2 Post Lift - Chevelle Tech
Tools & Shops Shop Rat HQ

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 7:38 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Kevin

2 Post Lift

I threw my shoulder out (again) creeping under a car (my brothers 68 Lemans Convertible) and I'm done dealing with the aches and pains of getting "older".

Ok, I need to hear from all of you with experience and my best options.

I've decided it's time to get a lift, and I've been looking at the BenPak Gran Prix series 7,000 pound 2 post lift that can fit in my 10' 4" garage height (which does not have a floor plate).

While I'm trying to closely watch my pennies (as I have my 67 Chevelle frame off restoration starting in a couple of months), I'd like to hear your thoughts and recommendations.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 10:50 PM
Tech Team

Re: 2 Post Lift

Hi
So it canbe called a clear floor/overhead hoist
Are the arms equal in length??
Are the arms low profile versions ??
Do the posts face each other or at an angle offset with both arms [when down] folding the same direction . ??

NB
Best to set up hoist as wide as possible [std / wide],allows more clearance for doors on a standard hoist . [posts facing each other]
Typically there is a standard height . Try to use that as a minimum
U can get screw in pads or slip fit . Both types have there pros and cons .

Use a can of hoist/wire rope spray lube [CRC] 1 x can to lube once a year .
Also lube Teflon slides for lift carriage inside main upright
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 5:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

I went with a 7k 4 post lift in my home garage. I bought it more fore storage then working on. I kind of wish I went 2 post. Usally the local lift companies have a lot of decent used and trade ins and do the install.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 6:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

I went through this and there is no one perfect lift. Each style has a trade-off. 4 post lifts are nice because you can just drive on and lift without bending down to position arms and they are really the best for storing a car above another. They are also safer for work like removing transmissions but a 2 post is much better for removing wheels, lifting a body, etc. In 2 post lifts there are symetrical and asymetrical and now some that supposedly can act as either. Asymetrical allow more clearance to open the door of the car but are not as well suited for large pickups and SUV's. Symetric lifts are better suited if you want to be able to put the vehicle on facing backwards. Then there's capacity. A 7000 lb lift is very limited and mostly made for price point. I've seen a few guys buy a 7000 lb and sell it to get a 9000 lb. I ended up buying a 9000 lb asymetric lift (used) but I was very tempted by a 4 post just due to safety. Think realistically about what you will use it for.
Hotwire and kmakar like this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 9:03 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampy 6x6 View Post
Hi
So it canbe called a clear floor/overhead hoist
Are the arms equal in length??
Are the arms low profile versions ??
Do the posts face each other or at an angle offset with both arms [when down] folding the same direction . ??

NB
Best to set up hoist as wide as possible [std / wide],allows more clearance for doors on a standard hoist . [posts facing each other]
Typically there is a standard height . Try to use that as a minimum
U can get screw in pads or slip fit . Both types have there pros and cons .

Use a can of hoist/wire rope spray lube [CRC] 1 x can to lube once a year .
Also lube Teflon slides for lift carriage inside main upright
From the specs, this is what I was looking at... I don't have anything big (no big trucks like F250), just an SUV (2017 Ford Escape ecoboost), Ford Ranger, and my kids cars (2016 Mazda CX5, and 2018 Ford Fusion), so nothing big to lift (I'll be mainly using it to do a frame off restore of my 67 Chevelle)

https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/ben...c-p-48195.aspx

Thoughts?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 9:42 AM
Team Member
Roger

I went thru this decision process as well and ended up w/ a 9K 4 post lift. I've used mine for 3 restorations as well as storage and service. BTW, just because you don't have a 2500 pickup or 3500 dually, or a larger SUV, doesn't mean you won't have one in the future. Talking from experience.
I've used 2 post before and unless you're really careful, there can be safety issues. Just saying I wasn't willing to take the risk for my safety and the safety of my vehicles.
In my case I use the lift to store the Camaro off the ground when not using it for a project. So storage was a factor for me.
What is the thickness of your floor? I think most 2 post lifts recommend 6" of concrete.
Also, I bought dollies w/ my lift that allow me to relocate the lift in my garage. The lift comes down on the dollies and then you push the lift to it's new location. They could be very handy. Haven't used them yet.
Good luck deciding on which lift to go with. I'm sure you'll enjoy it when installed.
buddyv likes this.

1972 El Camino SS (sold)
1981 Camaro Z28
2015 Silverado 3500 LTZ Duramax CC DRW
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 11:08 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

I put a double cab Ford 150 4X4 on my 2 post asymetrical, and it was unstable. With a little shifting I probably could have made it better; but I only was changing his wheels, so I only lifted it to get the tires to clear the floor.

For a frame off restoration, I couldn't think of anything better than a 2 post lift. Lift the car by the frame, prep it, set tall jack stands to support the body, and drop the car down, reset the lift arms under the body, and lift the body. I test fit my frame several times because of the modifications to the driveline. It's relatively easy to do. I clamped my body to the lift at the torque boxes just to make me feel better as I worked on the body because there was a lot hanging behind the rear lift arms.

Also, buy a screw jack. Sometimes you need to get to a spot on the body where the arm is, and a screw jack can support that corner while you work on that corner. I had rust holes below the cowl, and I used the screw jack to support that corner while I carved out the rot. I eventually also bought a tall transmission jack because the T-56 that I installed is very heavy. Plus, a 16 gallon drain pan is also nice to have.

Generally, I really like a 2 post. Getting the wheels off of the ground is a big plus. Heck, sometimes I put my Chevelle on the lift to just clean the wheels really well. Opening the door is a little bit of a pain. I have to stop short and push my Suburban forward just to make it easier to get out of the door. I haven't had my double cab Silverado on my lift yet, but I assume it will be the same as my Suburban. You don't have to set pads on a 4 post, but setting pads is not that tough to do. 12 foot ceilings are also nice to have.

If you're going to be working on your cars, I would buy a 2 post. For storage and light service a 4 post might be good for you. My dentist just bought a side X side 4 post lift and raised his garage roof so that he can make his cars disappear into his ceiling, so 4 posts are useful.
kmakar likes this.

'69 Chevelle SS ("NOT" ON THE ROAD NOW!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ
T-56 Magnum trans with hydraulic McLeod RST
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPepper View Post
I went thru this decision process as well and ended up w/ a 9K 4 post lift. I've used mine for 3 restorations as well as storage and service. BTW, just because you don't have a 2500 pickup or 3500 dually, or a larger SUV, doesn't mean you won't have one in the future. Talking from experience.
I've used 2 post before and unless you're really careful, there can be safety issues. Just saying I wasn't willing to take the risk for my safety and the safety of my vehicles.
In my case I use the lift to store the Camaro off the ground when not using it for a project. So storage was a factor for me.
What is the thickness of your floor? I think most 2 post lifts recommend 6" of concrete.
Also, I bought dollies w/ my lift that allow me to relocate the lift in my garage. The lift comes down on the dollies and then you push the lift to it's new location. They could be very handy. Haven't used them yet.
Good luck deciding on which lift to go with. I'm sure you'll enjoy it when installed.
I've been torn between the 4 post and 2 post, and my wife isn't all that happy with my latest idea.... BOTH. 2 post for working, and a 4 post for storage. At 57 I figured I was done working on cars (my body is reminding me every day it's falling apart) and I had my retirement home built 2 years ago and my wife kept saying " we should add the third bay in case you want to do work".... stupid me (only have a 21 year old son left at home out of 5 kids and he'll be with us a while as he is a high functioning autistic).

BUT, I was smart enough when I had my house built I had a larger garage built. It's oversized (25' deep x 27' wide inside) with (2) 9' wide doors at 8' tall, and the ceilings are at 10' 4". I knew I'd have to cut the floor to pour concrete columns for the lift posts (as my floor is standard thickness at 3.5").

So now I'm toying with the idea of both (can't afford both right now, but when my Chevelle is done, I'd have a place to park it, above my wife's car), and I still get to park in the garage.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 3:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

I ordered and pre-paid for a 10K Olympic 2-post lift last summer but when the shipment came in there were not enough of those on-board so the company upgraded my order to a 12K Olympic lift at no extra charge. Works well with all of our vehicles and I've let friends and family members use it too. Total cost was $3,000, which included all transport, offload, set-up, install, hydraulic oil and hardware (except electrical circuit and wiring to control box, which I did myself). Crew was thorough and professional. I am very happy with this HD set-up. Vendor was Top Secret Restorations of Arlington, WA.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 4:15 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Kevin

Well, my wife was looking at videos of 2 post lifts and 4 post lifts. She doesn't like the idea of me being under a 2 post lift (she saw epic failures of 2 post lifts).

For some reason she wants me around a bit longer.... go figure.

So now my focus is on 4 post lifts. I guess I'll need the rail jacks. I'm thinking I can do fine with just one.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 5:30 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmakar View Post
Well, my wife was looking at videos of 2 post lifts and 4 post lifts. She doesn't like the idea of me being under a 2 post lift (she saw epic failures of 2 post lifts).
Whaaaaaaat. ?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 6:26 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelysalty View Post
Whaaaaaaat. ?
She was watching youtube videos of what each lift is like and saw "epic failures" of 2 post lifts where cars/trucks fell off of them.... she freaked out a bit....
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 7:12 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmakar View Post
Quote:
Whaaaaaaat. ?
She was watching youtube videos of what each lift is like and saw "epic failures" of 2 post lifts where cars/trucks fell off of them.... she freaked out a bit....
Eat more Doritos and buy what you want !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f4roRI78nQ
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 8:11 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Kevin

Quote:
Eat more Doritos and buy what you want !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f4roRI78nQ
Yeah, she's not a nag.... she kinda still likes me after 34 years, and I could see her point. I saw a few of the videos, and yep, they were boneheads doing stupid stuff.

After looking at both, I do think I'd get better use out of the 4 post, and it would be much safer (I'm not easy on things and often forget when I'm working to take it easy).

I just have to find one now that is reasonable with the trolley jack.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 11:51 PM
Tech Team

HI
Look for a 9000---10,000 lbs hoist . All components should be a heavier grade and be far safer .
Many a gearbox have been removed from a car weight of 3500lbs and light 4x4 upto F150

For aggressive movement chain vehicle to hoist arms .
The only time I had an issue was a Toyota motor in a Nissan rally car . Yup is wasn`t pretty. That was 30years ago on a different hoist.

Light weight hoists are quick and easy to work with light weight arms ,smaller main columns .
Light weight ARMS are easier but heavier built units work ok just a bit more difficult to move

I own a XPR-10S equal length heavy weight arms [door opening is a problem when set to standard width ] Set this hoist optional wider setting =additional Tot. 13inches /6.5in per side
https://www.bendpak.com.au/car-hoist...oists/xpr-10s/

OR
Use the AS hoist version Asymmetric hoist =angle posts and unequal short and long arms
[easier vehicle access ]
When positioning car, engine sits just in front of coloumns
https://www.bendpak.com.au/car-hoist...ists/xpr-10as/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in