Attention - Password and Security Update - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Chevelles.com Site Discussion Website questions, feedback, comments, suggestions.

53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 16, 3:32 PM
Administrator

Garage
Re: Attention - Password and Security Update

My password required a reset every 180 days for as long as I can remember, no big deal really. Just did it and went on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 16, 3:51 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Garage

I have about 13 passwords between work and personal accounts. It seems like none of them can be the same. It is no big deal for you retired people to keep your two passwords updated. I sure hope you keep my car hobby info from getting hacked. Tell me how to delete my account. I will just read and not post.
Dave Birdwell likes this.
post #18 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 16, 8:54 PM
Team Member
Steve "Dirty"

Just wait. This conglomerate site stuff is a big problem. . Going thru this bs on yellowbullet with a 10 character name with upper case,lower case, numbers and signs. Anyways how would a hacker use my email that is on a car site? Im also on Mustang sites and got a notification for those too. I'm not going to renew them, Im going to let those laspe. Good Luck with all the sites you bought up Autoguide

68 SS427 Chevelle
5.3 LS 84mm Billet Turbo

55 Chevy Field car
"Another One Back On Jack Stands"

But you'll appreciate me soon. You're gonna be hangin' on for mercy when I get this sucker rollin'.

The internet is like the Bugs Bunny Show "AAH Could Be"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 16, 9:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
RonO.

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Looks like somebody is really getting to be an old grouch.
Set his password to expire every 7 days

Better just not advise these folks next time Helena.

Got a good laugh out of both you guys, no harm, no foul. I thought Dave's first post was hilarious and Dean's response was a good friendly poke, nothin' more. Personally, I'm "liking" the hell out of this thread so far!

1970-LS5, #28- Fathom Blue,TH400, original motor car.
1970- NOM, 496, M21, #48 Forest Green.
1972- Malibu, 350. TH350- original motor car, #43 Gulf Green.
post #20 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 16, 8:27 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

The irony in this is that the sites that need to be secure won't allow my simple password that I use here. Like Dave Birdwell, I've used the same password here since they were required - and there didn't use to even be any registration. If my account here is hacked it means nothing to me. But our comfort and convenience of participating here means nothing to people who are making decisions without our input.

Fwiw I participate in 6 Autoguide forums. Last night one of them just logged everyone out and sent them new temporary passwords.
Stokerboats likes this.

Mencken: “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”
post #21 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 16, 10:16 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
RonO.

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan F View Post
The irony in this is that the sites that need to be secure won't allow my simple password that I use here. Like Dave Birdwell, I've used the same password here since they were required - and there didn't use to even be any registration. If my account here is hacked it means nothing to me. But our comfort and convenience of participating here means nothing to people who are making decisions without our input.

Fwiw I participate in 6 Autoguide forums. Last night one of them just logged everyone out and sent them new temporary passwords.

Really? Give me your pass word and let's have some fun? Now don't get me wrong, don't want "your comfort and convenience" to be hindered with a once a year update. Good Gawd!

1970-LS5, #28- Fathom Blue,TH400, original motor car.
1970- NOM, 496, M21, #48 Forest Green.
1972- Malibu, 350. TH350- original motor car, #43 Gulf Green.
post #22 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 16, 3:34 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Test

Garage

Nothing that was recently done caused the leak. As I said, it happened to a 3rd party plugin provider and it occurred back in February, though we were only made aware of it earlier this week.

We can revisit the yearly password expiration if it proves to be more of a hassle then is worth. Site vandalism is also a concern though usually it's more of an annoyance then anything, it's a preventable one.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 16, 10:38 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chevelle Doctor

And now for some reason my phone won't stay logged in on the mobile site.

Authentication and pre-purchase inspection service still available. PM me for more information.

Still looking for that elusive 76 Nova SS.
People who have nothing better to do than b!tch about signatures need to get a life.

70 Chevelle L78/M21
10 Avalanche LT 1500 4wd
06 Equinox
post #24 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 16, 4:44 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

Hacker steals 45 million accounts from hundreds of car, tech, sports forums | ZDNet

having the same username/password on hobby type sites and on financial sites is just asking for it. Nothing new here.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #25 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 16, 7:43 AM
Tech Team
grr

The whole changing password thing isn't a big deal if you just go to one or two sites. It becomes a problem when you visit multiple sites for both work and play.

I am a design engineer who goes to multiple commercial manufacturer sites on a daily basis to download their products to use on our machines.

First off you are required to register on these commercial sites to be able to download their product and all require a password. Right now, most only require a simple password, but some are changing over and going to require you to use a more complex password, which mixes things up a bit.

I used to use the same password for all of the work and play sites because I am not smart enough to remember different passwords for each and every site I've ever registered on and I am not sure anyone else is either. Commercial sites I use for work required my works physical address and work "E" mail address, but nothing personal. The funny thing is, the car sites and most other hobby forums require your birthdate and location which allows hackers to come closer to getting more personal info from you. Some of the forums brought this upon themselves.

Like Tom and Dave, it wouldn't mean much to me if someone hacked my TC account because I use separate "E mail accounts for personal, Ebay, Work and forums. Don't get me wrong, it would be a headache, but not the end of the world and I'd just lose "E" mails which probably should have been deleted 5 years ago

The thing is, where do we store all of the new passwords? Not on a computer, I hope. I am sure everyone didn't register on all of their hobby or work forums on the same day. So, every 365 days you are required to change your password on a forum. Lets say I am registered on 30 different forums/sites for both work and play (actually more). This means I will be changing some password every 10 days or less. Some sites require a 'special character' while some don't allow them at all.

Most everyone are registered and permanently logged onto several sites, but visit just a couple on a daily basis. Once the new password requirements begin kicking in for these sites, I think you'll be seeing fewer registered users visiting these types of sites. While I am registered and logged into the Yellow Bullet forum, I don't post on there very often. I'll now just go to the forum to read or look for things without logging in anymore.

Once hobby sites begin making things too difficult for people log into or even visit a site, the general public will not even bother to see what you have to offer. The same goes for the owners of this site deciding they can 'automatically' charge your card when it is time to renew, without asking first. I used to be a paid member, but after they tried to take money from me without permission, I feel the morals of the company (not members) aren't inline with mine. I would never, ever reach into someones pocket without permission....

Just my .02...grr
post #26 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 16, 8:20 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Birdwell View Post
Dean, that would be one sure way of eliminating a valuable source of helpful information. It's pretty sad, the direction this website is going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Birdwell View Post
And now for some reason my phone won't stay logged in on the mobile site.
It may be easier for people to just come over your house.

Mike

My

AACA Senior Grand National
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
post #27 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 16, 11:05 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan F View Post
Here's the temporary password they sent me: 22qLH9WgLw' ( yes the apostrophe was required)

Here were the password requirements:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	368098  
mino65 likes this.

Mencken: “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”
post #28 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 16, 11:25 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Can I just go in and manually reset my password to comply with this?

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #29 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 16, 12:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
& Administrator

Is the explaination notice not showing up at the top of each page?

Here it is for those not seeing it:

Quote:
Hello Everyone, We wanted to give you an update on the reset password emails that went out the other day. Due to the high volume of emails going out and some service providers blocking them as spam, users have either been getting them late, or not at all. It may have been moved to your spam folder, check to see if it is located there. If you have not received your password reset email please use the password reset function “forgot password”. These emails will go through a paid provider and should show up instantly. To do so just go to log in >> once it redirects you click forgot password >> follow the steps provided. If you do not remember the email address associated with your account you can use the Contact Us tab at the bottom of the page to email us for assistance. Please select the “other” option and add subject “security password issues” We apologize for any disruption this has caused to your forum experience.Original post for reference : https://www.chevelles.com/forums/67-c...ty-update.html
post #30 of 206 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 16, 12:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
terry

It showed up on mine today, but I still am logged in under my old password...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1131 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.