Option for running smaller tire on tubbed car - housing extension? - Chevelle Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 10, 1:33 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Craig

Option for running smaller tire on tubbed car - housing extension?

I figure that someone will have already tried this somewhere, but i can't find anything on the net about it...

My 68 is tubbed and can fit up to a 20" wide rim. Problem is that anything over a 10" wide rim is a problem with the local laws I have to deal with. The rear end is beautifully built, and it seems a waste of space and money to have a complete housing/axle assembly sitting around for when I want to swap between the big wheels and a set of 18x10 street wheels.

My question - has anyone seen a rear end housing extension before? I was thinking that you could buy two housing ends and weld them together with 3" tube joining them (to the overall 5" length that I need). This could then bolt up directly to the existing housing end so that the only changes I'd need to make from "pro-street" to "legal-street" is to remove the axles and brakes, bolt up the 5" extension housing, install longer axles and refit the brakes with longer flex lines.

I can't imagine that there'd be any deflection in the axle housing, but I wonder if anyone has done any torsional testing? Seems like a good way to keep the complete 3rd member, housing, hard brake lines, tailshaft, 4 link bars and coil-overs all in place without having to touch them...

Am I insane, or is this a feasible option?

Craig
68 Chevelle, 805 cubic inch 1458hp pump gas street car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 10, 9:43 AM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Option for running smaller tire on tubbed car - housing extension?

If it's a 9" type housing, I don't think it would be too bad to add the extensions and then put a new back brace on the housing and tie it all together. For a 12 bolt type housing, I think you could have the tubes removed and longer tubes installed.

Ray

Best pass 8.87 at 150.98 1.212 60'. Sold 3/2018

1970 SS 396 project in progress. Bought 5/2018
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 10, 10:37 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Smile Re: Option for running smaller tire on tubbed car - housing extension?

/// .... Geez I feel bad for ya. You have put all this time, energy and $ to get that car over there.. and the local police cant see clear to let you enjoy it. It is truly a 'one off' for your area.. and I am sure it does grab a lot of attention .. but come on!!! Let the man enjoy his car!!!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 10, 1:48 PM
Senior Tech Team
steve

Why don't you just get another housing the width you want and the weld on a separate set of brackets for the ladder bars/4 link in the same areas and then just bolt it in and put the smaller wheels and tires on them.

67 GTO more Chevelle than Pontiac.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old May 4th, 10, 4:24 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Craig

Ray and Steve - I was thinking more of a bolt-on option so that I could quickly change from one housing/tire width to another width without having to change out everything. I hate the idea of buying another COMPLETE rear end assembly, but I also hate the idea of having to remove a complete assembly only to strip everything off it to reassemble onto the other housing.

b-man I completely agree! Then again, I new the rules long before I bought the car, so I can't really complain...

I'm going to ship a cowl hood and some other bits over shortly, so I might have to bite the bullet and just order a wider housing/axle package

Craig
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old May 11th, 10, 12:02 AM
Tech Team
Mike

I hate to say it but I would do another housing with longer axles and brake setup.

Mike
69 Camaro, Prostreet, 502, 8/71 blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old May 12th, 10, 9:55 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Craig

Hi Mike. That's my reluctant decision. At least Strange have some killer pricing on their 35 spline S/T Series axles over here at the moment. I have a new set of wheels on the way - 20x10" on the back and I'm going to run a 305/50/20 tire so that it retains a pro street style with a big sidewall, but hopefully will attract a little less of the wrong type of attention...

Craig
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old May 12th, 10, 11:53 AM
Tech Team
Trey

I have been thinking of putting a original set of SS wheels on my car. I have the 9" as well. How much money would it cost to do this? I really hate the pro street look, but I bought the car already set up this way
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old May 13th, 10, 7:10 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Craig

Trey - I'm intrigued why you'd buy a car that had been "cut up" if you don't even like the style?!? You are a curious dude!
I'd guess a wider 9" housing would cost you $500. That should cover the purchase of an old Ford housing, new housing ends, new suspension mounts, etc. After that it's just a matter of ordering the right length axle kit, bend up a new brake line and you're done.
A complete housing with axles from a shop would probably be $1200 at a guess...

Craig
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 10, 5:49 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Craig

To kill this thread off - a final note to say that I went ahead and had a housing built to suit the 20x10 rear rims that I bought. I like the way the 32" tires look on the car, and the tire shouldn't pose any problem for street use over here. Good result!

Craig
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 10, 10:44 AM
Tech Team
Mike

Craig,

Glad you figured it out. Post some pictures of the rearend and new tires compared to the prostreet tires.

Mike

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 10, 4:15 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Craig

Hi Mike,
What's that saying... The only thing that remains constant is change???

I have yet again changed my mind. This time it's the tire size. The 32" tall tires were a bit too high for me to get the rear to sit low enough for my liking. It was really tight in the dog-leg area (is that what you guys call it - where the sill end and the rear wheel arch begins?), but it would have been achievable. The main problem was the top of the tire being only a couple of inches from the wheel tub at ride height.

I've attached some TERRIBLY POOR QUALITY photos taken from a 4 year old Nokia!!!

Here's the 20x10 rim with the 32" tire. It's a Sumitomo 305/50/20. This photo could easily look like a 17" or 18" rim, as the sidewall matches the rim size pretty well.

From another angle it shows that the tire doesn't really look very wide, even at 305 width. It sits reasonable well on the rim, but you could definitely go wider...

About an inch above ride height (just sitting in the wheel arch, not attached to the rear end)

Worst photo I've ever taken...!

Actually, no I think this one is. It's just to give an idea of what a skinnier / tall tire looks like in there...

I've since fitted 315/35/20 tires, which are a touch under 29" tall. At 35 profile, they're more "Pro Touring" than "Pro Street", but a 4.5" sidewall is still a fair bit larger than the front tires, so it all still looks in proportion.

The tire fitter scratched one of the rims fitting the new tire (yep - just what I wanted!!!), so I'll post up some clearer outdoors pics with everything bolted up when the wheel gets back.

Craig
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 10, 4:19 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Craig

To compare, this is what it looks like with Chrome 20x14 Coys. I like the idea of having the big/wide/shiny option if I'm in the mood for showing off, but the understated painted Boss wheels for keeping it low key.
I have a set of Weld Magnum Drag 2.0 15x15 for when I want to run a decent number at the track.

Craig
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 10, 5:51 AM
Senior Tech Team
Kory

I have always wondered if it was possible to backhalf a car for really wide tires, but not narrow the rearend so much and use wheels with excessive backspacing.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 10, 10:28 AM
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsolo View Post
I have always wondered if it was possible to backhalf a car for really wide tires, but not narrow the rearend so much and use wheels with excessive backspacing.
It could be done but dont know what stress it would put on the bearings.

I've seen T-Buckets with excessing backspacing before but they aren't as heavy as a chevelle.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in