54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 09, 2:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Re: Is it a Pontiac or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl S View Post
The GM documents even call Beaumonts and Acadians a Pontiac but that is incorrect. Nowhere on or in the owners manual does it say Pontiac. Nowhere on or in the parts books for Beaumonts or Acadians does it say Pontiac. Nowhere on any of the factory advertising or sales literature is the name Pontiac ever mentioned.
GM documents call them Pontiacs...thats enough for me...regardless if the other books fail to mention...

Quote:
People mistakenly think they are Pontiacs because they were sold at Pontiac dealers.
More proof

Quote:
Some people get very uptight about whether or not Beaumonts and Acadians are Pontiacs. I really couldn't care if they are or not, we know they just are unique. I owned my Acadian for close to 20 years before I realized it was not actually a Pontiac!
Instead of trying to prove it isnt a Pontiac why not prove what it is...

Alas, here is an ebay auction that does show a dashpad would fit...therefore the dashpad replacement is possible as stated above...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-...1%7C240%3A1318

and then I found this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/67-PO...1%7C240%3A1318

and this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/69-Be...4506.m20.l1116

Beaumont=Pontiac.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 09, 3:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

I have searched 1969 GTO dash, Lemans dash, and Tempest dash and can not see the word Pontiac on any of the original or on the reprodution dashs. This could not have been added to the dash after is was installed in the car because as I said earlier, it is embossed right into the padded material. It would have had to ben done at the time the padded dash was made. The letters stand up in that indentation and are flush with the dash. I am almost 100 percent certain that this is the original dash to this car. So yes, I am still confused.

Terry

ACES # 5021
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #18 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 09, 4:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Here is another little head scratcher for you. I know that in 1962, or maybe even earlier, Canadian Pontiacs had Maple Leafs as part of the Canadian identification. But... the Maple Leaf was not on the Canadian flag until February of 1965.

Terry

ACES # 5021
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

post #19 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 09, 6:18 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead View Post

Beaumont=Pontiac.
I should have explained a bit differently. The pictures below will illustrate better what I want to say. Acadian dealers were almost always, if not always Pontiac dealers as well. However, I am not able to prove that all Pontiac dealers were Acadian dealers.

Here is an Acadian manual and a Nova manual, both from Canadian cars. Notice what it says on the back. For the Nova it's at your Cheverolet dealer, and the Acadian it's at the Acadian dealer, not the Pontiac dealer. I don't have copies of the Beaumont and Chevelle manuals but it's the same as Acadian as far as I've ever seen.

GLHS60 likes this.
post #20 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 09, 8:06 PM
Team Member
Paul

Thumbs up Re: Is it a Pontiac or not?

I think this sums it up. Definately a Pontiac.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	acadain.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	19557  
post #21 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 09, 10:55 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

I remember seeing a Canadian GM ad in a 1965 Reader's Digest. It listed the GM divisions, Chevrolet, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick, Acadian,...

They did not list the models in that ad, they seemed to list the divisions, and Acadian was on the list. Acadian was a marque unto itself, at least as late as 1965. The A-body Beaumont was still considered an Acadian (check out the nameplates on one sometime).
For 1966 the Beaumont was no longer an Acadian. GM didn't seem to really belabor the marketing of the Acadian, Beaumont and Canadian Pontiacs - people kind of assumed they were Pontiacs sold at Pontiac dealers in Canada in place of the true blue-blood Pontiacs. A '65 Beaumont Sport Deluxe or an Acadian Sport Deluxe wore the same spinner wheelcovers as the ones that were sometimes found on the Tempest / Lemans / GTO, but they were blank where the nameplate would go, just like the corporate wire wheelcovers on any Canadian Pontiac / Acadian / Beaumont. It seems they never quite resolved it and left it up to assumption. Maybe they were trying to stir up controversy for those that were paying attention, just like the Beatles with all the "Paul is dead" inferences back in the sixties. Na...

I had seen George Zappora write that "everybody knew that Beaumonts were Pontiacs...". That does not make it official in my mind, but the fact that all were under the 7th GM division, Pontiac Canada does indeed suggest it is so.

I suspect that we will continue to flog this to death and never resolve it. Both sides of the camp can support their views. I suspect that we are reading into all of this more than was ever intended. Yes, inquiring minds want to know and that is healthy. I donít think a verdict can be handed down.

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

TC Gold #120

post #22 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 09, 12:14 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by prefectca View Post
I think this sums it up. Definately a Pontiac.
No, not at all. I have a manual like that for 65. It covers Pontiac and Beaumont and Acadian. That is what is meant on the cover.
GLHS60 likes this.
post #23 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 09, 2:34 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rich

What does it say on a Beaumont title? That might be the definitive answer.
post #24 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 09, 3:33 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big White View Post
What does it say on a Beaumont title? That might be the definitive answer.
Mine says "Pontiac two door sedan".
GM everything, Pontiac dash, Beaumont emblems..... it's like a Mutt. A heinz 57 car.

67' Beaumont - "the driving project"
06' Subaru STi - "the fast car"
post #25 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 09, 4:40 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rich

Lots of opinions here, so here's mine. Whatever the title says (like Steve's) is what it is. You can call it anything you want on the badging or not have any badging at all. You can put names on the literature or have no names at all. You can sell it at a Pontiac dealer or a used car lot, but the title is the legal description of the vehicle so if it says Pontiac on the title, it's a Poncho in my book.
post #26 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 09, 12:14 PM
Senior Tech Team

We dont have titles in manitoba, so what do we call them here? for many years the closest thing we had to a title referred to them as Chev-Beaumont, so would that make them a Chevy? ...then about 10 years ago or something they changed to Pontiac-Beaumont ...what makes the title issue less conclusive is that the since they typically require and manufacturer and model, then people were forced to call them something, not sure how they would have dealt with that... a beaumont-beaumont?
post #27 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 09, 12:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

If there labelled Pontiac anywhere in the world then they are Pontiac. Two different companies dont make the same car...

If you want to relabel your Beaumont to Chevy then I'll relabel my clone as a real SS...

Pontiac made it, Pontiac Titled it, Pontiac made the documents. Pontiac book, pontiac parts.

Pontiac.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
post #28 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 09, 1:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak 67SD View Post
We dont have titles in manitoba, so what do we call them here? for many years the closest thing we had to a title referred to them as Chev-Beaumont, so would that make them a Chevy? ...then about 10 years ago or something they changed to Pontiac-Beaumont ...what makes the title issue less conclusive is that the since they typically require and manufacturer and model, then people were forced to call them something, not sure how they would have dealt with that... a beaumont-beaumont?
Yeah, I hear what you're saying. I guess it can get cloudy at times. My '03 Suburban is noted on the title as being a Chevrolet, but even though the badge on the back door says Suburban, the title calls it a Carryall for model description.
post #29 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 09, 7:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
If there labelled Pontiac anywhere in the world then they are Pontiac. Two different companies dont make the same car...

If you want to relabel your Beaumont to Chevy then I'll relabel my clone as a real SS...

Pontiac made it, Pontiac Titled it, Pontiac made the documents. Pontiac book, pontiac parts.

Pontiac.

Your info is a little off here. Pontiac DID NOT build Beaumonts. They were built by GM of Canada. They were sold through Pontiac dealers. As AK said, a make and model is required when registering any automobile. Since they were sold through Pontiac dealers, Pontiac was used as the make.
James
GLHS60 likes this.

1968 Beaumont SD396

1968 El Camino

ACES #7986
post #30 of 313 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 09, 8:38 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big White View Post
Yeah, I hear what you're saying. I guess it can get cloudy at times. My '03 Suburban is noted on the title as being a Chevrolet, but even though the badge on the back door says Suburban, the title calls it a Carryall for model description.

Years ago, Suburbans, IH Travelall would be "carryalls"---(I think GMC used the model designation of Carryall.)

Jeeps, Bronco, Blazer/Jimmy, Scout would be "utility"

Have no idea how they are classified now that most everyone calls everything a "SUV" or "Crossover" (whatever the hell a x-over is)

Bryan's toyz

59 ElCamino 454/TKO 5spd--(daddy)
66 ElCamino 3oh7/TKO 5spd (mousey) Almost done
On the street now!!!

65 Ranchero v8/4-spd, that my uncle bought new
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1161 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.