New shop is too big? - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Tools & Shops Shop Rat HQ

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 20, 2:31 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

Re: New shop is too big?

My variance application was approved today, so the city is satisfied with what I want. Now it goes to the abstract firm for the legal notices and what not, then to the city council meeting for the airing of grievances by the neighbors on the 18 of next month. Iím good with the neighbors I know, probably wonít have any trouble.
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
lucifershammer and gmcarder2 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 20, 9:36 AM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
In my hometown, a residential property under 10,000 sq. ft can have 1000 sq ft of "outbuilding". A property greater than 10,000 sq. ft can have 1200 sq ft of "outbuilding". All "outbuildings" combined, so garage, gazebo, and crappy sheet-steel or plastic Home Depot "garden shed" all count toward the outbuilding limit. In addition to the "outbuilding" limit, there's also an "impermeable surface" limit: You have to have a certain amount of drainage available as a percentage of total square feet. So a gravel driveway is OK, a paver-block driveway might be, but a blacktop or concrete driveway may not be, depending on how much area it covers.
I tried to have a garage built at my old house. i didnt sit on a ton of land, but other people had put garages in years past. I ran into "impervious surfaces" and "storm water management" like you did. I was going to have to do the variance thing as well, and i was told i should take a lawyer, and an engineer to the hearing. The zoning officer told me "i think this would fly", meaning my proposal for my garage basically drawn out the best i could on a computer. I think the number was about $12,000. Thats what it was going to cost just to find out if i could build a garage. Oh, and in my area it couldnt be bigger than 400 sq ft. Numbers of $50,000 rolled around for what it would cost in the end to build it, if i could, with the variance, then the impervious surfaces, and stormwater management.....about half of the 50K was to be spent before the garage could even be built.

In the end, it was cheaper to move, so i did.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 20, 8:54 PM
Tech Team

Just went through something similar. Bought a new house. The house sits on 1 acre and I have a mortgage on it. The sale included the vacant 1 acre lot next door, outright for $1.00 The very original owners bought both acres, fenced it as one property and built the house on 1 of the acres (but put the well on the other acre! hence the second acre for a dollar. Sellers didn't want to dig a new well to be able to sell the second acre separately). I come along, wanting to build a good shop (30X50X12). Before I put the offer in to buy it I talked to the township supervisor, show him the plat map with a sketch of where & how big I wanted my shop on the vacant acre and he says no problem. I get everything lined up, ready to go, and go for my permit. Permit denied.... A garage is an accessory building. There is no PRIMARY structure on my second acre! Wound up going for a variance but only had to go before the Township board because it met all the zoning and setbacks except for a primary structure. They approved it but branded my property tile that nothing else can be done without a primary structure. Never hurts to ask.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 20, 8:23 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichG View Post
Just went through something similar. Bought a new house. The house sits on 1 acre and I have a mortgage on it. The sale included the vacant 1 acre lot next door, outright for $1.00 The very original owners bought both acres, fenced it as one property and built the house on 1 of the acres (but put the well on the other acre! hence the second acre for a dollar. Sellers didn't want to dig a new well to be able to sell the second acre separately). I come along, wanting to build a good shop (30X50X12). Before I put the offer in to buy it I talked to the township supervisor, show him the plat map with a sketch of where & how big I wanted my shop on the vacant acre and he says no problem. I get everything lined up, ready to go, and go for my permit. Permit denied.... A garage is an accessory building. There is no PRIMARY structure on my second acre! Wound up going for a variance but only had to go before the Township board because it met all the zoning and setbacks except for a primary structure. They approved it but branded my property tile that nothing else can be done without a primary structure. Never hurts to ask.
I’m surprised you got a loan on a property w/o a water source. Ordinarily, banks require one to combine the 2 lots. If so, you could have avoided the hassle of a variance. Combining also reduces property tax.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 20, 4:48 PM
Tech Team

I suspect what happened was the flippers figured it out, said nothing and sold it. The Bank didn't know that there was no well. When it was surveyed you could see the well head about 3 feet on the second lot. I'm just as happy to own the acre, that I could build a house on, outright.. no mortgage.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old May 21st, 20, 7:11 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

Update on this, my building permit was approved yesterday through the city council, milestone achieved. Will post some pics once I start construction.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old May 21st, 20, 9:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg

I went to build a 30x60 pole building for storage. I called the township, they have no rules.
I knew the township clerk and told her there has to be something, I don't want to start and then be told no.
called the county, they said ag or residential, what's the difference, ag needs no setback residential needs 7 feet.
Anything else I ask, nope. Building permit needed? You could if you feel the need to drive down here, I'm kinda busy, he said

71 Malibu
Asst Novas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in