Four post lifts for storage/parking, considering getting one. - Chevelle Tech
Tools & Shops Shop Rat HQ

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 19, 8:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage
Four post lifts for storage/parking, considering getting one.

I am moving to an old manor house in a nearby city with a .25 acre yard and a square garage that is a smidge over 24' square on the inside. I have been granted permission to build parking, or even another garage, but I am trying to avoid that due to the look of the space and the very nice rear yard/patio area. The home was built in 1920, and the garage seems to be very old as well. It is concrete floor, with brick sides, 2 x 10' wide doors which is real nice. It has an attic space which would need to be altered for the car on the lift. I need about 10' total for the El Camino on the lift over my Challenger. The home inspection is on Monday afternoon, and I will be looking into it some more. In the mean time, I am pretty sure I can park the El Camino across the back of the garage, and get my wife's car, and my car in normally. I will make 2x4 wheel stops that I fasten to the floor to prevent bumping into it!
A lift seems to be the best solution, at least until I decide if I am going to build an additional garage on the lot. This garage opens directly onto a rear alley so other than in the garage, it is only on-street parking out front, and none of my cars will be there!
SO, who has ideas/insight/warnings about 4 post lifts? I don't expect to ever have anything over 5,000 pounds on it, well, maybe a "normal" pickup or something to help someone out and those seem to be well less than 6,000 empty. And the El Camino is something crazy like 700 pounds less than my Challenger.
Cheap is fine, I'm not a tool snob, and I ass-u-me that they are all as "safe" as you use them. Made in U.S.A. would be great, I'd pay for that, local to the Pittsburgh area would be a huge plus as well. I am going to be keeping an eye out on Craigslist too.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 19, 2:24 PM
Tech Team
Lorne

Garage
Re: Four post lifts for storage/parking, considering getting one.

If I was you I would not get less than 9000# hoist, that way you have a safety margin. I have 2 hoist & they are both rated at 9000 & I've never had a problem.

When the flag drops the bullsh1t stops!

63 Vette rdstr 327/4p sold in 80's
68 Z28 Camaro
70 LS6 454 Chevelle apart for refreshing
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 19, 2:51 PM
Tech Team
Greg

I bought mine from the local Ford dealer, it did not pass inspection for working under safety. Put it back together replaced the anchor pins and the free fall preventers. Cleaned up everything and was good to go.

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 19, 3:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Thanks for the replies so far, please keep them coming.
Also here is a picture of the garage. (I took it through the sunroof of my Challenger)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	611.2 KB
ID:	602784  
mr 4 speed and joeyv69ragtop like this.

ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 19, 7:41 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Do not knuw much about Lifts

but I know you should have some very good Thief protection for your cars in that Back Alley scene/setup

and I mean more than just a Alarm system
a inside pull down Wire Cage Door like Banks/Business etc. have
RealRed70 likes this.

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/06/23
60' = 1.561
1/8 = 7.411 et / 90.18 mph
1/4 = ??.??? et / ??? mph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 1:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

I have a four post lift: https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/A...rage-Pro-9-000

Quite happy with it. I put everything from my Kubota tractor to my GMC Denali on it without any problems. I bought a rolling jack along with the lift and haven't run across any projects I couldn't handle with the lift & jack. Originally I was storing my Jeep on top (my truck just fits underneath with slightly larger tires). I had the Chevelle underneath (with a Can Am X3 on top) for awhile until our last earthquake -- decided I didn't want to risk the Chevelle! LOL!

I didn't anchor it so I could move it if needed, but I haven't moved it in a couple of years, so I might go ahead and anchor into the slab (6" +/- concrete).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 2:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

We have two of the four post BendPak lifts in a 2 car garage, works out pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bowmangarage1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	603070  
jrkrace likes this.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 2:19 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Ed,
I'm thinking altering the ceiling in the existing garage may be complicated.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 6:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Ed,
I'm thinking altering the ceiling in the existing garage may be complicated.
Yep, but the good side is, I only need ceiling room for the El Camino's cab, not the whole vehicle. Plus I think I will clear the raised garage door as well. I took another look in the garage, it may work, IF I get the house that is. The inspection found more than I was expecting in the HVAC area of the home, in addition to a lot of smaller things.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 9:35 AM
Tech Team
Matt

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nazarah

Bendpak four post guy here. Best decision I've ever made, hands down. I did a ton of research on lifts before going with Bendpak, but in the end it's what felt best and safe to me.

I have a detailed thread over here that goes over my experience if you have some time to kill

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...d.php?t=420497
https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...d.php?t=418120
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lift.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	603194  
mr 4 speed likes this.

Never stop learning!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 9:46 AM
Tech Team
Matt

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nazarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFortie View Post

Quite happy with it. I put everything from my Kubota tractor to my GMC Denali on it without any problems. I bought a rolling jack along with the lift and haven't run across any projects I couldn't handle with the lift & jack. Originally I was storing my Jeep on top (my truck just fits underneath with slightly larger tires). I had the Chevelle underneath (with a Can Am X3 on top) for awhile until our last earthquake -- decided I didn't want to risk the Chevelle! LOL!

I didn't anchor it so I could move it if needed, but I haven't moved it in a couple of years, so I might go ahead and anchor into the slab (6" +/- concrete).
The rolling jack is on my list of things to save for next year. I've ran into a couple of projects already that I wished I had one. Man are they proud of them.

When I did not have mine anchored it was a bit unstable with a heavy car raised all the way up. Do you ever run into that? After anchoring what I've got it's rock solid.

Never stop learning!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
Yep, but the good side is, I only need ceiling room for the El Camino's cab, not the whole vehicle. Plus I think I will clear the raised garage door as well. I took another look in the garage, it may work, IF I get the house that is.
Sounds like the house is iffy. If I were going to go through the trouble and expense to alter the ceiling think I would alter it to the point it would accept any vehicle. What if at some point down the road you no longer have the Elco (I know but things happen) and need to put another vehicle up there.
Also think resale. Is the space more valuable as storage or possibly living space.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:03 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
Yep, but the good side is, I only need ceiling room for the El Camino's cab, not the whole vehicle. Plus I think I will clear the raised garage door as well. I took another look in the garage, it may work, IF I get the house that is.
Sounds like the house is iffy. If I were going to go through the trouble and expense to alter the ceiling think I would alter it to the point it would accept any vehicle. What if at some point down the road you no longer have the Elco (I know but things happen) and need to put another vehicle up there.
Also think resale. Is the space more valuable as storage or possibly living space as opposed to automotive storage.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 2:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazarah View Post
The rolling jack is on my list of things to save for next year. I've ran into a couple of projects already that I wished I had one. Man are they proud of them.

When I did not have mine anchored it was a bit unstable with a heavy car raised all the way up. Do you ever run into that? After anchoring what I've got it's rock solid.
Yeah, the rolling jack is a must. And yes, they are proud of them. I'd like to have two but for now I'll settle for bottle jacks and the HD jack tray...

I've had my 3/4 ton GMC diesel up top and never felt it was unstable. But I did back my flat bed trailer up to the lift to drive my Can Am straight from the trailer to the lift platform. Not a good idea; the lift sway back and forth a bit when I moved the X3 onto it. Won't do that again!
Nazarah likes this.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 9:33 PM
Tech Team
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFortie View Post

I have this same lift and jacks. Going on 6 years with it and might be getting a second one in the spring. It is not made in the USA, but still built very well. Mine is bolted down to a slab that might only be 3" thick. Being a 4 post it's a non issue. I have about 11'-6" ceiling height, and with my 65 El Camino on it all the way up, have at least few more inches of ceiling clearance. All the way up gives ~80" of clearance under the runways.

Edit: I didn't wait too long to bolt mine down due to just feeling uneasy about the lift swaying when using any sort of heavy force to loosen / tighten bolts. If you get the rolling jacks during the initial purchase, I think you can save a couple hundred bucks. We got the pair when we got the lift. If we get another lift we're going to move one of the jacks to the new lift.
Nazarah likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in