5Likes
  • 1 Post By GoFast Beaumont
  • 3 Post By Pete 67
  • 1 Post By lucifershammer

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 19, 9:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Stainless tubing bender?

Does Harbor Freight sell a kit that can bend 1/2 stainless?
Need to make a new fuel line, like the look. This stuff has absolutely no give at all .

Nobody in these parts does this may as well go for it. Cheap if I make a mistake.

Thanks

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 1:47 PM
Tech Team
Chris

You will need a industrial style bender, it will only be able to bend the 1 diameter. With that said they do make a kit so that you can buy all 3 (1/4, 3/8, & 1/2) but it will be over 600-700. I would buy the one you need.

I bend all my stuff and stainless now and have never looked back.
Steve R likes this.

1968 Beaumont
502 big block
Stock looking, definitely not stock sounding
HP and ET not determined yet!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 1:55 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage
Re: Stainless tubing bender?

Stainless is nice, but not so much for the casual do-it-yourselfer like me. I'm able to bend the regular stuff with my tools, but not stainless.

I but pre-bent stainless or bend the standard stuff.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 2:14 PM
Senior Tech Team

IMO, you'd better off if you call one of the vendors that sells new lines & have them custom bend you what you need. By the time you invest in the tool & the tubing, then add the frustration of trying to bend it yourself, you'll be way ahead just buying it pre bent.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 19, 7:03 AM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post
Stainless is nice, but not so much for the casual do-it-yourselfer like me. I'm able to bend the regular stuff with my tools, but not stainless.

I but pre-bent stainless or bend the standard stuff.
I learned this the hard way as well, when i swapped my TH350 for a 2004r. had to reverse the lines on the trans, and holy crap, even with the aid of a decent tubing bender, that stuff was murder to massage them just enough to get them switched over. whoever put those lines in, was not a diy-er.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 19, 7:12 PM
Art
Tech Team
Art

Working in the oil fields in west Texas I bent way more 3/8 stainless than I ever wanted to. I can tell you that it's not easy and a good bender is a must. I used a Swagelok bender, it was OK and a little pricey. I've never tried to bend 1/2" tubing but I think it would probably be near impossible to bend by hand.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 19, 8:12 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

I haven't had much luck bending stainless, but it does look cool. Sorry, this post won't help you find a bender.

But - what I've moved to now is copper-nickel lines. They can polish up quite nicely (not super shiny like stainless but I think it has its own cool look) with some steel wool and are super easy to work with, and getting them to seal is a breeze.
hydro462 likes this.

1972 Chevelle, 454, 200-4r non-lockup, 12 bolt 3.73
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 19, 9:56 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I think using stainless on parts like these is a waste.. I use the regular tubing that bends real nice and looks great...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 19, 4:36 PM
Gold Member

I looked at this thread and had a great brain wave: Anneal the tubing in the region to be bent. So, I looked up what it takes to anneal it. Way high temperatures for hours. No way could that work for DIY projects. I see that Earl's has annealed tubing at Jeg's , but only in short lengths. So,,, the question becomes one of finding pre-annealed stainless in the size and length you need. I am no help on this, however.
OK, I have returned. It turns out that annealed tubing is a real thing. Here is a chart showing weight per foot of popular sizes. It looks like the length is 20 feet. I did a search on "annealed stainless steel tubing " and on "annealed 1/2 stainless steel tubing". Your luck may be better than mine.

http://www.alascop.com/pdf/ss/annealed_tubing.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in