• 1 Post By DUTCH MAX HEADWORK
  • 1 Post By 71350SS
  • 1 Post By sevt_chevelle

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 19, 2:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Thumbs up Mig Welding Aluminum without a Spool Gun ? video

While I know that the best way is TiG welding for anything aluminum that has of any kind of value but this is for welding something without the big investment of a separate TiG welder.Anyway here's the video:

This guy does video eqipment tutorials so welding isn't his main thing but he explains that he worked for a welding company when he was younger.I think I'm going to try this method out, I have at least 3 things that could be fixed if I had a TiG so it may be worth the try.
He also recommends a welding helmet, it's a Jackson Truesight II WF70. I definately need a new welding helmet as the Horrible Fright welding helmet I bought will shutdown halfway through a welding event.It stops shading and protecting my eyes and i'm looking directly at the weld without any shading.
That Jackson helmet is a little more than I can afford right now does anyone have a recomendation for an auto darkening welding helmet that you own and is below $150 ?

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 19, 8:20 PM
Gold Member

Re: Mig Welding Aluminum without a Spool Gun ? video

One thing I noticed was that the broken part was a high pressure die casting. Those always have a lot of trapped gas that bubbles up when the metal melts. I was a little surprised at how good his weld came out, as the trapped gas can really mess up a weld. I have TIG welded die cast aluminum and it requires some patience to wait for the gas to release before adding filler metal. With MIG you really do not have that luxury. So he did pretty well.
Good video. Thanks for posting it.
71350SS likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 19, 9:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

This is a good helmet that I have owned for 2 years now and weld atleast a couple of hours each week at work. It's held up well for being my in cabinet thrasher helmet. https://smile.amazon.com/Jackson-Saf...ct_top?ie=UTF8

They make a new nicer looking helmet for the same price, my buddy has one. He says it sucks because the neck protector is too short. To make up for it, he installed a leather bib to the bottom of the helmet. You can get this one $30 CHEAPER ON EBAY, https://smile.amazon.com/Jackson-Saf...-/273611171643. On ebay....https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jackson-Saf...-/273611171643

To keep your helmet undamaged and new for years, I highly recommend this bag. https://smile.amazon.com/Raider-BCS-...gateway&sr=8-9

Avoid the Antra brand. I have 3 of those that are just pure crap. Miller makes a good helmet too, but $$$'s.

As far as welding aluminum, I'll stick with TIG because I have one. I've never tried a spool gun.
71350SS likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 19, 10:47 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

i have a 250 syncrowave i tig with. recently bought a new 252 wire welder. i bought a spool gun with it but havent tried it yet. wire welding aluminum is mostly for production work and it doesnt like vertical or esp overhead
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 19, 7:29 AM
Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagner View Post
One thing I noticed was that the broken part was a high pressure die casting. Those always have a lot of trapped gas that bubbles up when the metal melts. I was a little surprised at how good his weld came out, as the trapped gas can really mess up a weld. I have TIG welded die cast aluminum and it requires some patience to wait for the gas to release before adding filler metal. With MIG you really do not have that luxury. So he did pretty well.
Good video. Thanks for posting it.
You don't think he had more wire feed than power applied? Looks more like he piled up material and really didn't get any penetration.. But I'm self taught and still learning. Have the exact same welder though, so this has peaked my interest..

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 19, 7:21 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Thanks to everyone for all the replies.I'd love to get a TIG but that's for when I hit the lottery so I'm going to try this technique with my MiG.He says he was taught this technique from an old timer and that's where some of the best short cuts *or are they called hacks now* come from so that's another reason to try it out.Plus I'd rather see what I can do this way and meantime I'll keep saving for a TIG setup.
Al, thank you, I have to get a new helmet bad because of the piece of junk I have now. I would have been much better off saving the $40 I spent on it at HF.Every time I use that POS I get flashed and then have headaches later on.I might just as well wear a pair of dark safety glasses when I weld.So that Jackson helmet on Amazon is looking good.
Hotwire likes this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 19, 7:48 PM
Tech Team
John

This guy shouldnít be around a welding machine. So many things wrong with this vid.

If anyone decides to try this, donít let the ďweldedĒ part exceed 150F while in service, and donít use this method on anything cast.

Iíve never seen any welder choose the filler wire because it was stiffer and more likely to feed through the gun. That is just plain wrong and bad practice.

And yes, Iím a welder, have been for 38 years, and although I donít do it for a living anymore(I still TIG weld at home), I was certified for aircraft and missile.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 21st, 19, 6:19 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Location: No more land of OZ for me am back in the corn fields of Iowa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71350SS View Post
Thanks to everyone for all the replies.I'd love to get a TIG but that's for when I hit the lottery so I'm going to try this technique with my MiG.He says he was taught this technique from an old timer and that's where some of the best short cuts *or are they called hacks now* come from so that's another reason to try it out.Plus I'd rather see what I can do this way and meantime I'll keep saving for a TIG setup.
Al, thank you, I have to get a new helmet bad because of the piece of junk I have now. I would have been much better off saving the $40 I spent on it at HF.Every time I use that POS I get flashed and then have headaches later on.I might just as well wear a pair of dark safety glasses when I weld.So that Jackson helmet on Amazon is looking good.

Over on the garage journal forum, guys rave about a 600-700 TIG found on Amazon. Lots of guys using it are professionals doing automotive based welding.

I believe it was this one.

I own Jackson welding helmets, I would cry if mine bit the dust.

Also like to use cheater lenses or magnifying lenses when TIG, it just allows me to really see that weld puddle.
71350SS likes this.

Currently working on How to videos and replacement sheetmetal panels

1970 chevelle getting Sliced and Diced Anything But STOCK
1970 chevelle SS455 not a typo its a BUICK BABY
1949 and 1972 chevy trucks
Pictures of my work

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 21st, 19, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Lightbulb Re: Mig Welding Aluminum without a Spool Gun ? video

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJohn View Post
This guy shouldnít be around a welding machine. So many things wrong with this vid.

If anyone decides to try this, donít let the ďweldedĒ part exceed 150F while in service, and donít use this method on anything cast.

Iíve never seen any welder choose the filler wire because it was stiffer and more likely to feed through the gun. That is just plain wrong and bad practice.

And yes, Iím a welder, have been for 38 years, and although I donít do it for a living anymore(I still TIG weld at home), I was certified for aircraft and missile.
John,If you watch the video and listen to what was said it was this was a short-cut,a way to weld aluminum at home without the need to invest in some special aluminum only special welding equipment.
Is it the correct thing to do ? of course not but this way, the only "special" thing that's needed is a new spool of wire.That's it,that's a really short list if you ask me.This video was never intended to be the best way to weld aluminum or to be the correct way to weld something.That guy isn't even in the welding field any more.He's a video guy who used to work with a welding company when he was much younger.He decided to try this short cut that an old timer had told him about and then tape it.So that other people who have something aluminum they need to weld and don't have or can't afford at the time,the right equipment can see if this short cut would work for them.I'm glad he made the video and I'm going to try it out first chance I get.
I will say it again,this was not intended to be the correct welding procedure for aluminum,if you're looking for that correct procedure then find another video.
BUT if someone doesn't own a TIG or have a MIG that will power a spool gun and wants to try welding some aluminum stuff at home with the MIG welder that they already own,then watch the video and try it out for yourself.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 19, 1:18 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevt_chevelle View Post
Over on the garage journal forum, guys rave about a 600-700 TIG found on Amazon. Lots of guys using it are professionals doing automotive based welding.

I believe it was this one.
https://www.amazon.com/AHP-AlphaTIG-...s%2C400&sr=8-3

I own Jackson welding helmets, I would cry if mine bit the dust.

Also like to use cheater lenses or magnifying lenses when TIG, it just allows me to really see that weld puddle.
Thanks Eric That looks like a good piece. Any idea where its made ? I couldn't find any country of origin.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 19, 8:58 AM
Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71350SS View Post
John,If you watch the video and listen to what was said it was this was a short-cut,a way to weld aluminum at home without the need to invest in some special aluminum only special welding equipment.
Is it the correct thing to do ? of course not but this way, the only "special" thing that's needed is a new spool of wire.That's it,that's a really short list if you ask me.This video was never intended to be the best way to weld aluminum or to be the correct way to weld something.That guy isn't even in the welding field any more.He's a video guy who used to work with a welding company when he was much younger.He decided to try this short cut that an old timer had told him about and then tape it.So that other people who have something aluminum they need to weld and don't have or can't afford at the time,the right equipment can see if this short cut would work for them.I'm glad he made the video and I'm going to try it out first chance I get.
I will say it again,this was not intended to be the correct welding procedure for aluminum,if you're looking for that correct procedure then find another video.
BUT if someone doesn't own a TIG or have a MIG that will power a spool gun and wants to try welding some aluminum stuff at home with the MIG welder that they already own,then watch the video and try it out for yourself.
I did watch the vid. I donít normally watch YouTube vids on welding because I am a welder. 90% of the vids out there are wrong, thatís why I donít watch them. I donít need to try this out, I already have a tig. Was certified on aluminum for missile and aircraft. Most of my welding career, peoples lives depended on my skill as a welder.

If youíre just fooling around to see if it works, or doing something artistic, go for it. But if youíre trying to do anything that will see stress, not the proper way at all.

There are shortcuts to welding, but filler choice is not among them. Filler choice is paramount, and will literally make or break a weld.

Just pointing out that this method will get you hurt or possibly killed if used in the wrong situation. Iíve seen guys lay down dimes with minimal, if any, penetration and thought they did good. If youíre not going to do it right, either donít do it or find someone who can. Hell, ship it to me, Iíll do it.

Good luck with this, let us know how it turns out.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 12:49 AM
Tech Team

I got 2 tig welders last year and have only been able to test it a tiny bit, boy I'm getting lazy in my old age. At the rate fixing things at the house and the lousy weather I might never get to test them. I did try the arc function out on the AHP and that part worked fantastic, if the tig side works as well as the arc welding side I will be a happy camper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in