Is it a Pontiac or not? - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Beaumonts & Canadian Built

54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 09, 12:05 PM

Smile Re: Is it a Pontiac or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcice View Post
Tom, I took those pictures and I can assure you it is embossed into the dash as I said. It is not a " sticky tape" kind of thing as you suggest! Don't you ever accuse me of ever being dishonest!
Terry, you totally missunderstood my post. No need to get defensive. I never accused you of being dishonest.

The reference to two-sided tape was merely to further clarrify the type of emblem I was talking about. I can clearly see that the one in your photo is "embossed" in the dash.
It does not look like the type of badging attachment that GM would employ on any 1960s car to me. Most everything I can think of for that period was attached or molded like an 'outie bellie button'. Just like the Beaumont emblem on the glovebox.
I don't think it's out of the question that someone at one point in this car's 40 year life, removed the dashpad and craftily made a window for a Pontiac badge. That doesn't mean they were being dishonest either. People do all kinds of thing's to add character to their cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 09, 6:17 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Is it a Pontiac or not?

I think we solved that dash issue a while back, its off a 72 lemans... not original to the car... my car has been called "some kind of mopar product" at the Canton, SD car show... if you own a Beaumont you develop a bit of thick skin around people not knowing!hahaha! I also had to choose between being in the 'chevelle' or 'gto' class...i picked chevelle!

ak

p.s. you know i hear people saying that nobody would have been cloning these cars way back when... but my car was painted in 1972, the bodyman also had another 67 beaumont, originally butternut yellow, 327, PG, custom model, and in pictures from '72 he already painted it white, black vinyl top, put SD emblems and a BBC in it!! by the mid 80's that same car was painted black and had A/C dash installed (never available in a beaumont! it was from a 67 lemans)
GLHS60 likes this.
post #48 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 09, 8:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Do you have any pictures of the whole dash?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #49 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 09, 1:35 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

I've owned quite a few Pontiacs in my day -- 68 GTO, 66 LeMans, conv., 71 LeMans, and a 77 Can Am and that Pontiac emblem in the dash sure like it came from the 70's era. Regardless of whether that's original or not, it sure does LOOK like a factory produced dash, so if sometime over the years someone did pull the dash and do it, they did a damn good job! I don't believe I've ever seen a Beaumont or Acadian in person or I would have remembered, but my thinking is that it's really just a GM product that was sold mostly if not all thru Pontiac dealerships, so that's why many people consider it a Pontiac. This post leaves me to think that the answer is probably one that we'll never know for sure.........
Maybe Jim Wangers, the GTO guru and long time Pontiac exec would know. 64elkynss

Yeah, we're runnin' a little bit hot tonight,
I can barely see the road from the heat comin' off,
You know what I'm sayin',
Ahh, you reach down, put it between my legs 'n
ease the seat back,
She's runnin', I'm flyin',
Right behind in the rear view mirror now,
Got the fearin', power steerin',
Pistons poppin', ain't no stoppin' now,
PANAMA!
post #50 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 09, 1:44 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway Star View Post
That isn't a Pontiac OR Chevy, it is a GM mix-breed.
this is the way I think too.
Combined with a whole bunch of "who cares, just drive".

67' Beaumont - "the driving project"
06' Subaru STi - "the fast car"
post #51 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 09, 8:38 PM
Senior Tech Team

Yup, a mix just breeds out the weaknesses and develops a healthier sample!! I'd call it a GM Beaumont... pretty much a chevelle, with its great powertrain, but with a way nicer dash and some real chrome!

ak
post #52 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 09, 3:54 PM
Tech Team
Steve

^
I'm with you, man.
I had a pic of the Edelbrock 67' Chevelle the other day while I was working on the Beau. Both are awesome cars, but I prefer the Beau for sheer style and rarity.

That said, my favorite is still the 66' Chevelle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
Do you have any pictures of the whole dash?
Here you go.

post #53 of 313 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 09, 8:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypa View Post
this is the way I think too.
Combined with a whole bunch of "who cares, just drive".

the lower half sure looks like a pontiac symbol with a hint of Canada on top...

post #54 of 313 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 09, 12:00 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
the lower half sure looks like a pontiac symbol with a hint of Canada on top...
It sure does.
I had the car at a buddy's alignment shop the other day and there was a G8 in the next bay. I looked over at the Pontiac emblem, and could see some family resemblance, with the maple leaf addition on the Beaumont.

It's a pretty cool emblem design, and damn near impossible to find.

post #55 of 313 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 09, 9:27 AM
Tech Team
Wes

I'll add my 2 cents

Several years ago I tried to track this question down, and I cannot remember where I found this, but

PRIOR to late '66, early '67, ACADIAN was a separate division of GM Canada - same as Pontiac, Chevrolet, Buick etc. The Acadian cars were sold & serviced through the Pontiac dealership network. (I believe Pontiac, Buick, Acadian & GMC trucks were sold by the same dealer network. Chev-Olds through a separate dealer network.

In late '66/early'67, GM folded Acadian motor division and rolled the Beaumont into the PONTIAC motor division. Pontiac continued to develop & market the Beaumont for a couple years in Canada.

As I understand it, the actual "Acadian" car - which was the Canadian version of the Nova - disappeared after Acadian was folded into Pontiac.

If I find the reference to the above, I will post it.

Wes
post #56 of 313 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 09, 10:27 PM
Tech Team
Wes

Correction to the above - and apologies to any Acadian owners..

I was wrong, apparently the Nova-equivalents were produced after Beaumonts became Pontiacs - not sure of the last year for Acadians, but I undedrstand it was after 1967.

I just looked at some GM Canada documentation for a '66 Beaumont SD 396. It lists the car as being a 1966 Pontiac Beaumont Sport Deluxe 396.

I have a '66 SD will all the original documents. Nowhere does it say "Pontiac", only "Acadian" Beaumont.

Hmmm

Sorry for the wrong info.
Wes
post #57 of 313 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 09, 10:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
James

I think 1971 was the last year for the Acadians.
James

1968 Beaumont SD396

1968 El Camino

ACES #7986
post #58 of 313 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 09, 2:45 PM
Senior Tech Team

Hi Wes, I would think that there might be something there in terms of beaumonts being under some other banner when they split from acadian in 66... Beaumont was 4 years 66-69 in canada, and till '71 in chile (using a 69)

One thing to keep in mind that if the documents that you are refering to are the GM Vintage Vehicle docs that state Pontiac, that they admit that they put that on there, even though there is no historical documentation stating its a pontiac, but he puts it on his memo because he thinks most people think its a pontiac...

ak
post #59 of 313 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 09, 7:57 PM
Tech Team
Wes

ak

Thanks for that - just as you suspected, I was reading it off of a GM Canada Vintage Vehicle document, so maybe it doesn't mean anything. I am pretty sure my car was an Acadian Beaumont and NOT a Pontiac Beaumont - though it really doesn't make much difference.

I thought that some of the early Acadian, Nova-equivalents, were actually labelled Beaumonts (pre-'64). Then in 1964 Beaumont was used for the Chevelle-based car, and the Nova-based car became simply an Acadian, or a Canso. Not sure if the Canso was a specific model of the Acadian or if all Nova-based Acadians were Canso's.

You would think the history would be pretty well known, but I hear lots of versions.

Thanks
Wes
post #60 of 313 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 09, 8:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Why cant they just admit it is or isnt?

I cant imagine a VINTAGE FACTUAL Dcoument would have information on it like that...

"becasue people thought it was???"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1162 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.