Just picked up a 1966 Beaumont parts car - Chevelle Tech
Beaumonts & Canadian Built

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 16, 8:14 PM Thread Starter

Just picked up a 1966 Beaumont parts car

So I picked up a parts car today and just for fun started to decode the vin. It's 1 of 899 6 cylinder 2 door sedans that came with bucket seats, vinyl top and 2 speed power glide transmission. The only thing I am struggling with is the paint. Beside paint it has J, can't find anything on a J code. Any help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 16, 9:38 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1
Re: Just picked up a 1966 Beaumont parts car

Can you post a photo of the trim tag?

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 16, 9:51 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

For 1966 the J-code on a Beaumont or Canadian Chevelle represents Cypress Green, a dark green that carried over from 1965.

Yes, post the trim tag. If it is original, the presence of bucket seats means that the car would be a Sport Deluxe. Your v.i.n. probably starts with 673517 which would mean 1966 Beaumont Custom 6-cyl Sport Coupe. There will be the odd option code on the trim tag (I'd expect M35 & A51 to be there).
I'd love to see some pics of what you bought. The lower bodyside moldings on a Sport Deluxe are hard to find now. Also the console should have a block-off for where the clock would go. 899 is the total # of 66 Beaumont Custom 6-cyl Sport Coupes; Sport Deluxe would be a small fraction of those, so rare car!

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

TC Gold #120

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 16, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Here she is, it was bought as a parts car for my 67 Chevelle and it looks like it's been picked apart for a few years now. It came with doors, fenders, hood, bumpers, it needs floors though and obviously more work that the car is worth to save. It's a shame, I looked at that cypress green with the black top and it was a very sharp car. i kinda dug the 6 cylinder too, there's a few 230s for sale around me for $150 running too which just gets you thinking...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1473130365392.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	387129   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1473130386793.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	387137   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1473130418091.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	387145  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 16, 11:56 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

That would have been a really nice car when it was new. The sixes were very popular, but for a Sport Deluxe most took a 283. Typically back when that car was new, only cheapskates bought sixes for the most part. A vinyl roof cover was a frill for somebody going for the six, but I do remember a friend's mother used to own a nice 66 Beaumont Custom coupe in Marina Blue with a black vinyl roof, a 230 six, Powerglide, plus power steering and power brakes which were odd on a 6 for the time. The car was scrapped in 1987 because the floors and frame went soft, although it had been a clean and well kept car all along. Blame the rust belt. It was her year round driver. The owner passed away in 1989.

The back bumper with the round backup light cutouts, and especially the backup lights with mounting brackets / tabs are a rare find and would be worth something to a 66 Beaumont owner.

The car would kind of be like my 67 Chevelle. Mine is Canadian-built in the 1967-version J-code Verde Green. Take a look at the link in my signature line if you want to see it.

"The more you know,

TC Gold #120

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 16, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

That's a nice Chevelle, I've never seen that green colour before but I like it. It's not very common I take it, is it original to your Chevelle?

The car is literally full or parts and the trunk is packed too. I'm going to practice painting/welding/body work on this car before it moves on. I bought the car for scrap price and have already taken a few pieces off that I needed for my Chevelle (rear bench seat frame and trunk torsion bars) and I'm sure I'll get a couple other things but it's always sad to see a car like this at the end of the line. It has a 350 too but overall the car is a mess. I know it has a lot of trim pieces too and I know it has the front bumper but I'm not sure about the rear bumper. I've already sold the hood and the same guy wants to come back for the rocker mouldings. What is a fair price for those? I was thinking $50.00 as I know they aren't perfect. Are there any other pieces I should save before it gets hauled off? The tail light housings? It has good glass, maybe the rad cradle? The gauges/console is long gone and the front seats aren't original.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 16, 11:42 AM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

I would try to save any of the unique Beaumont trim (emblems, anodized bodyside moldings, drip rails (repros don't fit as nice as originals), tail lights & rear fender caps, trunk lid if you have the space, master cylinder even though it is a single reservoir, steering wheel if it is salvageable, jack including base, J-hook & wing nut). A big eared AC-15 rad cap is a desirable item even if it appears slightly rusty. Do you still have the original rad with the finger guard? If the finger guard is decent I am looking for one myself.
$50 for the rocker moldings is fair if they aren't damaged and can be polished, but if you get $25, well a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush if you know what I mean.

Really it is nice to keep the whole car and break it down for parts if you have the space (that is always the big consideration). There are so many little parts that aren't reproduced, so many obscure little things that don't have much demand but prove to be tough to locate when you need them. Even original bolts & fasteners are desirable. How are the rear headliner muffs? Also grab the Owners Manual and any other documentation, plus the vinyl pouch they came in.

The rocker panels don't look like they are too bad. Stuff like that and the door jambs can be used in conjunction with aftermarket quarters to rebuild into something usable for someone. Be like Dominion Auto Wreckers and sawzall it into usable sections.

I have held onto stuff for decades, finally throwing it away after all those years, only to need it 2 weeks later (literally).

As an aside, what part of the country are you in?

"The more you know,

TC Gold #120

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 16, 2:21 PM Thread Starter

Ontario Canada, I'm about 25 minutes from Kitchener just outside a town called Stratford. Tonight I'm going to go through the car and see what all is there. I only bought the car for the rear bench seat, everything else is just a bonus
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 16, 3:02 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

I have been to the Stratford Festival Theater twice this summer and have traveled on some of the rural roads out that way. Small world...

"The more you know,

TC Gold #120

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 16, 10:23 PM
Senior Tech Team

Rare car... Too bad it's not worth more and can be restored! There's probably only a handful of 6 cyl SDs in existence. My wife's uncle is in Clifford, aunt in Hanover...not too far either?

ak
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 16, 8:03 PM Thread Starter

I didn't get the correct ownership with the car so that kinda sinks that ship. Hanover isn't too far, probably about an hour and a half away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1121 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.