We Are Moving! - Chevelle Tech
Chevelles.com Site Discussion Website questions, feedback, comments, suggestions.

46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 19, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Test

Garage
We Are Moving!

Dear chevelles.com Community Members,
Over the past year, there have been updates to your community environment that have introduced challenges in usability and performance. We sincerely apologize if you have been negatively impacted. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface and site performance has revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software on the site. Once we started looking at how to address these issues, it became clear that we needed to determine how to fix the underlying problems.
We needed to improve user experience, site speed, and overall performance, all while providing a secure environment for you to interact with your community. For the past few months, we have been actively seeking a resolution to these issues.

We are excited to announce that we are upgrading your site!! We have been working with a design and product development team that has enhanced Xenforo software to provide a modern and much better-performing platform. Our goal is to deliver an experience that better fits the current and growing long term needs of your community.
The new platform is designed for efficiency, stability, and to be user-friendly across all devices, including mobile. More time can be spent engaging, sharing, and contributing to your favorite community no matter where you are!
This is just the first stage of the new platform and we look forward to hearing your feedback as we make regular and timely improvements.
Thank you for all your support!
~ Community Support

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 19, 4:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Re: We Are Moving!

Just ,,, Do not get toooooo high tech. I am dumber than a box of rocks!
Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 19, 7:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinls5 View Post
Just ,,, Do not get toooooo high tech. I am dumber than a box of rocks!
Bob
Me, too!
DUKE 69 likes this.

66 Malibu

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 19, 9:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Any timeframe to when this “move” will happen?
davewho1 likes this.

Team Chevelle Member (19 years and counting...
)

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 19, 6:42 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

My comment from this thread.
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/67-...re-update.html
I'm going out on a limb here and predicting massive issues, lost PMs, and most people will be upset with the changes. This just happened to another forum I am on, and it is totally different look and feel, all setup for phone viewing. And now it has been getting spammed with Chinese posts or something else Asian. I suspect "Facebook authentication" whatever that is.
I get security updates like forcing https and stuff like that, but what is changing, and why?

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 19, 6:48 AM
Tech Team

Garage

yep, this site rocks as it is. Love the old classic look and the fear of getting hacked is not there. Why change this. Up date security instead. Got the feeling allot wont participate if it's too complicated or to much of a change.
My opinion.......
Maybe it's all about the money? Everything usually is.........

66 SS-396/425 - M22 -3:73 -12 bolt
USN-SSBN 645-G
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 19, 7:30 AM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

I agree.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Go ahead and fix bugs, even migrate the backend of the site to a new infrastructure - but don't change a UI that is working rather well just for the sake of making something "modern" or "contemporary".

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd66k20 View Post
yep, this site rocks as it is. Love the old classic look and the fear of getting hacked is not there. Why change this. Up date security instead. Got the feeling allot wont participate if it's too complicated or to much of a change.
My opinion.......
Maybe it's all about the money? Everything usually is.........
DUKE 69 and blm like this.

1972 Chevelle, 454, 2004r, 4.10
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 19, 8:28 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Well, we dont see too many problems now, so we all hope it continues to be a relatively flawless and easy-to-use sight. Thank you for the update.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 19, 9:06 AM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

One of the greatest values of this site is the data to be found in past posts. Do not eliminate the database of past posts.
LeoP, davewho1, GSMCGSMC and 7 others like this.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 19, 10:03 AM
Tech Team
Rick

Yes, please don't lose old posts. They are a gold mine.

Also - please retain support for Tapatalk. This helps me stay in touch during the day on my phone.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 19, 10:28 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

If the underlying software is going to change, it takes more work to conserve history than it's commercially worth. Don't be surprised that the only thing you get to keep is your username and have to have a new 30 character password that is crosslinked to your bank account or credit card.

Unfortunately the site is not operated by hobbiest, such as Al or Dale M (on his old forum) who were committed to serving us. We're being data mined for their purposes and compromises will be made.

I predict doom and hope I'm wrong.

Luddite signing off.

Mencken: “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 19, 10:42 AM
Tech Team

Garage

Maybe there is a profit motive in the old posts, as it is a wealth of knowledge.
Would you pay for that information?

66 SS-396/425 - M22 -3:73 -12 bolt
USN-SSBN 645-G
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 19, 10:50 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
& Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan F View Post
I predict doom and hope I'm wrong.

I hope your wrong too.
I hope the WayBack machine does a site capture prior to the upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd66k20 View Post
Maybe there is a profit motive in the old posts, as it is a wealth of knowledge.
Would you pay for that information?

Fine by me if it's a free perk for the Premium Users.

Last edited by Mike; Aug 10th, 19 at 11:07 AM.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 19, 11:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
& Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
And now it has been getting spammed with Chinese posts or something else Asian. I suspect "Facebook authentication" whatever that is.

Yes ,I'm seeing a lot more spam from overseas since the Facebook Authentications were implemented.
I don't see that going away as AG/VS sees it as an increase in users (read revenue).
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 19, 11:09 AM
Tech Team
Greg

WOW, some of you are negative nannies must be fun at a party. It’s a free site what do I care the owners do to it, there is already lots of ads when you scroll through the post so that will not change it’s in your face now. The profit for the owners I get it, as far as the owners of the site being car guys I hope they are computer guys because they are running an internet business. Computer guys know what is best for computers if an upgrade is required then an upgrade is required. No body on this site would run tires with the wires showing they would have been replace years ago that analogy’s works for this site too. The site is old and the tires need to be replace but this replacement is way more complicated then some 50 year old car.

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in