Miller Multimatic 220 or ESAB Rebel 205 - Chevelle Tech
Tools & Shops Shop Rat HQ

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 9:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Miller Multimatic 220 or ESAB Rebel 205

I really like these all in one welders. I am a complete n00b to welding, I have limited space, but I'd like to get something. Right now these are on sale locally for $3750 CAD for the Rebel and $3889 for the Miller. That's roughly $2800 USD for the Rebel.

Obviously the big seller for me is the AC TIG options so I can TIG aluminum.

From what I've read, the Miller might seem to be more beginner friendly, while the Rebel seems to be able to do just a little bit more. Plus it's cheaper.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 18th, 19, 9:04 AM
Senior Tech Team
Kevin

Re: Miller Multimatic 220 or ESAB Rebel 205

I am partial to Miller equipment, I have a MIG, TIG and Plasma cutter. They have never failed me and parts are easy to get should you need them. There is a good comparison video on the two machines on YouTube that you should check out. The Miller has what they call "pro quickset" for welding which will help properly set up the machine as well as adjustable drive rolls for MIG which is handy.

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space" - Jim Whittaker

Ermine White/Red 1967 Chevelle Malibu
Forged Mike Lewis 383 rotating assembly
AFR Eliminator 195's
Lunati Voodoo 60122 roller cam
Inglese 50mm 8 stack injection
FAST XFI Street
SC&C Stage II Plus suspension
Hotchkis/Hellwig sway bars
Tremec TKO 600
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 18th, 19, 5:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

I watched that video, among others. One video said the auto "pro quickset" had too high of amperage and he dialed it back. Without the experience, it's tough for me to know what's the best value.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 19th, 19, 9:38 AM
Senior Tech Team
Kevin

I am not a professional welder so I took a TIG class years ago after a friend showed me the basics on a Miller Syncrowave 250. MIG is quite easy and TIG takes practice to master. Not sure about the quickset features that most machines seem to have these days. Seems like it would get you close in settings but after some experience you can figure it out. Again, I like Miller. Have never weldes with the ESAB machines so I cant say anything about them with authority. I have used Lincoln as well but still prefer Miller. Looks like most of the entry level machines these days are inverter which awesome in my opinion. The Syncrowave mentioned above comes in at several hundred pounds while my Dynasty 200 comes in at about 60 lbs.

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space" - Jim Whittaker

Ermine White/Red 1967 Chevelle Malibu
Forged Mike Lewis 383 rotating assembly
AFR Eliminator 195's
Lunati Voodoo 60122 roller cam
Inglese 50mm 8 stack injection
FAST XFI Street
SC&C Stage II Plus suspension
Hotchkis/Hellwig sway bars
Tremec TKO 600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in