Chevelle Tech - View Single Post - 1970 Chevelle Legend700 5 Speed Install Info
View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 14, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
JodysTransmissions
Lifetime Premium Member
Jody

Re: 1970 Chevelle Legend700 5 Speed Install Info

Jim, Good question.......

I apply rearward pressure to the crankshaft as I rotate it. Usually after three revolutions the crankshaft is at zero endplay on the rear main bearing. Then you just need to keep applying rearward pressure as you rotate the crankshaft checking the bellhousing parallel alignment.

Wherever your "zero" reference is with your dial indicator, make sure it is "zero" after your 360* rotation. This will verify your crankshaft did not have any axial float movement off the rear main bearing.

My Personal Alignment Tip: I always try to do the bellhousing alignment as soon as the crankshaft is fitted into the engine block. I then rotate the engine with the installed crankshaft in the verticle position. Support the engine and the mounted bellhousing will be on the topside. This eliminates any crankshaft float to check the parallel alignment. Plus, without the pistons and rods installed, you can easily spin the crankshaft and do the entire bellhousing alignment by yourself.

Jody Haag

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Most 4, 5, and 6 Speed Repairs, Parts, Service & Custom Installations
610-413-8015

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome