Chevelle Beaumont??? - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Beaumonts & Canadian Built

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 06, 5:18 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Re: Chevelle Beaumont???

Still neat cars, maybe just because they're different to me and I like 'different' cars. Just enough so someone looks twice and still isn't sure what they're looking at.

As noted they may not say Pontiac in any literature but do they say Chevrolet in any literature? To me, if they're marketed through Pontiac dealerships, are mentioned in Pontiac service manuals, and the emblem is a modified Pontiac arrowhead, wouldn't one assume it to be a Pontiac before they assumed it was a Chevrolet? Maybe if the emblem were a bowtie with maple leafs.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 06, 5:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jake

Send a message via AIM to Skeeveman

Wikipedia to the rescue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acadian_(automobile)

540BBC
TH400 w/ 10" 3500 Hughes
12 Bolt w/ 3.55's
Best so far: [email protected] (Smokin' Mo-Kan Dragway, Hot Rod Reunion, 10-07-2012)
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 06, 5:53 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

That's cool, thanks! So they are neither a Pontiac nor a Chevelle but the Chevelle community considers them to be close relatives. Hmm..., so are they Pontiac Beaumonts, Chevelle Beaumonts, or just Beaumonts?

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 06, 6:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

Just Beaumonts Dale. From my standpoint, here are the MAKES marketed by GM of Canada in those years:

Chevrolet.
Pontiac.
Oldsmobile.
Buick.
Acadian/Beaumont.
Chevy Trucks.
GMC Trucks.
Cadillac.

Hopefully I didn't miss any.

Specialized Chevrolet Decals
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 06, 7:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale McIntosh
As noted they may not say Pontiac in any literature but do they say Chevrolet in any literature? To me, if they're marketed through Pontiac dealerships, are mentioned in Pontiac service manuals, and the emblem is a modified Pontiac arrowhead, wouldn't one assume it to be a Pontiac before they assumed it was a Chevrolet? Maybe if the emblem were a bowtie with maple leafs.

There is no mention of Chevrolet in any of the literature I have. The only thing that indentifies the Beaumont as a Pontiac is the lower part of the Beaumont spear. They do have a Pontiac dash and instrument cluster. My 68 has the same instruments as the 68 GTO and came with a 68 Pontiac 8-track tape player. There were not many SD396 Beaumonts built. There were less than 2000 big block Beaumonts built. I'm not real sure about other years but in 1968 there were 702 hardtop and 65 convertible SD396 cars built. There are only 8 known convertibles left. From what I have read and been told, it is estimated that between 10% and 15% of the ones built are still road worthy.
James
James

1968 Beaumont SD396

1968 El Camino

ACES #7986
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 06, 9:07 PM
Team Member
Jerry

I had always just assumed they were a Pontiac. I guess I was wrong. Not the first time. I guess they are kind of like the black sheep of the GM family I love em anyway

Jerry
65 Beaumont
L96 6 Liter
Straub hyd. roller
Tremec 5 speed

post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 06, 12:30 AM
Senior Tech Team
Gerry

Garage

This post reminds me.....I have to call the guy with the 69 Beaumont rag that has been sitting for 30 years and see if he wants to sell it yet!!! Man,I would love to get my meathooks on that car!! I wish he would let it go already!!???
Gerry.....

1970 Black Cherry SS396
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 06, 12:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_lightfoot
I think that 1968 manual needs to be read like this - "Pontiac and Acadian and Beaumont". Not to be read in this manner - "Pontiac Acadian, Pontiac Beaumont". Understand what I am trying to say? Am I making any sense?

I have always heard the "Acadian" was the early (pre-66) Nova twin, while later Nova twins were the Canso and Invader (Canso being nicer equipped models and the Invader being the lower cost version) and the Chevelle twin was the Beaumont (with "Acadian" being like "Pontiac" or "Chevrolet").

So saying "Acadian Beaumont" is like saying "Chevrolet Chevelle"...

I also read somewhere that the "Acadians" had "Pontiac" on the title... Something about "Acadian" not being recognized as a manufacturer...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 06, 7:12 PM
Tech Team

I'm not sure Wikipedia is truly definitive, look up Quadrajet and you'll see that they rely on contributions (not saying that I disagree with this article though). The border made for some interesting 'mistakes'. 50s Fords used Merc dashes (or vice-versa?).

I've seen plenty of Beaumonts, and this emblem (68) always made me suspect they're 'Canadian-Pontiac'. I figure it's clear as mud. Interiors were Pontiac, and they used Pontiac's leftovers - a good example would be the 68 SD396 using the 'old' 67 hood tachs.

Here's an eBay hubcap (67) with the same logo...
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 06, 8:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
James

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think any of the 68 SD396 cars had a hood tach. I know mine doesn't and I don't see the hood tachs mentioned in the sales brochure.
James

BTW, I want that 68 grill spear.

1968 Beaumont SD396

1968 El Camino

ACES #7986
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 06, 10:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Keith

Garage

Beaumonts didn't get factory hood tachs. No reason that a dealer couldn't have installed one though.
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 06, 11:43 PM
Tech Team
Aaron

Send a message via MSN to Aaron70Monte

Some Pics:

Aaron
1970 Monte Carlo - 92,000 miles
1972 Monte Carlo - 68,000 miles

post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 06, 12:04 AM
Team Member
Jerry

Nice pics Arron

Jerry
65 Beaumont
L96 6 Liter
Straub hyd. roller
Tremec 5 speed

post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 06, 5:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I always thought the Beaumont was actually a Pontiac because of the spear logo. Never really looked that close to see that it is indeed not an actual Pontiac logo. Learned something new from this post.

Its almost like a combination of GM's highly popular A body cars. If somebody wanted the looks of GTO and Chevelle with the power of a Chevrolet. They get the best of both worlds with those cars. Its like the Chevelle and GTO had a kid together.

Chris.

When the Boogeyman goes to bed, he checks the closet for Chuck Norris.

If it aint broke, just give me a minute.
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 06, 5:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom Lloyd

Garage
Thumbs up Re: Chevelle Beaumont???

Here is the front of the 67 shop Manual.

I also included the 67 Big Block/ SD trim picture. I am so envious of the Beaumont, I wish Chevelle had this trim!

Tom

Tom Lloyd

take my advice, I'm not using it.

Last edited by floyd66; Mar 18th, 07 at 5:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1030 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.