Ever a 66/67 Beaumont wagon? - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Beaumonts & Canadian Built

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 08, 9:54 PM
Team Member
Paul

Re: Ever a 66/67 Beaumont wagon?

If I recall the Chevelle based cars in 1964 were badged "Acadian Beaumont". Just to make things really confusing!

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 08, 10:27 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Quote:
Originally Posted by prefectca View Post
If I recall the Chevelle based cars in 1964 were badged "Acadian Beaumont". Just to make things really confusing!

Paul
I'll confuse you even more!

The Acadian was a Chevy II, but in 62-63 the Beaumont was a trim level on the Acadian.

By 1964 Acadian was a division that produced the Acadian (Chevy II) and the Beaumont (Chevelle). Same thing in '65.

By 1966 an Acadian was the Chevy II derivative only, and the Beaumont was the Chevelle derivative (Acadian no longer was mentioned when you were talking of a Beaumont).

The Beaumont stopped (I believe, but I might be wrong) in mid-'69 when the Pontiac Tempest / Lemans / GTO was sold regularly at Pontiac-Buick dealers in Canada; the Acadian was dropped mid-'71 when the Pontiac Ventura II was released. The original Ventura was a trim level on U.S. Catalinas from 1960-70 (Ventura 1, I guess you could say).

The Acadian, which was sold only in Canada, was built only in Lordstown Ohio starting with the '68 models. The Tempests that were built in Canada sometimes came with Chevy engine and sometimes came with Pontiac engines. I have heard some people claim that Canadian GTOs came with Chevy big blocks. Never! The GTO was built in Oshawa for 1970 only, and it was Pontiac power only! BTW there was only one Canadian-built GTO Judge with 455 power. One!

I know of a small number of GTOs that were sold new in Canada starting in 1965, but it still cost the buyer in excise tax. From 1969-on the GTO was normal in Canada. Built in U.S only (except '70).

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TC Gold #120

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 08, 12:36 AM
Tech Team
Rob

Send a message via MSN to speedracer77

Wow, there are a few members in B.C. I'm in the southeast, near Cranbrook.

That wagon looks damn near rust free for a B.C. car!

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 08, 12:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer77 View Post

Not when you see it up close. As I stated in an earlier post, a friend of mine (mechanic) had to tell them it was unsafe and it had to be taken off the road.
Where does the "CANSO" come into the picture Cam? 1966?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	canso.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	15782  

Terry

ACES # 5021
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Last edited by bcice; Aug 30th, 08 at 12:46 AM. Reason: .
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 08, 7:25 PM
Team Member
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer77 View Post

Looks like they looked 25 years ago here in Ontario! And yes I would save it if it were closer. I sold my 66 Beaumont wagon in '78 and it didn't look as good as that one!

Paul
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 08, 1:02 AM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcice View Post
Where does the "CANSO" come into the picture Cam? 1966?
Bcice, the Canso series was around in at least 1965. I suspect the Canso name was brought in when the Beaumont switched from being an X-body series to an A-body carline in 1964. I don't have the 1964 Acadian reference material to verify it.

"Canso" is the name of a city in Nova Scotia.

Sorry I didn't answer sooner but I just got in from Niagara-On-The-Lake late on Sunday. Incidently I saw a beautiful 1963 Acadian Beaumont (Chevy II) convertible there tonight. It was stock, restored correctly and as nice as can be. White with blue interior and top boot.

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

TC Gold #120

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 08, 1:49 AM
Team Member
Paul

Here is a "Canso" brochure

http://www.up22.com/Acadian.htm

Paul
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 11, 5:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcice View Post
I wish I had known another member was in Port Hardy!! We could have had a coffee.... or beer!! That car is just down the road from me. I was told it was a one owner car and recently handed down to the elderly gentlemans grandson. A friend of mine is a service manager up here and they were going to put a new exhaust on it about a year agao, but unfortunatly the car is rusted badly on tha rear and had to be taken off the road
I just thought I would bring up this old thread to let Tom know this car is still sitting where he saw it last. Probably too far gone for repairs now but the kid is still "going to fix it up someday"

Terry

ACES # 5021
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3222 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.