LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 16, 2:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
Re: 1966 SS Convertible - All Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GLIDE- View Post
Car is now posted in the Classifieds. I can't give it away - it's an awesome car with some personal history + likely the best project I'll ever run across. It's worth $35K to me right now.

Personal history? I thought you previously mentioned you recently saw the car for the first time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by -GLIDE
I had known about and seen most of the cars over the past 25 years, but had only heard about this one until a couple months ago.

I'd agree with those other valuations on the previous thread, and say about $25k... If you market it better, maybe clean it and actually get it running/moveable (not necessarily driveable/safe) would be worthwhile. More pictures too, lots more ( The classifieds here only allow 3 pictures, so maybe include a link in the ad). Interested parties are going to want to see what they are considering, especially if it has a higher asking price, and if they aren't local, whats going to entice them? I think the damage (however minor, the passenger fender/door can't be buffed out) and the powerglide hold the value back a bit (the rust hole in the deck lid too, odd place for rust on an otherwise solid car).

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 16, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post

Personal history? I thought you previously mentioned you recently saw the car for the first time...
Accurate, seen for the first time recently. I've known the family for 25 years (and about this car) - geeked out on their non-project cars, went to car shows with them, stored my cars at their place occasionally (I had to buy one back once!), etc. I know this one was at the top of Allan's list and I almost feel like a steward to bring it back to life. Just not the best time in my life right now (2 small kids, one project in front of it, trying to start a business, etc.)

Quote:

I'd agree with those other valuations on the previous thread, and say about $25k... If you market it better, maybe clean it and actually get it running/moveable (not necessarily driveable/safe) would be worthwhile. More pictures too, lots more ( The classifieds here only allow 3 pictures, so maybe include a link in the ad). Interested parties are going to want to see what they are considering, especially if it has a higher asking price, and if they aren't local, whats going to entice them? I think the damage (however minor, the passenger fender/door can't be buffed out) and the powerglide hold the value back a bit (the rust hole in the deck lid too, odd place for rust on an otherwise solid car).
Appreciate the insight. Did you look at my ad or just making general recommendations? I'm not new to the car hobby, just Chevelles. I think I've done a good job portraying the condition of the car/project including 24 photos in the ad.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 16, 9:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Appreciate the insight. Did you look at my ad or just making general recommendations? I'm not new to the car hobby, just Chevelles. I think I've done a good job portraying the condition of the car/project including 24 photos in the ad.
I looked at the ad linked above, but I only see one single picture, not 24. I didn't think this site would host that many pictures for an ad, I thought three was the max... No link to photo storage site, etc...

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 16, 9:16 PM
Tech Team
John

He's just asking questions, why the comment?
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 16, 9:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Big Al

Quote:
I looked at the ad linked above, but I only see one single picture, not 24. I didn't think this site would host that many pictures for an ad, I thought three was the max... No link to photo storage site, etc...
The pictures are posted in the description body. It might be a formatting issue on your device but they are there and give what appears to be a good representation of the condition.

1968 Impala Turbo 6.0 798 RWHP

72' 5 speed LY6 Malibu-Sold

post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 16, 2:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeperBBC View Post
The pictures are posted in the description body. It might be a formatting issue on your device but they are there and give what appears to be a good representation of the condition.
Thats it... Usually I'll at least get a link or something even if the pictures don't show, but I only see the text on my device...

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 16, 6:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

since this is a WIW thread I would like to know how the OP got the figure of 35K. I get that this car is in a desirable state for most and is a very collectable car. but how does one come up with a price. to me it seems way high for a car that doesn't run drive drive

1966 Chevelle SS 396/360 M21 3:73 posi. silver/blue buckets

Maryland Chevelle Club #682
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 16, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithb View Post
since this is a WIW thread I would like to know how the OP got the figure of 35K. I get that this car is in a desirable state for most and is a very collectable car. but how does one come up with a price. to me it seems way high for a car that doesn't run drive drive
A couple months ago I paid what you all established it was generally worth in my first thread (consistent with this round where I am actually not the OP). It ended up being about 50% more than the next best offer, but "worth it" to me on a number of levels.

I'm not dying to sell it but $35 will take it - if someone can't live without it, it's probably still a fair/not great deal (in my book) for them. Then that sell price becomes what it is worth. As a non-Chevelle expert, I've spent the last 3 months researching the general market (as well as geeking on this car's specific mechanicals). Having scrutinized the car personally and interpreting relevant current market values/trends + actually receiving some strong offers already ... I'd value it between 25-35. So I ask the high side and try my best not to sell it.

Also, I'd definitely prep the car better: get it cleaned up and running and driving and stopping then running better then interior then replace all wearables then sheet metal repair/localize paint then A/C then... if I lived nearby the car. I'm 900 miles away. I go down to Dallas a couple days here and there, mostly so my kids can see grandparents. No tools/no time.

I'll put some elbow grease in when I bring her up to Colorado after my storage unit rental is up (end of October). I can't imagine a better winter project.

Hope that makes sense. Maybe convoluted logic but welcome to the depths of my car hobby mental justification.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 16, 3:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Hope that makes sense. Maybe convoluted logic but welcome to the depths of my car hobby mental justification.
Makes sense... If you are in no hurry to sell, nothing wrong with asking a little more... Most people will probably try to negotiate too...

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 16, 10:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

That driver's seat looks more worn than 92K!!
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 16, 3:30 PM
Tech Team
John

92k with that drivers seat and those aftermarket gauges under the dash is highly suspec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1238 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.