Attention - Password and Security Update - Page 8 - Chevelle Tech
Chevelles.com Site Discussion Website questions, feedback, comments, suggestions.

53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #106 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 16, 9:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
Denny

Re: Attention - Password and Security Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Birdwell View Post
Good story but no one hacked my password "ss454" in 20 years on here...
I'm sure this kind of comment would reassure the owners of Ashley Madison who are now sued for $576 millions because their users «are outraged that AshleyMadison.com failed to protect its users' information.» Especially knowing that more than 11 millions passwords have already been cracked. Note that no one has really lost anything in this hack, they just «feel» that they have been lied to.

That's the kind of stuff companies love to deal with.

Internet security is a big deal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 16, 10:19 PM
Tech Team
J

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyefi View Post
I have my own mental algorithm to allow for a different pw for every site I visit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eotnak View Post
I have literally hundreds of accounts, about 10 usernames in total, and not a single password is reused. I write down nothing. I have a system that I developed that is easy to memorize and convenient to use*
Exactly.
post #108 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 16, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Action View Post
I'm sure this kind of comment would reassure the owners of Ashley Madison who are now sued for $576 millions because their users «are outraged that AshleyMadison.com failed to protect its users' information.» Especially knowing that more than 11 millions passwords have already been cracked. Note that no one has really lost anything in this hack, they just «feel» that they have been lied to.

That's the kind of stuff companies love to deal with.

Internet security is a big deal.
Ashley Madison is not analogous to what could happen here.

post #109 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 16, 5:55 AM
Senior Tech Team

Re: New password requirements????

I still can not get into my account with the correct name & PW on my phone, tablet or home computer - Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Why, Can someone answer that?????

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.

70 (SOLD)

post #110 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 16, 7:39 AM

I sent an email to VerticalScope 2 days ago with no response yet, this site is working really slow on my laptop for some reason also? Oh well I guess at least I can still be here.
post #111 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 16, 10:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Andy

It went pretty easy for me...SUPRISE! AG sent an email to my badarse AOL account (yes, I'm one of the cool kids) with my new crappy password. I logged in, went to my User CP, modified my old password to fit The Mans requirements. Here I am. But, I gotta go. Going to try to assemble three 6.0s in one day.
JWA likes this.

Couple of junkers and a few clunkers.
post #112 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 16, 10:43 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by achunter123 View Post
I sent an email to VerticalScope 2 days ago with no response yet, this site is working really slow on my laptop for some reason also? Oh well I guess at least I can still be here.
I just sent you a couple of email messages, one to each email address.
Do you want me to change the one in your shovelrick profile?

{edit}
I tried but shovelrick and achunter123 can not have the same email address.

Last edited by Dean; Jun 28th, 16 at 11:37 AM.
post #113 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 16, 1:13 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

i hate that i had to change a password that has worked well for me since i found this site in 1999 or so..

"Detroit hasn't felt any real pride since George Bush went to Japan and vomited on their auto executives, I tell you whut"

-Hank Hill
post #114 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 16, 4:10 PM
Tech Team
Randy

Garage

I understand the site wanting to be secure and all, but man, a car forum page ain't exactly the Federal Reserve. All the requirements make it impossible to remember a password. Whatever happened to Keep It Simple, Stupid?
Mr. D likes this.

1970 Chevelle Malibu. Red. Did it come in another color?
post #115 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 16, 5:56 AM
Senior Tech Team

Still unable to get logged in on my phone, tablet & home computer - This really sucks. I am putting it in correctly but no dice - VERY frustrating!!! - Can anyone help????

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.

70 (SOLD)

post #116 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 16, 9:11 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwhite00 View Post
Still unable to get logged in on my phone, tablet & home computer - This really sucks. I am putting it in correctly but no dice - VERY frustrating!!! - Can anyone help????

How are you able to post this if you can't get logged on?
davewho1 likes this.

post #117 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 16, 12:59 PM
TC

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyefi View Post
Exactly.
What's sad is that our advice will go largely ignored because it's not something that can be bought. It requires 5 to 10 minutes of serious thought and includes reading words.

Not a dig on this community by any means, just the public in general.
post #118 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 16, 2:47 PM
Tech Team

Lightbulb Re: New password requirements????

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattracer View Post
I understand the site wanting to be secure and all, but man, a car forum page ain't exactly the Federal Reserve. All the requirements make it impossible to remember a password. Whatever happened to Keep It Simple, Stupid?

Randy, you got that right!! I have been a member since 1999. Life happens and haven't been on a lot. Getting ready to build a 70 chevelle so I will be checking in more often.

But SERIOUSLY!!! THIS IS NOT A CREDIT CARD SITE OR A BANK SITE!!!! I have had the same password for 17 YEARS on this site. NOW they want to change it??? What a joke!!! I'd like to have a face to face with the brainiac that came up with this idea so I could talk some sense into him/her. How many members are on this site nowadays? Probably a LOT less because many won't be able to or want to remember a password that has to be SOO freaking complicated!!!

PLEASE CHANGE IT BACK TO A SIMPLER PASSWORD REQUIREMENT. SERIOUSLY!!!!!
rattracer likes this.

Mr. D (ratchetmaster)
72 454 El Camino turbo400 (now my x-wife's car!)
69 Olds 442 convertible M3
68 Camaro RS/SS 350 M4
1968 SS Camaro 572, Tremec 600, hotchkis, etc.
73 RS/LT/Z28 Camaro M4 for sale
2002 GMC Sierra Z71 SLT EXt.CAB
post #119 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 16, 3:08 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Birdwell View Post
OH my Fuching DAMN! I've had the same simple 5 character password for almost 20 years and no one has hacked my account yet.

Why don't you concentrate on more important things like how to fit ads on EVERY SQUARE INCH OF THIS WEBSITE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roll my FUCHING eyes...
My password also worked for 17 years!!!! There was NO need to make everyone change it. They could have put out a notice that if you were worried about it you can change it.

Mr. D (ratchetmaster)
72 454 El Camino turbo400 (now my x-wife's car!)
69 Olds 442 convertible M3
68 Camaro RS/SS 350 M4
1968 SS Camaro 572, Tremec 600, hotchkis, etc.
73 RS/LT/Z28 Camaro M4 for sale
2002 GMC Sierra Z71 SLT EXt.CAB
post #120 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 16, 3:35 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. D View Post
My password also worked for 17 years!!!! There was NO need to make everyone change it. They could have put out a notice that if you were worried about it you can change it.
BUT, the security breach had never happened before.
It really is no big deal to create a password that meets the criteria.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1333 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.