We Are Moving! - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Chevelles.com Site Discussion Website questions, feedback, comments, suggestions.

46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 19, 11:42 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage
Re: We Are Moving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grock-co View Post
WOW, some of you are negative nannies must be fun at a party. Itís a free site what do I care the owners do to it, there is already lots of ads when you scroll through the post so that will not change itís in your face now. The profit for the owners I get it, as far as the owners of the site being car guys I hope they are computer guys because they are running an internet business. Computer guys know what is best for computers if an upgrade is required then an upgrade is required. No body on this site would run tires with the wires showing they would have been replace years ago that analogyís works for this site too. The site is old and the tires need to be replace but this replacement is way more complicated then some 50 year old car.
I'll pick up the mantra for "negative nannies". There are many of us here who have been here over 20 years and some going on 25 years back to the origins of this site. There is a relatively invisible group of people here that have traveled all over the country to meet up with each other. There have been countless acts of selflessness that have occurred because of this site.
We built up an awesome community that was inclusive. We became a victim of our own success. Our reward is to become a victim of a corporation that is more interested in eyes than the conserving the spirit of what made this site endearing to us. I've known more people that have left this site than is acceptable. Sure we're going to feel betrayed because the site's owner hasn't been committed to maintaining it - username lockouts and classified advertising are just two examples. No threat, just facts.

I am easy to get along with and will hope for the best while fearing the worst. What would convince me we are getting the best is a dedicated person responsible for site development with regular interaction with the users (I can't really call us members anymore).

And unless it is unclear, my comments have nothing to do with the volunteer administrators and moderators, whose work here has been laudable.

Mencken: ďThe whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.Ē
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 19, 11:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
& Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grock-co View Post
WOW, some of you are negative nannies must be fun at a party. Itís a free site what do I care the owners do to it, there is already lots of ads when you scroll through the post so that will not change itís in your face now. The profit for the owners I get it, as far as the owners of the site being car guys I hope they are computer guys because they are running an internet business. Computer guys know what is best for computers if an upgrade is required then an upgrade is required. No body on this site would run tires with the wires showing they would have been replace years ago that analogyís works for this site too. The site is old and the tires need to be replace but this replacement is way more complicated then some 50 year old car.

The tires were changed on 8/13/18 and again on 3/18/19.
Both time caused some serious issues.

Would think we'd be getting better mileage.
davewho1 and VinceS427bb like this.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 19, 1:09 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
The tires were changed on 8/13/18 and again on 3/18/19.
Both time caused some serious issues.

Would think we'd be getting better mileage.

Well, maybe it will be better for all (or at least just as good) we'll have to give it a chance and see.

One thing that bugs me is the owners care more about $ per click and $ from vendors than they do about fixing all the stuff that they broke when they took over.

Even if a bunch more of us do leave, they can still boast x numbers still exist to their advertisers and they'll never know that the majority are long gone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 19, 5:41 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Perhaps it may go off without a hitch and be better...

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 19, 10:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Alan F. Great response. Thanks
Alan F likes this.

Team Chevelle Member (19 years and counting...
)

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 19, 11:55 AM
Team Member

Whoever runs the site now can do whatever they want. If it means me using the delete button on ads more often so be it.
It would be a shame to lose the archives but I guess it will eventually be rebuilt as people will just ask those same questions again and new threads will be started and eventually archived under the new system.
My fear would be to lose the members who answered those questions the first time around. There are thousands of years experience around the table here. Car related and not. Threads on hvac stuff, plumbing, tiling, roofing, construction, various hobbies, Hell even stock trading.

I still have to sift through it all because all thread answerers are not always 100% in agreement, but generally if I have a choice of some clown on utube, someone trying to sell me something on google searches, or a fellow car enthusiast that has 20-50 years trade experience and has absolutely no reason to bull**** me, then I will take that option most times. So I hope you guys stick around and give this new platform a chance.
DUKE 69 and davewho1 like this.

Dunc

'Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you' - unknown
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 8:03 AM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Good luck with the move, but I hope the 11,000+ thread subscriptions I have don't go to the bit bucket. With the traffic we have, it should be reasonable to build a case for lots of server capacity, plus storage costs have come down so much over the years. Just sayin...

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

TC Gold #120

post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 12:49 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

See if you can export/backup your PMs if they are important to you.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in