Is it a Pontiac or not? - Chevelle Tech
Beaumonts & Canadian Built

54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 09, 2:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Is it a Pontiac or not?

These has always been an argument as to weather a Beaumont is a Pontiac or not. I just went and had a look at a wrecked 69 to see if there was still a horn ring in it and low and behold as plain as the nose on my face ( And I got a honker!!) it says Beaumont on the glove box door, and right above it imprinted into the dash it says PONTIAC. I know it has also been mentioned that no where does the word Pontiac appear on a Beaumont but it does on this one. I did not have a camera with me but if anyone would like to see it I will gladly go back there later in the day and get a picture

Terry

ACES # 5021
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 09, 6:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Re: Is it a Pontiac or not?

Here is a couple of pictures I took today. I have a picture of the whole car as well but for some reason it will not upload. You can clearly see Beaumont on the glove box and Pontiac on the dash. I also took a picture of the cowl tag.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0150.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	19512   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0149.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	19513  

Terry

ACES # 5021
post #3 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 09, 6:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
& Administrator

post #4 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 09, 7:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

I don't get your point Mike. If you will look at the other thread, you will see that they are saying that there was never a Pontiac name planted onto a Beaumont. I found one that I feel proves that statement incorrect They are called Pontiacs all over the internet.

Terry

ACES # 5021
post #5 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 09, 8:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
& Administrator

Thought you were asking if the Beaumont was a Pontiac.
There parts were listed in the Pontiac Parts Catalog that I had ,figured they were a Pontiac.
post #6 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 09, 8:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
James

I have never seen a Beaumont with the word Pontiac on it. The one you show may have had the dash swapped at some time in it's life. Beaumonth used LeMans/GTO dashes. I'll post this on the Canadian Poncho site and see what their take on it is. There are several 69 Beaumont owners there.
James
GLHS60 likes this.

1968 Beaumont SD396
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1968 El Camino
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ACES #7986
post #7 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 09, 9:28 PM
Tech Team

Agreed, a Beaumont has never been a Pontiac. It was sold through Pontiac dealers but none of the cars or literature ever actually had the word "Pontiac" on it. That dash pad has likely been replaced or at least the emblem from a Lemans.

It is true that Beaumonts and Acadians are called Pontiacs everywhere you look but they have never actually been physically labeled as such.
GLHS60 likes this.
post #8 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 09, 9:46 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Okay guys here is the take on this car from information that I can gather. This car was brought here new to Port Hardy in 1969. Port Hardy is a small town of less than 5000 people and I know 2 people that remember this car when it was new. The original owner passed it down to his son who thrashed it and sold it to his friend. This 3rd owner stored it at a very good friend of mines house, where it sat for years until it rusted to the point of no return. All indications are that this car was never wrecked to the point of needing a new dash installed. This is not an emblem Carl. It is embossed into the dash like you put a brand on the arse of a cow! LOL

Terry

ACES # 5021
post #9 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 09, 10:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
& Administrator

Terry ,have you tried for a GM Restoration pack to see what it'll tell you?

http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/shopping/parts/vintage
post #10 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 09, 10:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Scott

In late 68 cars. Some Chevelles got Buick and even some Olds/Pontiac interiors. I believe due to a strike. Could it be posible that the same happened with some Bea's. If they ran out of the proper dash pads, Just grab a Pontiac pad and move on....

SCOTT
TC #3238
ACES #7490

To secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government
The Declaration of Independence
post #11 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 09, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Terry ,have you tried for a GM Restoration pack to see what it'll tell you?

http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/shopping/parts/vintage
No I haven't Mike. That costs money and I am only posting this info and pictures for information purposes. I thought the Beaumont enthusiasts might like to see it. I can also get the tag information if anyone wants it. I took a picture of the trim tag but it did not turn out very well and it tokk me half a friken hour to figure out how to get the two pictures that I did get loaded!

Terry

ACES # 5021
post #12 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 09, 12:33 AM
Tech Team

The GM documents even call Beaumonts and Acadians a Pontiac but that is incorrect. Nowhere on or in the owners manual does it say Pontiac. Nowhere on or in the parts books for Beaumonts or Acadians does it say Pontiac. Nowhere on any of the factory advertising or sales literature is the name Pontiac ever mentioned.

People mistakenly think they are Pontiacs because they were sold at Pontiac dealers.

Some people get very uptight about whether or not Beaumonts and Acadians are Pontiacs. I really couldn't care if they are or not, we know they just are unique. I owned my Acadian for close to 20 years before I realized it was not actually a Pontiac!
GLHS60 likes this.
post #13 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 09, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl S View Post
The GM documents even call Beaumonts and Acadians a Pontiac but that is incorrect. Nowhere on or in the owners manual does it say Pontiac. Nowhere on or in the parts books for Beaumonts or Acadians does it say Pontiac. Nowhere on any of the factory advertising or sales literature is the name Pontiac ever mentioned.

People mistakenly think they are Pontiacs because they were sold at Pontiac dealers.

Some people get very uptight about whether or not Beaumonts and Acadians are Pontiacs. I really couldn't care if they are or not, we know they just are unique. I owned my Acadian for close to 20 years before I realized it was not actually a Pontiac!
So how did this one get Pontiac on the dash when we can trace it's history to where we are almost 100% sure it has never been replaced? I am real curious as to what they say if James posts it on the Poncho Site.

Terry

ACES # 5021
post #14 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 09, 1:39 PM
Senior Tech Team

It's a case of 'fuzzy memory'... that dash is off a tempest or other car, who knows why they needed to replace it at sometime, 40 years has passed... just the like the 66ss 427 chevelle on another thread that is claimed to be original and other oddities that come up from time to time... I didnt think people were modifying these cars at such an early age, but you see pics of less than year old beaumonts with chevy cross flags on the fenders (thats a common one), there was one running around here with GTO emblems on it, others put pontiac rally IIs on them... people did funky stuff to these cars in the 70's and 80s...

i used to call my car a pontiac beaumont for almost 20 years, but since i've seen the research and documentation on the topic, my informed opinion has now changed to it being 'just' a beaumont... doesnt matter to me... but for all the arguments that say its a pontiac, there's no documention from the era that states it, and tonnes that say otherwise... and the practical sense that if gm wanted it to be a pontiac they would have said so...why would a company not use an existing brand to sell a new product?

ak
GLHS60 likes this.
post #15 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 09, 2:18 PM
Tech Team

I guess it's not impossible that it had the wrong dash pad put on it when new (as evidenced by the Acadians labelled Chevette and the Chev pickups labeled GMC when I worked at the Pontiac dealership) but that is not very likely.

We can label our Beaumonts and Acadians as Pontiacs if we like but they still aren't Pontiacs even though they are commonly called such.
GLHS60 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1162 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.