Team Chevelle banner

1968 SS 4 spd

3K views 39 replies 17 participants last post by  blm 
#1 ·
I'm buying a 68 SS Chevelle 4 speed with a 454 in it. The 454 is fine but I would like to know if replacing it with a 396 would make any difference in the value of the car because it will not be the original engine either? Also it needs to be painted so should I go with the original color or the one I like the best if that does not affect the value once finished? Last the proper SS stripe on a 68 goes in front of the hood, down the front fenders and continues past the door. My preference is the 2 stripes that go down the hood and on the trunk. Once again will that have a negative effect on the cars value once complete? Thanks for your inputs.

#4 ·
If you are going to keep it, as said above, do what makes you happy. If the car is destined to be resold you want it to appeal to the largest number of people in a cost effective manner. If the original color is unpopular changing it shouldn't matter, as long as the work was done well. Stripes are really subjective, maybe do them in vinyl so they can be removed at a later date.

Steve R

#7 ·
The trend seams to try to put the true 138 VIN Super Sports back to the way they looked from the factory appearance. Keep the 454 and dress it as a 68 396, paint it the original color, put disc brakes on it, and factory style wheels. That will max out the value if your plan is to sell it soon down the road after it's done. Are you doing the bodywork and paint yourself?

#8 · (Edited)
Prices for 1968 138 cars are nuts. I've been watching prices for a couple of years now and they're on the rise again. A few weeks back, I posted a car on here for advice. I was thinking 23k, tops. There were some warning signs that were brought to my attention, sobriety kicked in, and my wife and I decided to stay home instead of going to look at it. It was a 138 car, 454, TH400. Needed paint, attention under the hood, exhaust, and other things. Seller was asking 28,900. It's still for sale. I'm assuming that's because of its many faults. My guess, when all is said and done, is you have a car worth between 25-35k. All depending on the finished product, of course. As far as stripes go, I'm not a fan of the stereo stripes on anything besides a '69 Z/28 or a 70-72 Chevelle. But, it's your car so do with it as you wish. Keep in mind, while I'm looking at cars, I pass on anything 1968 with the stereo stripes. Just my personal preference.

Reactions: Steve R
#9 ·
I have a 68 with the racing stripes on the hood and trunk, that's the way I bought it. I think it looks OK, but if I would do it again I would probably go with original 68 SS stripes.
Not too many people know that's not the correct stripes, so I don't worry about it too much. if you like it then put them on.

#10 ·
I have a 68 with the racing stripes on the hood and trunk, that's the way I bought it. I think it looks OK, but if I would do it again I would probably go with original 68 SS stripes.
Back in '88 I did my 68 Chevelle (non-SS) that way. Looking back, I wish I would've went with the original color and the correct stripes. Everyone has stripes on their hoods/trunks. Nice to see something different once in a while.

#13 ·
SS cars in '68 came with either corvette style rally wheels or steel wheels and some different hub cap options. I believe 14" diameter by 6" wide was the standard size. Someone will surely chime in if I'm wrong, which is likely. As far as correct goes, if it were my car, I'd make the choices to my taste. You'll be the one driving it and enjoying it, make it what you want.

#12 ·
Definitely keep the 454.

I have a 454 in my 68 ragtop. It's dressed up like a period 396 and you'd never know unless you checked the numbers. I've never seen anyone at a local cruise night checking the numbers on my block.

As for the color and stripe, at the end of the day it's your car and you should do what YOU like. If you are fixing it up with the mindset that you are going to one day sell the car, then by all means try to keep it stock looking.

#15 ·
OK, here is the latest information. The paint code is R-2 which I'm told means red with a black vinyl top. Two questions, if I don't install a new black vinyl top as it currently does not have one and I'm not a fan will that have a negative effect on the value of the car once complete and what color should the SS stripe be? Thanks again.

#17 ·
I don't think NOT having a vinyl top will hurt the value. Frankly I've NEVER been a fan of vinyl tops and when I was Chevelle shopping I passed right over any potential car based on seeing a vinyl top.

Since we already know that the numbers matching motor is gone, changing to a hardtop look shouldn't hurt anything because you are already "not original".

#31 ·
They are hard to find. I paid 250 for mine missing one lock and set of seat tracks. I got mine from a junkyard for old cars. Impala seats are the same except the seat track. Hence the one missing track on mine. Call these guys they can track one down if they don't have it.

Sundell Auto Specialties
1105 Mooresboro Rd.
Shelby, NC 28150
Phone: (704)434-6759

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.