RHD Beaumont - Chevelle Tech
Beaumonts & Canadian Built

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 06, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

RHD Beaumont

While surfing I came across those old listing of a '67 Beaumont Custom sport sedan. The car looks totally stock and solid from the few meager pictures. It has RHD, a 250 six, Powerglide, power windows... I wonder if it is a Canadian car sent to either Austalia or South Africa as a CKD (Complete Knock Down)? Does anyone know where in the world the '.za' domain that the e-mail link is going to?

I know ads aren't allowed in this forum. The ad is an old cached file and the e-mail is unreachable. The point is I want comments on the car.

http://www.collectorcars.co.za/class...0beaumont.html
I hate it when they call them Pontiacs, but even GM refers to them as such now.

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TC Gold #120

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 06, 11:15 AM
Senior Tech Team

Re: RHD Beaumont

Cool car, its weird seeing the dash set up like that (glove box is not a mirror of the lh drive)... and PW... couldn't see if it had A/C -didnt look like it ... would be interesting to have and would get some attention, but i wouldnt think it would have much value...

the e-mail is from South Africa, possibly province of KwaZulu-Natal ...

good luck tracking it down!

ak
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 06, 1:09 PM
Tech Team
Doug

Smile Re: RHD Beaumont

As with all other Beaumonts, these cars were built in Oshawa Ontario and shipped to commonwealth countries for final assembly and sale. Im aware of Beaumonts being available in South America, Austrailia and parts of Africa.

The Beaumont (Chevelle based) was available between 1964 and 1969. It was available up until 1972 in South America, though based on the 1969 body.
The Acadian (Chevy ll/Nova based) was available between 1962 and 1971. As I understand it, after 1968 the Acadian was built in the U.S. along side the Nova.
And there your history leson for today class.

CarTech Jan. 2011, Bill Jenkins "Grumpys Toys"

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 06, 8:13 PM
Senior Tech Team

did you see the other 67 they have green/gold int.? ...another 4 dr. though... that one is $7000cad, and the blue one is $9300cad... they have a LH drive 69 GTO that looks nice too...more $$$$

...different that they use a 1964 chevelle RH drive dash in the cars...

ak
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 06, 10:04 PM
Tech Team
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
I hate it when they call them Pontiacs, but even GM refers to them as such now.
Even though they have Chevy drivetranes they have alway been Pontiacs. The Pontiac Dealers in Canada wanted something to compete with the Chevelles and ChevyII's back in the day hence the Acadian's, and Beaumonts were born. It's too bad they didn't make the Beaumont for another few years. I would've liked to have seen what a 70-72 Beaumont would have looked like. I wonder how rare and valuable a 70 Beaumont LS-6 convertable would be now.

Sometimes a man's got to do what a woman would never consider.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 06, 10:41 PM
Team Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Redneck View Post
I wonder how rare and valuable a 70 Beaumont LS-6 convertable would be now.
AND WITH RIGHT HAND DRIVE TO BOOT! Now would that be cool!

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 06, 12:30 AM
Tech Team
Red

Hey Tom. It would sure be a hell of a chore getting used to speed shifting left handed though and I'm a southpaw.

Sometimes a man's got to do what a woman would never consider.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 06, 9:39 AM
Senior Tech Team

Beaumonts were not sold as pontiacs, they were sold through pontiac dealers as their own model line. There is no mention of Pontiac in the sales brochures or owners manuals.

But this is another topic for another day...

Cam have you heard back from the dealer on these beaumonts?? Have you priced out shipping?

ak
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 06, 6:42 PM Thread Starter
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak 67SD View Post
Cam have you heard back from the dealer on these beaumonts?? Have you priced out shipping?

ak
Well, since the dealer is in South Africa my e-mail inquiry isn't being forewarded from my ISP. We've all heard about Nigerian scams, as a result my ISP has actually blocked mail to and from that domain. I hardly get any spam now, but about 2 years ago I would get 50 to 100 spam messages a day. I am having second thoughts about e-mailing them even if I could.

Those '67s both have 250 sixes. The Sport Sedan is nice and has power windows. I gather from what is said that it also has p/s p/b. The firewalls are different on RHD A-bodies. There are brackets and bellcranks to switch the control to the wrong side, as well as an oil filter relocator on the sixes. From what I see in the assembly manual, the fuel & gas lines are swapped side for side. For overseas use the sedans were often the more popular choice. It also appears that the heater & defroster may not have been included on the RHD models. Often a less powerful heater could have been added as an option.

One thing I notice as well is the use of round reflectors on the rear panel on both Beaumonts. The curious thing is I have also seen those reflectors used on an overseas '66 Chevelle attached to a bracket and position just below the bumper.

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

TC Gold #120

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 4965 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.