Attention - Password and Security Update - Page 5 - Chevelle Tech
Chevelles.com Site Discussion Website questions, feedback, comments, suggestions.

53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 16, 9:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Re: Attention - Password and Security Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
Nothing that was recently done caused the leak. As I said, it happened to a 3rd party plugin provider and it occurred back in February, though we were only made aware of it earlier this week.

We can revisit the yearly password expiration if it proves to be more of a hassle then is worth. Site vandalism is also a concern though usually it's more of an annoyance then anything, it's a preventable one.

Kevin
Actually logging in is more of a concern than having ads crammed down our throats.

'66 SS Chevelle
565 BBC Mamofied 300cc Ovals
4.11 12 bolt
Best e.t. to date [email protected] @115.31
1.315 60'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 16, 9:06 PM
Tech Team
J

I would like the special chars requirement removed.

Everything else is cool. I have my own mental algorithm to allow for a different pw for every site I visit.
post #63 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 16, 10:42 PM
Gold Founding Member
Ron

Garage

Made me think of this:

Ron
'87 Camaro IROC-Z L98
'69 300 Deluxe SS396

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Founding member of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #64 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 16, 5:58 AM
Senior Tech Team

New password requirements????

Isn't this a little bit ridiculous? I never had a problem with the "old" requirements. WTF?

Must be at least 10 characters
Must contain lower-case characters
Must contain upper-case characters
Must contain numbers
Must contain symbols

Mr. D likes this.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.

70 (SOLD)

post #65 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 16, 6:37 AM
Senior Tech Team
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Birdwell View Post
My new password reflects what I think of this chit.... Anyone who needs to get ahold of me knows my email and phone number. I'm fed up with this place.
I understand the frustration, Dave. Guess I got lucky and reset my password this morning with no problems. Please don't leave the site, though, you are a valuable asset here.

p.s. It was really great to see you last Saturday. Headed up to north again tomorrow morning to pick the girls up and bring them home. Hope the new door worked out OK.
post #66 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 16, 7:13 AM
Tech Team

I got the email w/ a new password! Went to link in email! Logged in! Filled in Change Password block as instructed!
"Save Changes" button is dim and does nothing! "Reset Fields" button just erases what I typed!
post #67 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 16, 7:35 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage
Re: New password requirements????

Seems like a lot of websites are doing it more and more too.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #68 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 16, 7:50 AM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

I can understand the need for SOME passwords that need to be expanded especially those beyond a simple 3 or 4 letters. What I had trouble with, is TC would not accept my new gobbledegook password (or my old one) until I finally copied and pasted it. Meanwhile, til I thought of trying that it was a lot of frustration and wasted time. Many choice words too.
Mr. D and Jerry Briggs like this.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15
[img]

post #69 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 16, 8:11 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

I have no problem with more complex passwords but what I do have a problem with is following the instructions in the E-Mail TC sent and now being presented with this:

. . . . . . . . . every time I log in! And, clicking the "X" will not close the window. I have to open another browser window, navigate to Team Chevelle, and close the original window I logged in on. Whats up with that? Tried going through the process again (and again) to no avail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TeamChevelleMessage_06-22-2016.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	369634  

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)
post #70 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 16, 8:40 AM
Tech Team
Joe

Garage

What are the going to do if they hack in this account? ask a stupid question, say something nasty about somebody's project or give somebody some bad advice? I can do that without a hackers help. If people are using the same account names and passwords on sites that have critical information, then shame on them. Making rules like this does not stop them from doing stupid things. it just means that instead of us using a password that we can remember, we now will have to write it down somewhere.

Joe

1949 Ford F-1, M-II IFS, 302 ford, C4, 9", tilt steering
1969 Malibu conv, LS1 w/magnuson SC, 4L60E
2004 Z06
post #71 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 16, 8:44 AM
Tech Team
Mike

So this is my new account I had to create because my old account had the password removed/reset, and I never received any email notification. You guys in charge ROCK! What a pain in the nutsack..

The bigger pain will be when we're forced to renew a password annually. WHY? I've had my same email account's and accounts on numerous forum's for years, and never got hacked.. FYI. I've been in the IT field in a very secure environment for 23 years. We were forced to do longer passwords a few months ago, and now need numerous one's for numerous accounts as they can't match... guess everything's heading that way now.
post #72 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 16, 9:37 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bates View Post
I have no problem with more complex passwords but what I do have a problem with is following the instructions in the E-Mail TC sent and now being presented with this:

. . . . . . . . . every time I log in! And, clicking the "X" will not close the window. I have to open another browser window, navigate to Team Chevelle, and close the original window I logged in on. Whats up with that? Tried going through the process again (and again) to no avail.
same here. only way to get off the screen was to refresh or close it. admin.....the x is not working

69 Chevelle Convert
post #73 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 16, 10:18 AM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

I guess I'll be done with this site when I can no longer easily find the email to copy and paste in order to log in.

This is just stupid.

A password is useless if you can't remember it.
Security is useless if you have to write it down.

Anything THAT secure that I can remember is already in use for my banking log-ins, and I WILL NOT use my banking passwords on a hobby site.

Good luck getting your advertising money after you've made the site too difficult to use.

Derek Kiefer, member of Minnesota's

-
post #74 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 16, 10:30 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Perhaps an explanation is warranted?????????
post #75 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 16, 11:28 AM
Levon

Unhappy Re: Attention - Password and Security Update

I don't usually chime in on these but this password one really gets me.
The password expected here is stronger than ANY of the financial institution ones I need.

I suspect that this is clearly a case of techies running amok. I guess when I forget my new password or the computer looses my stored one, I'll be gone.

This whole thing is akin to making it impossible to enter a store to buy something. People go elsewhere.

I've also argued in the past that the "Management of Change" here is not handled well. 0 to no real customer involvement and little outside testing.

Can't defend it but am getting tired of it. Hope my memory does not fail me

Levon Hovagimian
Team Chevelle #279
2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White (Bone Stock)
70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4 speed. SOLD
Current Engine VortecPro 460 (513 HP) Original is resting

1966 427 Corvette SOLD
1973 Camaro IHRA Hot Rod (LS-6 Auto)11.00 @121 (Chased a 10.99 or better) SOLD

Priddis Greens, Ab. Canada

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1130 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.