Car lift recommendations - Chevelle Tech
Tools & Shops Shop Rat HQ

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 20, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Dan

Car lift recommendations

Looks like I will be i the market for a car lift shortly. Looking for pros & cons between a two poster and a four poster. Brands/features. I have had a two poster for a while w/ 7000lb lift capacity. A couple things I noticed with this one was it always seemed like lining up the car on the lift that it was difficult to get the door open to get out because of the two post style being in the center. 7000lbs seems to struggle with newer 1/2 ton pick-up truck weights at least I dont feel comfortable under it- then if you have running boards trying to hit the frame was not possible with my old one.

Maybe some brands are wider than others and some offer extensions. Then I was thinking 4 post but then if your pulling tires how does that work?

anyway looking for recommendations on what you got/seen that was reasonably priced and or had some useful design features that you liked.

Thanks
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 20, 12:56 AM
Tech Team

Re: Car lift recommendations

hi
Bend Pak 2 poster clearfloor [ twin upside down ram suitable for outside /wet environment ]
hoist arms same length
or
short and long arm combo

Options are
** low profile arms
** angled hoist uprights typically comes with short /long arm combo
**All/Both hoist combos can come in wide or narrow posts
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 20, 4:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Challenger lifts are good ones. Four post or two post depends on what you plan on doing with it. I would not get anything under 9000#

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming: "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 20, 5:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

I had a 7000.4 post in my garage when I lived on Long Island. Ceiling to low here in Florida. I went with a 4 post because my main reason was storage. I didn’t want to come home and have to get on my hands and knees to set lift. I had 2 jack trays that I used air bottlejacks to raise car to work on. Now they sell rolling jacks to raise wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D6CBE7ED-5A19-415E-8216-E4775F289422.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	633748   Click image for larger version

Name:	CC94635E-29CB-4387-AF47-AD994854B6B3.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	633750  

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 20, 9:10 AM Thread Starter
Dan

Good stuff appreciate the brand recommendations. Also did not know about the jack trays- looks like more options than I thought.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 20, 9:11 AM
Team Member
Roger

I have a 4 post 9K Quality lift and love it. There is one problem. The lift came when I had a 1500 pickup and it fit on the lift. Since I purchased a dually, it won't fit on the lift. But Quality, and probably other brands, offer a wide and long 4 post lift that will accommodate a dually. My buddy has one and we use it for any maintenance work on the duallies.
And the rolling jacks are worth the money. They offer a sliding tray which can hold a bottle jack or small floor jack. That helps when doing a 4 tire rotation. If you're doing a lot of 4 wheel work, buy 2 rolling jacks and you're set.
I've used 2 post before, but I don't feel totally safe under them. And when pulling a vehicle on to the 4 post, alignment is a breeze.
So I'd vote for a 4 poster. JMO
RAIDER SS likes this.

1972 El Camino SS (sold)
1981 Camaro Z28
2015 Silverado 3500 LTZ Duramax CC DRW
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 20, 9:41 PM Thread Starter
Dan

How easy is it to move a 4 post lift? I had never thought of the idea of leaving it unbolted and with jack trays it seems like it is more versatile. Also look at doing my own alignments....
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 20, 9:00 AM
Team Member
Roger

Moving is a breeze. My Quality has, I had to purchase them, 4 dolly wheels. You raise the lift, put the dolly wheel assemblies at each post, and lower the lift. When the lift goes down, the dolly wheels raise the lift posts off the floor and 1 person can push the lift anywhere the floor conditions will allow.
The dolly wheels are an extra cost option.

1972 El Camino SS (sold)
1981 Camaro Z28
2015 Silverado 3500 LTZ Duramax CC DRW
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 20, 10:31 AM
Tech Team
John

If I was only buying one lift, I'd definitely buy a quality 2 Post Lift 9,000 Lb. capacity minimum, unless you only have very small & light vehicles, which I have, but the 9,000 Lb lift affords you the opportunity to have larger vehicles on there as well.

A 4 Post lift is best used for "Storage"...yes, you can service vehicles on a 4 Post lift but it's not ideal. You can cram a whole bunch of cars into a tight space, if you have some ceiling height...a car enthusiasts dream! Keep the 2 Post lift for vehicle service.

My 2 Post Lift was made by Gemini (Texas), but sadly they went out of business fairly recently after a long run. American Automotive Equipment bought Gemini....American is a good company to work with....they are who I worked with when I bought my Gemini circa 2006. By the way, I had my lift painted black (powder coated)....not all company's offer different colors. Personally, I don't care for Blue.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 20, 11:34 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

I bought an Atlas lift from Greg Equipment sales. Picked it up at warehouse and had 2 friends put it together in the garage. It took about 3 hours to assemble. Cost was $2400 with the caster kit to move it if required. Still need to get the rolling jack, then it will be perfect.
I am primarily using for storage but it worked great for transmission work and new brake line installation.
My ceiling is 11 ft which I feel is probably the minimum height to have
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6C6C943B-50AD-4C0A-BC97-5D7DB1C63787_1595432039870.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	633856  

Team Chevelle Member (20 years and counting...
)

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 20, 11:55 AM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

I have an Atlas 9kOH 2-post, overhead-bar/clear-floor. Purchased in 2013 from Greg Smith Equipment. Had a few friends help me put it together. I love it! 2-post for doing involved work, 4-post for storage, oil-changes/light work.

The downside to the 2-post is getting in/out of the car, and setting the arms.

-Dave
blue_69_malibu and MarkP like this.

'70 Chevelle ZZ383/700r4/3.73, [email protected] -- MS3X efi / Hotchkis A-arms & Springs / B-body 12" brakes / 1.25" F-body swaybar / UMI rears & swaybar / JGC PwrStrUpg
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 20, 12:16 PM
Tech Team
Jim

I have a 9K BendPak that is extra wide and high. I use it to store the Chevelle on top and one of my Duramaxes under it. I have high ceiling in my garage and the extra height is good for me because I can walk under it without hitting my head and I'm 6'3". For a 4 post, it services my needs well. It lifts my Duramaxes for maintenance and I just rebuilt the Chevelles front end with the help of the tray and my air jack.

72 SS 402/4 speed/Straub roller and a bunch of Duramaxes.....
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 20, 3:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

I also have an Atlas four-post lift (9K Pro, Xtra Tall/Wide) and am happy with it. I bought a rolling jack to complement the jack tray and am able to do -4 wheel stuff as needed.

I've had my GMC diesel up (7700#) with no issues.

I originally was going to store the SS on top but since we are in earthquake country and I really doubt any anchor bolts would keep it upright in the event of 'the big one', I keep the Chevelle away. Harder to replace than my other toys...
71350SS likes this.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 20, 5:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67-468 View Post
I had a 7000.4 post in my garage when I lived on Long Island. Ceiling to low here in Florida. I went with a 4 post because my main reason was storage. I didn’t want to come home and have to get on my hands and knees to set lift. I had 2 jack trays that I used air bottlejacks to raise car to work on. Now they sell rolling jacks to raise wheels.
I have used a 4 post lift like this one with the rolling jacks underneath some 3/4 and 1 ton trucks and they're extremely stable if you know where to lift a truck.I actually would prefer this type of 4 post with the add-on bottle jacks on rollers over a 2 post lift for a truck.

For a Chevelle or any car really the 2 post is more versatile and can even be useful when working with a truck too.To protect the doors or anything that can bang up against the lift you can always glue insulation foam padding to the obvious bunking places.

But those rolling bottle jacks work great for lifting the car and working on a car wheels off if you have a 4 post lift.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 20, 8:17 AM
Tech Team
Mike

We have Mohawk lifts built here in my town, so most shops use them, and they're pretty good quality. The posts are canted at a pretty decent angle to alleviate the issue of getting in and out of the cars, and they come with extensions for the lift pads for trucks, etc..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in