking?

Thanks guys

#6 ·
I bought one this past Spring for $600. No significant damage. A few screw holes underneath. One 1/8" hole drilled in the face, but it was repairable. The lighter hole was a little deformed inside from heat. Radio control towers and bezel hole are perfect, however. No cracks. I got it from a guy who was parting out a '70 Elky SS.

I looked for several months before finding this one in Canada. Good ones are hard to come by!! Ebay prices get ridiculous for something worthwhile. You're better off spreading the word among those you know, IMO. Less likely to ripped on the dash quality and/or the price.

Good luck.

#7 ·
ps - Watch out for the Monte's being passed off as a Chevelle SS piece (No woodgrain). Also the infamous rectangular seat belt light next to the lighter hole that must have been on the '71's and 2's, I guess. Like so many things, it seems, '70's had their own version of an SS dash. '68-72 doesn't apply here.

#8 ·
In my opinion the repop dashes don't look too original. The flat areas leading upto the gauge holes have a slight roundness to them; I can spot them the second I see them.

Just keep looking on EBay for what you need, but don't worry about the paint issues, just make sure the radio towers are not cut. Also, if you see what appears to be holes that have been filled, then it was a monte carlo dash - the holes held the wood grain insert mounts - don't buy one of these. Don't worry about the vents, use your old ones or buy repops. Look for any cracks or anything your lucky enough to see in supplied pictures. If it has a seat belt light near lighter then it is the wrong year for you.

Around 400.00 is a fair price for a decent qaulity dash shell; I recently purchased one to replace my radio-cut dash - I paid 355.00. I simply need to repaint it; it had not been repainted prior. More than I wanted to pay but EBAY bidding frenzy bumps up the prices on these things.

One other thing I don't like about repop dashes, is that even those building clones using used original SS dashes are simply continuing the original number of GM SSs. But repop dashes add to the original number of GM SSs. But I guess they make up for those SS dashes crushed before we knew they were cool. Um, maybe I'm not accounting for GM replacement dashes either.

#9 ·
on the seat belt light its only a 72 dash that got them I think. If someone would make plugs to fill the holes in monte carlo dashes they would make a mint. Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.