need a trans jack - Chevelle Tech
Tools & Shops Shop Rat HQ

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 19, 9:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Duke

need a trans jack

Getting too old to bench press a Muncie so I need to find a trans. jack or make one. Obviously looking for something not real $$ but very functional. What's out there? TIA!

Duke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 19, 9:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage
Re: need a trans jack

I bought the Harbor Freight $169 trans jack and did my T-400 by myself, they sell a less $ trans jack but the $169 looks safer IMO, I think they sell a trans plate you put on a floor jack too, get one of the 20% off coupons online it helps, also read lift heights on them so your not

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 19, 11:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Hey Duke:
Just an idea if you do not have a lift. I got a piece of round steel that fit the base of my floor jack. Cut it the correct length, To fit the jack base. Then welded a piece of 1/4 or 3/8" plate to the piece of steel.
Next. Drilled some 3/8" holes in the four corners, Then find some pieces of 3/8" all thread about 8" long. Double nut them in the flat plate. My plate is about 10" X 10".
Stick a nut on top each piece of the all thread, Drop some cheap dog chain ( just big enough to fit over the 3/8" all thread)on front top of the nuts, Same with the rear. I made mine so it has a little " SAG " in the middle to cradle my M-22. With the M-22 in the cradle, I adjusted the nuts on the all thread, To get it at the correct angle or close, So it will slide in the B. Housing.
My tranny jack aint the best, But I can turn it left or right, Adjust the tranny angle, Up or Down. This is not a tool that I use often, But DAM,,,,, It sure is nice when you do need it and I made it from STUFF I found in the garage.
Set the tranny on the jack, get it in the proper or close position, Wheel it under the car, Jack it up, With the handle under the car with you ( I pulled the front part of the jack handle so it is short and easy to use under the car.)
Also if you have the tranny in just past the T-Out bearing and its time for lunch, NO BIG deal. Walk away, The tranny will be in the same place after lunch, OR when you come back Tomorrow.
Bob
P.S. I bought a tool that you can REMOVE & INSTALL the rear insert bearing that the slip yoke rides on my 22 or any tranny with the same splines. ( T-400,Etc.) With the tranny in the car and the shaft & seal out, It takes about three min. to R & R the bearing. If Ya need the tool just Holler !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 19, 11:42 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

This one from Harbor Freight works OK. It was on sale for $69.00 when I got mine.
https://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb...nsmission+jack
blm and vortec710 like this.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 19, 1:10 PM
Tech Team
Will

I bought the 2000 lb one from harbor freight which I am pretty sure it’s just a little heavier built version shovelrick mentioned. I bought it to replace the clutch in a dodge 3500 6 speed that weighs 400 lbs plus. It worked as well as could be expected. The screw that adjusted front to back didn’t work as well as I would like but I was able to get a bottle jack to help with this. It probably wouldn’t have been a problem if the trans wasn’t so heavy and the floor pan clearance was a little better. All four wheels swivel, the handle swivels probably 270 degrees, and it has a big knob that makes it easy to control the hydraulics. If I was only worried about doing a smaller car transmission, I would probably go with the 169 dollar version, but I am a firm believer overkill is underrated
ZZ69chevelle likes this.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 19, 1:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Don't go cheap and get the trans jack adapter for your floor jack. The height of the jack + adapter means you can't roll the jack under the car.

It's great in theory but in the end the top of the bell housing is about 2 ft off the ground. I've filled a couple jars dead lifting the trans on the jack under the car.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 19, 5:26 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

I've got the trans jack in Deans link. Bought it off Craigslist from someone that used it one time. Think I paid $60.00 for it. Works just fine. The problem with using a floor jack is the wheel base is too narrow and they tend to tip over when raised with a trans attached to it. Someone should have kicked me in the ass a long time ago for attempting a trans removal without the proper jack.
DUKE 69 and shovelrick like this.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 19, 6:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lance

Garage

FWIW..in addition to the HF Trans jack, obtain some steel rod (not redi-rod), cut it at least 3-5 inches LONGER than the length of input shaft, measured from the face of your Muncie to the front end of the input shaft. Thread 2 pieces of the cut rod with the same thread the same as your transmission to bell housing bolts on one end. You jack your Muncie to to the desired height, slide one of the threaded rods thru a upper transmission ear into the bell housing, then the other threaded rod goes thru the other upper eye into the bell housing. Carefully slide the Muncie into the clutch , bolt up the bottom ears, remove each upper rod and insert tranny bold until all 4 are done. Works well when you get older and can no longer "belly-up" those trannies like you used to 20 years ago.
DUKE 69 and shovelrick like this.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 19, 7:24 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

This is the one you want:

https://www.harborfreight.com/800-lb...ack-60234.html

The cheaper HF trans jack is not very good and leave you with few options concerning orientation. The linked one above lets you tilt the support bed in every direction so you can just roll the transmission right into place. It is also very large and heavy and thus very stable. I used that one when doing the clutch on my 06 GTO so that was a Tremec 6-speed and if you aren't familiar with those, they are HEAVY. I strapped it down, tilted it this way and that and it slid right into place.

I originally had the cheap one and one time it fell over so I never used it again. It is very wobbly when set at the higher reaches and it doesn't have the all-directions tilt features.
shovelrick and p40 like this.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 19, 8:47 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortec710 View Post
FWIW..in addition to the HF Trans jack, obtain some steel rod (not redi-rod), cut it at least 3-5 inches LONGER than the length of input shaft, measured from the face of your Muncie to the front end of the input shaft. Thread 2 pieces of the cut rod with the same thread the same as your transmission to bell housing bolts on one end. You jack your Muncie to to the desired height, slide one of the threaded rods thru a upper transmission ear into the bell housing, then the other threaded rod goes thru the other upper eye into the bell housing. Carefully slide the Muncie into the clutch , bolt up the bottom ears, remove each upper rod and insert tranny bold until all 4 are done. Works well when you get older and can no longer "belly-up" those trannies like you used to 20 years ago.
I did something very similar and can say it makes a big difference. Think I got a couple 6 inch bolts at Home Depot and ground the heads off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-L79 View Post

The cheaper HF trans jack is not very good and leave you with few options concerning orientation. The linked one above lets you tilt the support bed in every direction so you can just roll the transmission right into place. It is also very large and heavy and thus very stable. I used that one when doing the clutch on my 06 GTO so that was a Tremec 6-speed and if you aren't familiar with those, they are HEAVY. I strapped it down, tilted it this way and that and it slid right into place.

I originally had the cheap one and one time it fell over so I never used it again. It is very wobbly when set at the higher reaches and it doesn't have the all-directions tilt features.
Rich you are probably right. I never used anything other than the cheaper HF jack and a modified floor jack. So maybe I don't know what I am missing.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 19, 9:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Duke

Thanks for all the replies, guys! Am thinking that the one Rich mentions may be my ticket. Just hope it will go high enough to do the job after I raise the car some. Looks like I can't go too high but I sure don't want to try to wrestle the trans any more than necessary. Damn, I'm getting too old for this stuff!
p40 likes this.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 19, 9:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

The jack Rich posted is the jack I have and it works great heck if you were closer you'd be welcome to use it, don't forget you can get a 20% off coupon online
I had my 68 as high as the 3 ton jack stands would go and it was fine to take my T-400 back enough to swap flex plates & convertors, I'm sure I could've swapped trans too, I had a floor jack and 4X4 under the oil pan to support the engine
p40 likes this.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 19, 10:05 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-L79 View Post

I'm sure that one is better but the cheaper one has always worked OK for me (and for the people that have borrowed it) but I've never had to raise a transmission up all the way on it because I only have the vehicle up high enough to get the transmission on the jack through just behind the front tire plus I've never had a transmission that weighed 800 LBS

https://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb...nsmission+jack

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 19, 10:05 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKE 69 View Post
Thanks for all the replies, guys! Am thinking that the one Rich mentions may be my ticket. Just hope it will go high enough to do the job after I raise the car some.
Duke,
Both of last two winters I had the manual transmission out of my 69. I had the car on a qwik lift which raises it approx 20 inches off the ground. I calculated that the trans jack was not going to be able to go high enough. So I fabricated a platform about 2 ft square out of 2 x 4s and 3/4 plywood with a ramp to get the jack with trans aboard on and off the platform. The car was high enough that I could have my ass on the floor and sit up straight with my head in the trans tunnell. Worked like a charm.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 19, 10:46 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

I use this one with my Kwik Lift. Works great. I've swapped my trans in and out at least 3 times with it so far, and it reaches no problem and is super easy to use.

I got it for a lot less than it is now when I bought it. Harbor Freight has a knock off of this (it's a Pittsburg unit.)

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sxt-7740b

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Duke,
Both of last two winters I had the manual transmission out of my 69. I had the car on a qwik lift which raises it approx 20 inches off the ground. I calculated that the trans jack was not going to be able to go high enough. So I fabricated a platform about 2 ft square out of 2 x 4s and 3/4 plywood with a ramp to get the jack with trans aboard on and off the platform. The car was high enough that I could have my ass on the floor and sit up straight with my head in the trans tunnell. Worked like a charm.

1972 Chevelle, 454, 200-4r non-lockup, 12 bolt 3.73
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in