What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 16, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

My L89 El Camino

Hi folks,

I spend a lot of time posting about cars for sale, but never my own car until now.

I bought this El Camino a few years back with the understanding it was a 375hp aluminum head car. Engine and trans are missing. I ended up locating the original owner through a Craigslist ad who provided some great stories but unfortunately no paperwork. He was, however, more than happy to sign an affidavit stating he special-ordered the truck with the L78, L89, M22, and 3.73 posi (rear is still with the car). The truck needs everything and I don't have the time to undertake another body-off with a growing family. I've had the truck for sale for a while on and off, and am currently selling it for what I consider to be a reasonable price minus the original 3919842 aluminum heads (I thought it might help the sale by knocking a few thousand $ off the price).

I do realize buying a filthy project in pieces isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I sincerely believe the original owner, or possibly a subsequent owner I've contacted, will locate the original paperwork...and if I had the storage space available I would just ride it out. In my case, I'm paying to store the truck so it's time to find a new owner.

Do you think my current price is realistic? I'm pretty confident it will part for more but I'd really rather not do that to a rare truck.

Any thoughts, opinions, gripes, would be appreciated!

Chevrolet: Chevelle SS396

Tony N.
Chevelles, Camaros, and Pontiacs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 16, 1:26 AM
Senior Tech Team
billy

Garage
Re: My L89 El Camino

bet that was one bad-ass 69 elco in cortez silver ! what a crying shame the drivetrain has been seperated from her ! need to call csi to find that block ! what proof other then the previous owners word is there that this was the 375hp alum. head option L89 ?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 16, 9:37 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Way to much rust. If the frame is good, IT NEEDS A BODY. No documentation. I do not believe the asking price will draw much intrest. It also need a drivers door , The bottom is rusted away.
Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 16, 9:56 AM
Tech Team
Dwight

I looked at your ad on ebay a while back. When I got to the picture of the gauges I decided it wasnt real because of the redline of the tach. Is the cluster out of this car? Shouldnt it have had a high redline? That was my main concern.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 16, 10:07 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyLS5 View Post
I looked at your ad on ebay a while back. When I got to the picture of the gauges I decided it wasnt real because of the redline of the tach. Is the cluster out of this car? Shouldnt it have had a high redline? That was my main concern.
Same tach redline as my Canadian 69SS which came with a 325hp 396. 5500 rpm redline.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 16, 10:09 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

I don't think what it might have been makes any difference, what it is now is what counts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 16, 10:20 AM
T_R
Senior Tech Team
Tom

That's a massive project. I think your problem selling is that most of the parts have deteriorated from bad storage and it would take too much to get them show condition. Somebody who doesn't care about show condition and could live with the condition of everything as a driver with maybe just some paint isn't going to be willing to reassemble the car. It's stuck in a weird limbo IMO.
blue_69_malibu likes this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 16, 10:21 AM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

The "challenge" that you are facing with this car is that the alleged drivetrain makes it special......but there is essentially no drivetrain left AND no paper work supporting your claims. What is a prudent person/buyer to think? What is truly special or unique at this point? By itself, the affidavit is essentially worthless, IMHO. It will only be meaningful when paperwork or parts show up.

Regrettably, I think this is a tough sale for you.

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 16, 10:55 AM
Senior Tech Team
Robert

I agree with everyone else; what it was, unless somehow you can prove, it means nothing. It's just a '69 camino that needs a lot of work with a lot of parts that don't help the sale. I wouldn't call it a parts car but if it get worse it might turn out to be one. I wish you the best, however it's going to be a tough ride to get her sold.

'67 Elky Global West suspension kit with coil over QA1's, 435hp Edy Crate,700R4, Currie +9 3:75, Disc brakes front and rear, Dakota Digital gauge package, 12 Circuit Painless wiring kit, Ididit tilt Colum, etc.
2012 HD Tri-Glide in Vivid Black.
1967 XR7 Cougar S code 390.
2016 Charger R/T in Purple.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 16, 11:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rob

take the documentation that DOES exist, maybe an emblem or two, a few pieces of the rusty metal with numbers......put it all in a picture frame and call it a day.
find the 69SS elco ad from a magazine and make a display out of it.

RIP 69SS El Camino

ROB

69 El Camino

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 16, 11:19 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Robert

Garage

Did you look for a build sheet? It is great you found the original owner, can he tell you the dealership he purchased it at? Are they still around, if so call and see if they have any doc on it? Does the rearend code match the 373 gears. I would hate to see a "RARE" vehicle be sold for parts. Maybe one of the 69 guys might be able to help you on this site?

Always learning something new everyday. Hope I remember it when I need it, but I wont.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 16, 1:47 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Thanks for your opinions guys. The body is actually in great shape with the exception of a bed brace in the rear, some rust on the driver's side floorpan that can be fixed with the standard patch, and a little rust around the front and back windows. The quarters, fenders, and driver's side door were all GM NOS. I may loosely assemble and powerwash it to make the body condition more obvious because it's one of the cleaner project cars I have owned.

Dwight, the tach was replaced under warranty according to the original owner. He thinks he stashed it away in his garage and promised it to me if he could find it. The dealer must have replaced it with a 325/350hp tach - whatever they had on the shelf at the time.

Again, appreciate all the comments, I'm not taking anything personally. This actually is a very worthy project car whether the drivetrain ever shows up...I just hope I can find the right home for it.

Tony N.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 16, 1:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak1 View Post
I agree with everyone else; what it was, unless somehow you can prove, it means nothing. It's just a '69 camino that needs a lot of work with a lot of parts that don't help the sale.
I agree too...

Basically, you have no documentation. Now, we here at TC know you and are inclined to believe you, but outside of that... And even if we believe you, its really no more valuable than a cool story.

A signed affidavit is pretty much meaningless, IMO... Cool for you, but I doubt any buyers are going to pay more because the supposed original owner signed a paper... Kind of sucks, I know. I lost the paperwork for my '66 SS years ago (and several moves)...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 16, 2:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
I agree too...

Basically, you have no documentation. Now, we here at TC know you and are inclined to believe you, but outside of that... And even if we believe you, its really no more valuable than a cool story.

A signed affidavit is pretty much meaningless, IMO... Cool for you, but I doubt any buyers are going to pay more because the supposed original owner signed a paper... Kind of sucks, I know. I lost the paperwork for my '66 SS years ago (and several moves)...

I hear you Tony. I don't attribute a lot of value to the affidavit other than lending some credibility to the story, and if someone was inclined to buy it and start an exhaustive search for the drivetrain, it might help that person make a decision....

Tony N.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 16, 2:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Hi Tony,looks like a cool project. I bet it looks better in person as dusty or dirty parts always look worse in pictures.
Bottom line: hopefully you bought it right and won't lose any money when it sells.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1178 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.